Field or trees?

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
So I dont have much property but it borders some great land, one being a farm. The front 4-5 acres was a hay field last year. i did plant a bunch of sprouted acorns and what not. Not sure if they took it not as the hay is high. Anyway, is it better to ask the farmer if he wants to use it for hay, or let it grow back to woods? The back 1 acre or so I have a bunch of apple trees planted so those would stay. Any thoughts?

You need to evaluate the land within 1-2 miles of your place and see if cover or feed is more critical as well as what will hold deer on or near your property. What works will vary with your region and location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am surrounded by open ag in southern Michigan and created 15 acres of solid cover. Several thousand spruce and shrubs and that area is now a magnet for all wildlife. Best thing for hunting and observing wildlife we could have done in my opinion. I had lofty expectations when I convinced my dad to take it out of ag, but 12 or so years later and it has tremendously improved our hunting and general wildlife use. I have a few hundred fruit, chestnut, and oak trees in there too, but I am sure it is the cover and browse that is really holding the wildlife

how many total acres and what is there makeup maybe an satellite photo of property.

Idk if this helps at all. Some big bucks use the property (in search of does). My fruit trees are some of the very few in the area. The woods to the south no one is allowed to hunt and the woods to north is only hunted by the family that owns it. The clear area (farm) to the north is 100+ acres of pasture /hay fields. No crops in this picture.

Attachments

• 05166E36-D571-4440-BE24-F89B7A997BFD.jpeg
    05166E36-D571-4440-BE24-F89B7A997BFD.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 33
What type of woods do you have in the pucture? Is it thick or open?

Not real open. All,hardwoods. Lots of undergrowth

Not knowing what everything looks like on the ground, I'd be tempted to thicken up the woods by releasing the desirable trees, keeping some strategically placed travel corridors. And then planting apples and a variety oaks in the opening with some possible evergreen screens.

I agree with Teeder I’d canopy release any existing mast trees best bang for the time/money spent. It’s where I would start.

Thanks!