Latest to fall-plant trees in Northern PA

I plant my grafts throughout November every year and have never lost one yet due to the time of planting. I just dig a hole and throw them and fill it back up, definitely no special process. Just make sure you get the cage on them as soon as they are in the ground, I have thrown some in before and planned on caging them the following day, they rubbed and killed every one overnight. Felt pretty stupid after that one. That is northern PA and western NY. This year will be a bunch or 30-06, Drop Tine and Grey ghost that I grafted. Plant them when it is convenient for you in the fall and have no worries.

I have planted apple and pear here in December with very hard frost in the ground and trees turned out fine. Didn't have much choice it's when trees I wanted showed up. Biggest thing is to get all air pockets out of dirt and tamp it down good.

I do like planting in fall to get all the benefits from snow melt and spring rains ...but planting during the hunting season is a PIA.

I have planted apple and pear here in December with very hard frost in the ground and trees turned out fine. Didn't have much choice it's when trees I wanted showed up. Biggest thing is to get all air pockets out of dirt and tamp it down good.

I do like planting in fall to get all the benefits from snow melt and spring rains ...but planting during the hunting season is a PIA.
yeah im trying to avoid planting during the season...I think if I tried to plant in December here I would have use a snow shovel and a pick axe....

Put in 2 peach trees last week...in the middle of a thunderstorm...this was my first experience with 3 gallon trees and I have to say they are alot easier to plant than bareroot...I don't think too much watering will be necessary as Northern PA has been swamped lately, though it will be interesting to see how they do compared to the trees that I planted this spring.IMG_4691[1].JPG

Just spent the last 3 days planting my grafted trees. Should be 100% survival rate If past years are an indication. Also planted some $60 Rhododendron around the house that I got from Lowe’s for $8. They are basically giving away all the shrubs and trees they have left. I have cashed in on this deal the last several years. Everything is 75% off, but I have been able to work a few better deals with the right manager.

JFsAYPm.jpg

Just spent the last 3 days planting my grafted trees. Should be 100% survival rate If past years are an indication. Also planted some $60 Rhododendron around the house that I got from Lowe’s for $8. They are basically giving away all the shrubs and trees they have left. I have cashed in on this deal the last several years. Everything is 75% off, but I have been able to work a few better deals with the right manager.

JFsAYPm.jpg
My orchard plot is landscaped with various dogwood and nine bark shrubs from the Lowe’s end of the year sale. Because they were intended to around a patio deer are more drawn to them than other varieties. My biggest score was about a dozen flowering crabs that were 10 gallon and about 9’ tall. I got them for $5 each if I agreed to take all of them. I left them in the pots all winter and planted in the spring. All but a couple are doing well today.

I don’t think you have to water those peach trees for a while Derek. That same weather pushed me back at least a week, but I got these two trees planted on November 5 - one Swarr, one Frostbite. I have 3 more to go before I am done for the year. Kinda like what the old-timers say about pruning… the best time to plant is when you have the time to plant, hopefully!

Swaar
2021 11-05 planting day 02.jpg

Frostbite
2021 11-05 Planting day.jpg