Looking for unusual apple stories

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I'm looking to find some unusual stories about apples that I would like to share with some people that I'm trying to get interested in apples. Below are some examples of what I'm talking about:

1. How that the original Red Delicious was chopped down with a hoe two time before the farmer decided to let it live.

2. How that the Starks built a steel cage and put an electronic alarm around Golden Delicious to keep people from stealing scion wood.

3. How it is told that the Mattamuskeet Apple came from a seed found in the gizzard of a goose.

If you have any stories like these that are interesting, I would love to hear them. They don't have to be about a famous apple, and anything you are willing to share would be appreciated.

Last edited:
4. How Bill thinks it’s probably better to just bury the cash he pays for trees in the ground because somethings going to kill them anyway. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

sorry had to.....

4. How Bill thinks it’s probably better to just bury the cash he pays for trees in the ground because somethings going to kill them anyway. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

sorry had to.....

LOL Bill....you got me on that one. I was ready to hear a good story....:emoji_grin:

I pulled into the field last night and surprised a doe and fawn eating apples they kind of took off trotting away and the fawn dropped the apple she had in her mouth and she turned around and went back to pick up.Then she all the sudden must have remembered why she was leaving.I have never seen that before.I like the fun facts you have.But I would get them to grow pears

I remember hearing something about a guy named Newton.

I used to pick fallen apples off te ground in my orchard and eat them.... until I put a couple trail cameras in the orchad and watched 20 does and fawns poop and pee all over the orchard. I pick my apples off of the trees now. Where the birds can poop on them in peace.

sorry had to.....

There is an easy solution. Send the cash to Sandbur!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to pick fallen apples off te ground in my orchard and eat them.... until I put a couple trail cameras in the orchad and watched 20 does and fawns poop and pee all over the orchard. I pick my apples off of the trees now. Where the birds can poop on them in peace.

Go back to the old way and build character (and your immune system)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph's Apple. Around 1910 Joseph Popek came to American from Yugoslavia bringing a seedling apple tree with him. He settled in Virginia and planted the tree which proved to be very resistant to apple cedar rust, fireblight, scab, and powdery mildew.
Keim apple. Found growing near an abandoned Indian village in Berks Co. Pa before 1800.
Isam apple. Originated on the farm of Isam Misenheimer (1818-1897) and still grown by the Misenheirmer family of North Carolina.
Ophir apple. Collected as a root sprout at an old sawmill in the early 1900's in North Carolina.
Mary McKinney apple. A wild seedling found growing in southwestern Virginia near the grave of a woman named Mary McKinney

I just watched one of those unexplained shows. The story was about" ghost apples". There was a polar vortex in Michigan and the farmer went to check damage to his apple trees. His trees had no real apples but where there once was apples these apples formed out of ice. They looked just like a apple just clear.

A few years ago I bought a bare root tree from Raintree Nursery grafted from cutting off one of the few surviving Johnny Appleseed apple trees with legit provenance. He was big through my area and is buried about forty miles from me so it is kind of cool history to have on the farm. My tree is about eight foot tall now and it's neat to point it out to friends as we walk the orchard.

https://raintreenursery.com/products/johnny-appleseed-apple-semi-dwarf

aCMWgwL.jpg

When my family first moved here back in the late 60's one of the farms my Dad rented had a good sized active sheep pasture on it. There were a few old apple trees along one of the fences and one had a crow bar that someone decades earlier had left in the crotch of one of them and the tree had completely grown around it, I always thought that was interesting.

A few years ago I bought a bare root tree from Raintree Nursery grafted from cutting off one of the few surviving Johnny Appleseed apple trees with legit provenance. He was big through my area and is buried about forty miles from me so it is kind of cool history to have on the farm. My tree is about eight foot tall now and it's neat to point it out to friends as we walk the orchard.

https://raintreenursery.com/products/johnny-appleseed-apple-semi-dwarf

aCMWgwL.jpg

When my family first moved here back in the late 60's one of the farms my Dad rented had a good sized active sheep pasture on it. There were a few old apple trees along one of the fences and one had a crow bar that someone decades earlier had left in the crotch of one of them and the tree had completely grown around it, I always thought that was interesting.

That stone picture is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Hidden Rose (Mountain Rose, Airlie Red Flesh) The history of Hidden Rose began over 50 years ago in Airlie, Oregan, where cowboy Lucky Newell bought 80 acres in 1959. According to Lucky's daughter Sandy Revelle, the young apple tree's discovery was a happy accident. Says Revelle " We were all riding horses and dad reached up and grabbed an apple, took a bite, and it was red inside. I remember him saying, " Its as red as your lips honey" and he looked at mom". Lucky Newell didn't take the rosy fruit to market, but he did sell the farm in 1966, leaving the unique seedling behind. Fast forward 20 years to the 1980s: Its autumn and Louis Kinsey is strolling through the Newell's old orchard, he plucks an apple from a mature tree and takes a bite to find a surprise, the same bright flesh that made Lucky wax poetic two decades earlier.

I have a pair of very large old apple trees at the end of my road. They have large apples every other year and start dropping in August. A couple years ago I went to pick some and found an old gentleman (70’s)picking them. He told me his grandma used to bring him to these trees. He said there used to be 4 of them around town but these were the last two. He told me they make the best sauce and pie he has had but you better hurry because they turn to mush in a week. Interesting if those trees could talk and what they have been through. Sadly I checked on these trees yesterday, one is almost dead and the other is struggling.