All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's talk Wolf River

You will notice the tree I posted above has a it of a lean to the left. That's because when this tree did put out its only fruit it was up top and I should have removed it but didn't. Lesson learned.

Thats pretty straight for an apple!

Let it set one on the other side this year.

If you decide to only plant varieties that have no issues, you won't plant anything except rare varieties no one discusses.. Depending on where you look, WR is disease resistant for some things and quite a few nurseries include fire blight as one of those but often with a caveat "more resistant than most other varieties". The USDA GRIN data base rates their WR as moderately to very susceptible to fire blight. There is a Purdue extension listing of DR trees that rate for scab, fire blight, powdery mildew and rusts. That list rates WR as moderately susceptible to fire blight.

Disease tends to be local. Many people might never have a problem. They will love and recommend it. Those who get bit will tell people to avoid. No different than looking at the reviews of anything on Amazon. High average rating but 10 to 20% 1 star. If the one you got works, you like it. If not, " I'm never buying another thing made by ________"

Last edited:
Yep. Where my camp is, we have no cedars anywhere around for miles, so CAR not a problem for us there. Like Chickenlittle said - disease tends to be local. Fire blight no different, except it's a BACTERIAL disease, not a fungal one. Some areas get hit hard with FB, where others not so much. Climate plays a role too.

48d51a14d9880f72af15a600471fffec.jpg

Check out the battle scars on this one. I remove half of the fruiting wood every other year to keep the wr trees from oversetting and breaking. Its biennial, so on fruiting years, the growth is minimal and requires less pruning.

Are your WR all biennial Ben, or do you have any with some annual bearing traits?

They are generally biennial if you let them go. Heavy fruit limb pruning can help with that, but no guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk