leexrayshady's orchard

leexrayshady

5 year old buck +
Just a bunch of pics I took today of my apple trees
first off a couple of rind grafts
state fair and honey crisp on a unkown crab tree

chestnut scion onto a flowering crab

my new try at fencing my grafts most of these are b118 with a few red splendor crab rootstock as well

2013 harelred

2013 whitney crab

some die back on this 2013 sparten

Honey crisp from Henry fields

Lee could you give a brief explanation of a rind graft?

2013 sweet sixteen

2013 nova spy I beleive

2011 Burnd ride sweet sixteen

2010 Honeycrisps will they ever fruit :(

more of the 3 2010 honeycrisp

My favorite tree a 2011 Chestnut crab blossoms again this year hopfully and apple or two

More chestnut

a 2011 nw greening that got hit with sun scauld a few years ago hanging in there

2011 Whitney, from my baby apples thread, finally some apples

2011 whitney from Burnt Ridge this thing has been picked on by the deer until i finally put a decent cage around it, it to had blossoms this year but if anything sets I will pick them off as I want more growth

My favorite tree a 2011 Chestnut crab blossoms again this year hopfully and apple or two

Are you saying Chestnut crab is your favorite apple?

Sound like someone I know.

2011 Fireside blossoms as well

Are you saying Chestnut crab is your favorite apple?

Sound like someone I know.

Probably Art even though I havent tasted one yet:p. I say its my favorite cause it is one of the first I planted and is the biggest, also chestnut scions seem to really take for me when I am grafting

Honeycrisps on standard rootstock?
I think so Stu I got them from the local nursery I assume they came from baileys. I thought maybe this year I may see some blossoms but i did prune them a little hard trying to get the lowest branches to 5 ft

Probably Art even though I havent tasted one yet:p. I say its my favorite cause it is one of the first I planted and is the biggest, also chestnut scions seem to really take for me when I am grafting

I should not brag yet, but I think chestnut crab is one of my grafting successes from the class.

scion was from one of the first apple trees I ever planted.

Lee could you give a brief explanation of a rind graft?
during mid spring when the host tree is starting to push leafs, saw a good size branch off, slit the bark vertically, shave you scions to a point and insert into the pocket you made

I seal mine up with toilet bowl wax and elecrical splicing tape

you can get really good growth by mid summer
20130803_101120-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Super nice growth on those trees. You must be doing something right :).

Lee-How long do you leave the electrical tape in place? Should the scion be collected in winter like other scion?

Lee-I would like to see the ripening dates and date/length of drop time for the whitney. I do not have a whitney.