Looking for Chinese chinquapin

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
Looks like I waited to long and the wildlife group isn't selling them this year. Is there anywhere else y'all know where I can buy some? I am not opposed to growing my own if anyone knows where I can buy seed also. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could help. Perhaps in a few years. I first tried buying seed from Schumacher who got them from China and it was a disaster. They sent the wrong seed (Henri I think) and it was moldy and I got zero germination. I could not find another source for seed. last fall I bought 4 trees from the wildlife group and potted them up in 3 gal RB2s. 3 survived and I got a few nuts with them growing on my deck this summer. I hope to start those nuts within a week.

Since these nuts seem so hard to come by, I plan to keep these trees in containers on my deck for several years to harvest nuts and grow them. If everything goes as planned, I should have enough nuts in a few years to start offering them up, but that will be a while.

I know there are some others on this forum that have some of these planted. Perhaps they can help with nuts.

As I recall, on another thread, someone talked to Alan. Evidently the Wildlife Group has not stopped selling them. They just had a bad year for nuts and are rebuilding stock.

Thanks,

Jack

As above ^^^

Source for seguin remain elusive

bill

What is the reason for the Chinese variety being wanted? Different growth rate or pattern?

I've thought about grabbing some Allegheny...

They reportedly do well in sandy soils ,are drought tolerant,and produce at an early age

Allegheny chinkapins seem similar and do well for me in east texas

bill

What is the reason for the Chinese variety being wanted? Different growth rate or pattern?

I've thought about grabbing some Allegheny...

I have Allegheny growing natively on my property. They do very well, but they are susceptible to blight. Unlike their cousin the American Chestnut, the blight does not stop them from producing nuts. They die back and in a year or two re-sprout from the stump and produce again. There is a time period between succumbing to the blight and when they produce nuts again. The nuts are pretty small; smaller than a marble. There is one nut per bur and it is more round than a chestnut with no flat side.

The Dwarf Asian Chestnuts (Seguins, Chinese Chinquapins) are not really a chinquapin (which I originally thought due to that common name). They are actually more closely related to the chestnut. The nuts are smaller than American or Chinese chestnuts, but there are typically 3 nuts per bur. Like Chinese chestnuts they are resistant to the blight. The thing they have most in common with Allegheny Chinquapins is that they take on a more bush like form and can produce nuts in just a few years.

For example, I bought some from the Wildlife group early last winter and potted them up in 3 gal RB2s. I woke them up early in Feb and put them under lights. They were small, no more than 20" or so. There are pictures on another thread. I don't know how old they were but I presume they only had one growing season before I got them. They product catkins and some burrs even before I moved them outdoors in April. They produced the first nuts in August (probably because of the early wake-up) and then more in October.

I have none in the field yet. So I don't know how they will fair in may soils/climate for sure yet. But, blight resistant, produce nuts in a couple seasons... what's not to like?

I'm not counting on them. I'm also propagating my native Allegheny Chinquapins as well.

Thanks,

Jack

One source, maybe: http://stwildlife.com (they call them "everblooming").

Unfortunately, it's listed as zones 7-9 so us Northern guys are left out in the cold (pun intended).

Unfortunately, it's listed as zones 7-9 so us Northern guys are left out in the cold (pun intended).

I'm not so sure...I've seen lots of zone numbers thrown around for these: http://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Castanea+seguinii This one shows zones 5-9.

I'm in zone 7, so I think I'm safe.

Thanks,

Jack

This source has a link up saying their plants are already waking up so they have stopped shipping. Does this sound right to anyone?

This source has a link up saying their plants are already waking up so they have stopped shipping. Does this sound right to anyone?

Could be I think they are in zone 8a.

I could be wrong, but I think I saw that message on their website a month or so back when looking for the same. I think they haven’t updated the site. You may want to check with them to confirm. It definitely doesn’t sound right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk