Remember your first graft cut, ever....

cavey

5 year old buck +
IMG_1583.JPG
First cut, literally …. This was my introduction to grafting… First tongue and whip cut ever – felt like it went to the bone – tossed the root stock to the side and grabbed another – second attempt – same result!,… sitting there bleeding to death with 98 more root stocks to try and graft.

Wish I would have found this site two years earlier – anyways learned a good lesson, good tools = less blood loss and that its easier to learn from others mistakes.
IMG_3723.JPG
So this is One of my best buys ever... made the purchase after the first batch was done and have never regretted it...

Well a couple hundred plus T/W grafts later and I tripped onto this site. I’ve been lurking; thought I would jump in and say hi and thanks… I just did my first few T – bud grafts from info gained here and they seemed to go well – no cuts or even nicks. Pretty cool to be able to get my grafting fix twice a year now.

Knock on wood I havent had a bad cut, though this year I did manage to cut the pad of my thumb this year and after a week of solid grafting it was dang sore! Glad to have you aboard.

Mine was this spring. The master grafter in the class I took said that if you haven't cut yourself yet, your not an experienced grafter. A few weeks after the class, I became experienced. I'm on a blood thinner so from the blood you would think I was dying. The knife was so sharp it looked like a scalpel cut! It healed up nicely with a tight Band-Aid.

Thanks,

jack

Mine was the first time I used my Tina grafting knife. I hadn't used a knife that sharp before and it went right through the stock and my finger like butter.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I haven't done much grafting ..... yet ..... but I make the tapered cuts on the scion with blade going AWAY from me - so no cuts from that !!!

It's that tongue cut you have to watch out for, or at least me lol.

MH - I do cleft grafts, so no tongue cuts here !! ^^^^^ I'm sure I'll slip up and bleed at some point. Duct tape wraps on finger tips for me !!

Ha!

I guess I'm apprehensively looking forward to my first grafting wound..another year or so before my trees are big enough to really start messing with. I sure am looking forward to it though, keeping an eye on every apple tree in the county I am interested in getting scions from!

I had a knick on my thumb while t budding last year. Nothing this year.

For bench grafting this year, I used a cut resistant glove (Kevlar?) to hold the rootstock while making clefts. It was a little inconvenient to put on and remove for each graft. I suppose I could have prepped several rootstocks at a time but I was taking my time.