All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limb Grafts

greyphase

5 year old buck +
After the loss of over half of my bench grafts because of potting them in fresh mushroom mulch (a lesson I won't forget :mad:) the bright spot of this years grafting has been my limb grafts. Here's a few pics of my successes.

An Arkansas Black.
6-21-15%20046_zpsszkzgbdl.jpg

Canadian Strawberry.
6-21-15%20048_zpsza02pxul.jpg

Liberty.
6-21-15%20051_zpsxhqvppq3.jpg

Grimes Golden.
6-21-15%20053_zpsps9ioowo.jpg

With the success of my limb grafts I know that my grafting "skills" are OK and am already planning on next years bench grafts.

Yep. Good job.

You convinced me to try that on some of my old native trees

Were these all cleft grafts?

They look great!

Were these all cleft grafts?

They look great!

Yes the pics are all cleft grafts. I did some bark grafting too. This is the first year I tried bark grafting and had about a 50% success rate.

Was the mushroom mulch new " hot " stuff ?? Not aged & composted ?? Limb grafts look real good, Rick.

Was the mushroom mulch new " hot " stuff ?? Not aged & composted ?? Limb grafts look real good, Rick.

Yes it was "fresh" mushroom mulch. It was a hard lesson to learn so now I'll have to graft even more trees next spring to make up for this mistake :D:D.

Do you have access to the older aged stuff ??

Yes the pics are all cleft grafts. I did some bark grafting too. This is the first year I tried bark grafting and had about a 50% success rate.

Only 50%?!? That's odd. I did 2 bark grafts this year and had only 50%, but that's also a super small sample size. But I had almost 100% on bark grafting for the first time this year. I think the two that failed didn't get enough sun, so they didn't get their leaves out. But I haven't yet given up on them because the buds started swelling a bit.

Any particular reason you did cleft rather than bark?

Only 50%?!? That's odd. I did 2 bark grafts this year and had only 50%, but that's also a super small sample size. But I had almost 100% on bark grafting for the first time this year. I think the two that failed didn't get enough sun, so they didn't get their leaves out. But I haven't yet given up on them because the buds started swelling a bit.

Any particular reason you did cleft rather than bark?

The size of the limbs that I was grafting to were better suited (I thought) for cleft grafts. This was my first year for bark grafts and will definitely be trying again next spring.

I think mine were so small that they were probably better suited to a cleft graft, but I heard that it was harder (i.e. lower % success). Yours sure look great!

NW Greening on a flowering crab.
1435069200988.jpg

1435069217348.jpg

I did a bunch of limb grafts a number of years ago on my old place. I did whip/tongue, but that was well before I had learned much about grafting. I had pretty good success rates using W/T though...actually better than the rootstocks/scions I did back then. Those trees were my first attempts at creating a "Frankentree"...gotta get back to trying that again at some point
Come over and give me a hand on the flowering crabs, or on the T-buds that are supposed to arrive this summer!

August will be here before you know it. Time is flying by this year. Days are already getting shorter.
I doubt you can get enough water to make the bark slip on this light soil in August. I tried last year. My grin order got converted from scion to T-buds.

There's got to be a point this fall when the bark slips. Right? That's when you'd do the t-buds.
Can it get to be too late in the season at some point?

We have had dry falls and summers. Hopefully not this year, just reasonable amounts of rain.

I saw my first center pivot irrigator running on the way to work this morning.

Can it get to be too late in the season at some point?.

Yes. The bud needs to heal into the tree before the tree shuts down for winter. I would say at least 21 days before the first killing frost, maybe even before that. I cant say that I have ever seen in print a definite amount of time.

Yes. The bud needs to heal into the tree before the tree shuts down for winter. I would say at least 21 days before the first killing frost, maybe even before that. I cant say that I have ever seen in print a definite amount of time.
Do you T bud onto any age of growth? This year versus last year or much older?

The last year or two of growth. Older growth is going to have thicker bark and be harder to work with.