Link to peliminary 2014 Wisconsin 9 Day gun season totals

Wow, I haven't seen any bowhunting harvest numbers....but it sure looks like WI may come in around 250K for a total kill. Never thought I'd see that happen there. Pretty sure the totals were higher than that when I was in high school in the early 80's.

Also interesting to note that even though the northern part of the state was largely buck only (besides youth and crop depredation), antlerless deer still made up over half the total harvest.

Historical harvest going back to 1966

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/deerhistory.pdf

ELH ... I agree that there are areas of the state where deer numbers are down, it is difficult. I hunted northern Wisconsin in the Eagle River - Phelps area for many years. For whatever reason, I was able to shoot a deer every year there. The first year I took a doe and was labeled a "meat Hunter" ... the next year I took a small spike buck and was some type of hero hunter. Have also hunted in many other parts of the state.

The common theme I run into is that hunters who are willing to shoot a doe have a different attitude and view towards hunting than those who refuse to. Those that will shoot a doe see opportunity and somehow have a successful season, those that won't, always seem to be complaining about no deer.

End of the day ... the glass is either half full or is half empty ... if hunters are not seeing deer, maybe they need to examine their hunting tactics and skills.

Funny thing about the northern Wis hunters I knew, was that those who always complained about no deer, couldn't stop talking about all the deer ay their back yard 100 lbs piles of corn ... opps ... I mean "bird feeders" every night during gun season. :rolleyes:

I'll be done discussing the low deer numbers here. I just wanted to stress that in SOME areas, does should not be shot, until the herd can rebound to sufficient numbers to withstand it.

Trempealeau county was third highest (6,079) and the CDAC recommendation is increase.

Waupaca & Marathon have a maintain CDAC recommendation.

Is Trempealeau county trying to move up in the list of deer killed? Probably wouldn't happen in the short term, but if the herd does increase there, and stays the same in Waupaca & Marathon they may have a chance. Second place would be easily reachable...1st might take some effort.

I'll be done discussing the low deer numbers here. I just wanted to stress that in SOME areas, does should not be shot, until the herd can rebound to sufficient numbers to withstand it.

Strawhead ... definitely agree, as I stated about EAB, it should never have been used in some areas of the state.

Must be Southern Trempealeau making up for it because it was pretty quiet on the North End.

Must be Southern Trempealeau making up for it because it was pretty quiet on the North End.
They do shoot oodles of deer south of Independence and Whitehall, basically anywhere south of Hwy 121.

Yep, gotta love gun party hunting." Hey kid, we filled your tag, now get me a beer".
NoFo, you forgot the part about the kids continuing to hunt after that. "After you get me that beer, you and your brother line up on this next drive and walk through the nasty bedding thicket where you can't see 10', so you can chase out another deer and the adults can fill your little brothers tag.":rolleyes::mad:

deerkill.png

The 45 day forecast looks to be more mild that the past couple of years and not nearly as much snow. Actually looking at the next two weeks, we could be in for a brown Christmas in Western WI.

The 45 day forecast looks to be more mild that the past couple of years and not nearly as much snow. Actually looking at the next two weeks, we could be in for a brown Christmas in Western WI.

Swawnv ... hopefully that helps your hunt!