leexrayshady's orchard

Thanks Greyphase,

Art I usually leave the tape on till july or august, you just want to make sure it dosnt girdle the tree, and the scion is taken just like you would for other grafting methods, late spring before the buds wake up

Lee-I would like to see the ripening dates and date/length of drop time for the whitney. I do not have a whitney.
According to my notes the whitney ripens around August 28th according to my internet reasearch, My parents had one near their house that died a few years back, and if I remember correctly, it would drop allot a once but some wold hang on and still be there in spring.

I know of one whitney that is about 100 miles southwest of you and it has occasionally ripened in late July. More often early August. It just might be the climate and location-a southeast facing slope, in a farmer's yard, and an area that gets an earlier spring.

At one time, I found something on the internet that there are two different crab apples that are occasionally called whitney.

I should not brag yet, but I think chestnut crab is one of my grafting successes from the class.

scion was from one of the first apple trees I ever planted.

Honeycrisp are very slow to start doing much fruiting, at least here in southeast Ohio. I have several on M111 rootstock that I planted in Spring 2007, and this year is the first year I am getting more than a handful of fruit from any of them. If your tree is on standard rootstock, I'm guessing you can expect to possibly wait even a few years longer than on M111.

Honeycrisp are very slow to start doing much fruiting, at least here in southeast Ohio. I have several on M111 rootstock that I planted in Spring 2007, and this year is the first year I am getting more than a handful of fruit from any of them. If your tree is on standard rootstock, I'm guessing you can expect to possibly wait even a few years longer than on M111.
The chestnut is on B118.

Honeycrisp have not done very well for me.

a follow up pics on some of the rind grafts
this chestnut on a flowering crab continues to be very good

Im a litte worried about this double I should have probably just kept the state fair on the right but thought the branch could handle it now the left side honeycrisp is starting to lean,

and the union dosnt look healthy to me, am I just over concerned?

I hope you guys appreciate the next couple pics I fell off the ladder to get them :),

swarr scions

golden sweet, this is why you dont put all your eggs in one scion only 1 of 4 took

another swarr

a siberian crab that I planted several years ago that through dormant pruning has finnally really taken off

and look two apples

this is an unkown variety and I cant wait to see what it is, I got it from a nursery on special cause the tag had fallen off, I did take off some apples that had odvious insect damage should I take off more to avoid limb breakage?

am i correct in assuming the cracks on the skin is russeting? or am I wrong

the first year apples on the this zestar are starting to get bigger, cant wait to dive into these

whitney crab starting to get some red

Nice pics Lee!

Nice pics Lee!

Yes, leexrayshady, thanks for taking the initiative to take us on an orchard tour. Maybe that will prompt some of the other guys to do the same (hint hint).

I'm jeaulous, Lee. I have only a handful of regular sized apples this year, unless I have missed a tree or two.

I will have some chestnut and dolgo crabs, but not many.

Lots of water sprouts this year.

Nice pictures of your trees. Looks good

Leeks, those pics are FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for posting them. You do some great work, there. I did not know you could use scions which were that big around. Way to go! How hard does the wax get once you set it in place? Does it stay soft or does it harden up like glue?

leex, once you taste the Chestnut crab apples, they absolutely WILL be your favorite apples. These little guys are absolutely addicting. Sadly, the Chestnut crab is a rather low vigor tree which means you need to have quite a few of them so has to have a lot of Chestnut apples in the fall. With a high vigor tree, such may not be the case and one of those will provide more than enough fruit to keep you happy. My 60 foot lateral spread astrachan is an example of a very high vigor tree. Even a whole herd of Bambis can't eat all the apples from that tree. They sell well also. People like them; deer like them and the tree puts out enough to satisfy everyone's needs. Not so with the Chestnut. There is never enough of them on any one tree. I have four of them but only one is old enough to fruit. I am hoping to graft a few next spring onto my PA apple seedlings.

