Linear field edge vs. giant block of apple trees

Would you plant 150 apple trees all in a block or all along the North edge of a field/woods edge?

• Plant in a block - 24'x'24' spacing

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Plant in a West/East straight line - 1-2 row along North field edge/woods.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

silver_yummies

5 year old buck +
Curious to hear your thoughts on how I should plant out my next 150 or so apple trees over the next 2+ years. I've got an open field that is like 400 yds long West/East by 50 yds deep North/South. I can plant these trees in a solid block evenly spaced at say 24'x24' spacing on the Eastern side of the field. Or I can run 1-2 rows along the North field edge that butts up to the woods the entire 400 yds in length.

I only thought to plant in a block style but someone had mentioned they'd actually run them along the woods edge and use the open field for other food plot plantings. I just don't like the idea of having apple trees that far spaced apart vs. in a block where I know the deer will enter or atleast travel to.

Give me your thoughts.

That much room, and that much trees, I'd be tempted to do blocks. I group them with similar drop times, so you might have better success with short range implements, like muzzleloader or bow.

I would also ask the people who provide the trees what would be a good polinator for those group of trees.

IF you find someone local, you may be able to get trees a bit too large to ship, possibly a year more mature.

Thats alot of trees in a short period of time. You might find in that short period of time, your soils might like a certain rootstock over another, or have a preference towards a type of tree. You might find specifc troubles to growing trees and loose alot, like voles or bears.

I'd do 25 at a time or less. Do some in the spring, then find a suppliers who send out in the fall.

I like long lines of movement for hunting opportunities. I'd go with the linear option.

If you go the North (wood edge) route, make sure they're far enough away from the tree line root zone (a mistake I've made).

I would do both. plant some small blocks, maybe 10-12 trees with 3 rows, in the open field allowing for space for food plot plantings. this will draw out the does and then bucks looking for does in the rut. Then plant a line along your treeline. This will be for the mature bucks that are on the transition at dusk/dzwn and may draw them out a bit further.

We don't have any single "lines" of apple trees at camp. We have a central, main orchard, and also apple & crab trees planted as singles, and groups of 2 to 6. We planted those "outliers" based on available trees to place stands in for archery season.

As a general layout, all our fruit trees are in the central part of our camp property. This was done to give multiple sites & trails to intercept deer coming in from the heavier cover that make up the majority of the property. If we planted apple trees at the borders of our place, deer could just step over the lines, eat a bit - and then return to the other properties. We wanted maximum exposure for the most shooting opportunities on OUR land.

Not saying it can't be done in other ways - that's just how we did ours.

I would do both. plant some small blocks, maybe 10-12 trees with 3 rows, in the open field allowing for space for food plot plantings. this will draw out the does and then bucks looking for does in the rut. Then plant a line along your treeline. This will be for the mature bucks that are on the transition at dusk/dzwn and may draw them out a bit further.

That's an interesting idea. Have you tried it?

Nice. How far from the edge do you recommend planting the line to trees to draw bucks out?

Nice. How far from the edge do you recommend planting the line to trees to draw bucks out?

It can depend on the sun exposure angle but generally 30'-40'.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info