Latest to fall-plant trees in Northern PA

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Hello everyone,
Just wanted some thoughts on the latest date I should plant fruit trees in the fall (or even if this is a good idea). There is a small nursery right down the road from me that I guess usually has some "left over" trees that can be had for a good price at the end of the summer. Just wondering how late I could still get these in the ground and have them survive and thrive? Looking at pears/apples/peach trees.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I've gotten leftover big box store trees but I bury the whole pots in my compost pile/garden over the winter and then plant them where I want them in the spring. Not exactly what you want to do but another option. Not sure how much growth I lose that next year either but they've all lived and are doing well. I plan on ordering some trees from Blue Mountain this fall and will probably do the same with them. I don't want to disturb my property that much in the fall.

I've gotten leftover big box store trees but I bury the whole pots in my compost pile/garden over the winter and then plant them where I want them in the spring. Not exactly what you want to do but another option. Not sure how much growth I lose that next year either but they've all lived and are doing well. I plan on ordering some trees from Blue Mountain this fall and will probably do the same with them. I don't want to disturb my property that much in the fall.
Not too worried about disturbing the property, as it's my front yard/field and most of the deer activity is above/behind the house. Like that idea of burying the tree in the compost pile, as I have a spot where that could work. Does Blue Mountain do fall orders? I usually spend too much already during the fall, but what could a couple more dollars hurt? haha thanks!

I am probably not the best to answer, but I do know some guys I know actually prefer to plant in the fall after their trees go dormant. They claim it gives the tree time to add root structure before leafing out but none of them are experts per-se. In our area the ground is frozen so I always question how roots can push through frozen dirt, I have always been skeptical of this claim. I have trees coming from Blue Hill this fall (supposed to be a spring order) so I suppose I will find out lol
Now I feel inclined to look it up, anyone have any experience on this topic to clarify? The problem with Googling things is you never know if it is an expert or someone that likes to hear himself talk while claiming to be an expert on the other end.

I did find this article that seems convincing and non-biased for my zone. Some of the problem comes to different zones, like my example. Blue Hill is in Pa and I am in Central NY. Warmer climates like Pa trees will go dormant when I have snow already so I am not sure how to prepare for fall plantings from Blue Hill if my ground is frozen. I have considered digging the holes early and covering them so I can just drop the trees and cover with dirt.

Not too worried about disturbing the property, as it's my front yard/field and most of the deer activity is above/behind the house. Like that idea of burying the tree in the compost pile, as I have a spot where that could work. Does Blue Mountain do fall orders? I usually spend too much already during the fall, but what could a couple more dollars hurt? haha thanks!
They go on sale September 1st after the growing season. I assumed it was for the fall but maybe I assumed wrong. I can ask him. I only live about 1/2 hour from the nursery. I've only ever bought cheap trees from Lowes in the fall. But a year ago I bought a good honey crisp from the county conservation district and was impressed by how much better it was (structure and growth). So I'm going to break down and buy some good trees. I also bought them indiscriminately not knowing drop times. Now that I know about that sort of thing thanks to this website I want to get some late droppers and some crab apples.

I've planted when they are dormant and up to freeze up.
Trying to avoid planting during archery season, which starts early October here in PA (I want to be swaying in a tree, not planting them). Would planting earlier (I am thinking early to mid September) be very detrimental? Thanks!

Derek, I’ve planted into November on my parents farm near you. As long as you can dig, should be good. If I can, I like to water them afterward.

Derek, I’ve planted into November on my parents farm near you. As long as you can dig, should be good. If I can, I like to water them afterward.
Nice! I was thinking might be a good "Indian summer" Saturday project when its too hot to be in a stand in early to mid October.

Hello everyone,
Just wanted some thoughts on the latest date I should plant fruit trees in the fall (or even if this is a good idea). There is a small nursery right down the road from me that I guess usually has some "left over" trees that can be had for a good price at the end of the summer. Just wondering how late I could still get these in the ground and have them survive and thrive? Looking at pears/apples/peach trees.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Depends on what they have "left over" and what you are planting them for. Since you live in Pennsylvania and IF you are planting for wildlife I'd recommend going with Blue Hill who's been mentioned several times or Whitetail crabs https://www.whitetailcrabs.com/ both are in Pennsylvania so their advertised drop times should be spot on for you. I've bought from both companies and highly recommend them both. Blue Hill has a LARGE variety to choose from , Whitetailcrab's bread and butter is their "Top 3 trees" Droptine, 30-06 and crossbow and I think they have maybe 4 more varities . Just an observation, the Whitetail crabs trees were substantially larger than what I received from Blue Hill.