Chestnut is one of Malida's (many) offspring released in 1946. They believe it is Malinda x crab. Honeycrisp is another Malinda descendant. The "father" of Honeycrisp is unknown and has been long discarded. Regarding the Chestnut crab, one of the big apple magnates of UM, Dr. Luby, has been working on the Chestnut apple for years. I have actually corresponded with him. He has not been able to replicate that unique nutty flavor not withstanding efforts in that direction. It seems to have come from the unknown and long-gone crab and can't be replicated - at least not thus far. Malinda, the "mother" of Chestnut, produces very dull and dry tasting apples, however, Malinda has thrown out more winners than any other apple. Malinda's genes permeate UM's entire line of winners in one form or another. BTW, Honeycrisp, which went off patent a few years ago made literally millions for UM is the grandchild of Malinda. Honeycrisp is UM biggest all-time money maker ever. They made millions on that apple - no doubt they were sad to see that patent expire. Here is the irony of it all.

Honeycrisp was marked for the trash heap during the early trials. The six trees original trees in the test plot were marked with orange tape which means the wrecking crew would be taking them out shortly and trashing the trees. One of their head apple evaluators was walking through one day and he happen to notice that the six trees had survived in a location on the test grounds where virtually no other apple made it through that particularly harsh winter. They were to be axed because they came through the winter in very poor shape but they survived where no other apple did so. Accordingly, he removed the orange tape (he had the authority to do so) which meant the trees were going to have a second chance .................and the rest is history. They had not yet fruited when they got the orange tape. Subsequent DNA testing on this tree, revealed that the propagators had mislabeled the parents when they made the original cross back in 1963. These trees (Macoun and Honeygold) were not either of Honeycrisps two parents (which should have been obvious enough to anyone who ever saw or tasted the apple; it is not at all like either of those two apples). So much for competent help.

Rather, DNA testing revealed that the "mother" tree was Keepsake (which apple the Honeycrisp greatly resembles) and the "father" was some unknown apple whose DNA was to be found nowhere in their orchards. The "father" apple had been long since discarded from the orchards. Malinda? Well, it seems that good ole reliable Malinda was Honeycrisp's "maternal" grandparent via Malinda x Northern Spy whlch cross had produced Keepsake. Honeycrisp inherited Keepsake's long storage quality. That makes their former best seller, Haralson, the half-cousin of Honeycrisp. It also means that the Chestnut crab is yet another half-cousin of Honeycrisp since they both have the same common grandparent (Malinda). Again, Malinda, is a very boring - nothing-to-write-home-about - apple which produced a whole host of big time cultivars and lots of revenue for UM. This very ordinary and nothing special apple (Malinda) was brought to MN via scions carried by some guy who moved to MN from Illinois. The scions came from a tree which was growing in his parent's front yard. My guess is that, when he moved, he wanted to bring a part of his former home with him. This ordinary, nothing special, Malinda, produced millions of dollars of revenue for UM and lots of happy apple fans (like us)

Last edited:
This is an awesome thread. Learning a lot.

Scentrails,

I never realized how absolutely INTERESTING these hunting forums can be. I have no interest in hunting so you would think there would be nothing of interest therein for me. Instead, I find all manner of absolutely fascinating threads which talk about horticulture and the outdoors - two topics very near and dear to me. Who'd have "thunk it." It seems that hunting types are very interested in tree growing, food plots, grafting, land management and all manner of outdoor type topics. I just took a look at the mushroom thread (I am very interested in mushrooms, as well) and I was blown away - PURPLE mushrooms! On the whole, this is a very interesting place where one can learn a whole lot of useful information even if they don't hunt.

Scentrails,

I never realized how absolutely INTERESTING these hunting forums can be. I have no interest in hunting so you would think there would be nothing of interest therein for me. Instead, I find all manner of absolutely fascinating threads which talk about horticulture and the outdoors - two topics very near and dear to me. Who'd have "thunk it." It seems that hunting types are very interested in tree growing, food plots, grafting, land management and all manner of outdoor type topics. I just took a look at the mushroom thread (I am very interested in mushrooms, as well) and I was blown away - PURPLE mushrooms! On the whole, this is a very interesting place where one can learn a whole lot of useful information even if they don't hunt.
Glad to have you. I came to the forum only for hunting but after a couple years that is the last thing I stay for. Now I am all about the trees and habitat.

Scentrails,

A lot of the hunting community truly love the habitat and fooling with growing all sorts of things to improve our property's and also help others along the way!