I am pretty much just confirming what others have already offered. I plant the vast majority of my apple trees from early September to late November with excellent results. My preference it is to plant after the leaves have begun to drop off, but before the ground is frozen. Also, I add lots of water as I plant to settle the soil around roots. Come spring, these trees are ready to take off. That Indian Summer Sunday is perfect timing - good luck!

Depends on what they have "left over" and what you are planting them for. Since you live in Pennsylvania and IF you are planting for wildlife I'd recommend going with Blue Hill who's been mentioned several times or Whitetail crabs https://www.whitetailcrabs.com/ both are in Pennsylvania so their advertised drop times should be spot on for you. I've bought from both companies and highly recommend them both. Blue Hill has a LARGE variety to choose from , Whitetailcrab's bread and butter is their "Top 3 trees" Droptine, 30-06 and crossbow and I think they have maybe 4 more varities . Just an observation, the Whitetail crabs trees were substantially larger than what I received from Blue Hill.
I have 3 liberty apples from Blue Hill that are doing great! I planted them in mid to late April (which I thought was pretty late), but they are all doing very well.
I bought a droptine and a couple redfields and a from Whitetail crabs and they are unbelievable! I planted them in early April and the Drop tine was just a little skinny stick....it now has tons of leaves and the redfields are doing even better! I will definitely be buying from Whitetail crabs again.

I'm sure the nursery where you might buy these trees has carry-over inventory - in pots. Ask them what they do. The problem is moisture - and a small root system. If you buy and plant before dormancy then the root system will need to stay moist to maintain the water flow system within the tree. Xylem and turgor pressure concepts being what they are. The stress on the tree is less in winter, but extended periods of frozen-solid soil filled with moisture is just like a desert. Point being, to keep the probability of of tree death low it's good to do something to keep the tree's mini root system in unfrozen soil. Mulch and deep snows are good considerations!

I have 3 liberty apples from Blue Hill that are doing great! I planted them in mid to late April (which I thought was pretty late), but they are all doing very well.
I bought a droptine and a couple redfields and a from Whitetail crabs and they are unbelievable! I planted them in early April and the Drop tine was just a little skinny stick....it now has tons of leaves and the redfields are doing even better! I will definitely be buying from Whitetail crabs again.
2020 was the first time I ordered from Whitetail crabs , and the trees were huge....branched out and almost the same size of a potted tree from Tractor Supply. My 2021 trees from Whitetail crabs weren't as big , BUT they were still double the size of another popular online nursery's trees I received this spring . For only being in the ground since 2020 I'd say my Droptine is loaded with fruit , at least 3-4 dozen good sized crabpples maybe more . I picked the fruit off last year, I'm hoping they draw some deer in this year , and I'm going to watch to see when they drop.

2020 was the first time I ordered from Whitetail crabs , and the trees were huge....branched out and almost the same size of a potted tree from Tractor Supply. My 2021 trees from Whitetail crabs weren't as big , BUT they were still double the size of another popular online nursery's trees I received this spring . For only being in the ground since 2020 I'd say my Droptine is loaded with fruit , at least 3-4 dozen good sized crabpples maybe more . I picked the fruit off last year, I'm hoping they draw some deer in this year , and I'm going to watch to see when they drop.
I would be very interested in the drop time of the drop tine and will definitely be getting several more of those along with a few of the other "top 3" and the others from Whitetail crabs. I was fortunate enough to be able to go and pick up my trees and talk a bit with Terry and he was awesome to learn from and speak with. Terry told me he has had people get a significant amount of fruit the 2nd year after planting. He even convinced me to take a few other trees home with me (not a hard sell by any means) and the growth on that drop tine and a few of the redfields has been way greater than all of my other trees.

Last edited:
I would be very interested in the drop time of the drop tine and will definitely be getting several more of those along with a few of the other "top 3" and the others from Whitetail crabs. I was fortunate enough to be able to go and pick up my trees and talk a bit with Terry and he was awesome to learn from and speak with. He even convinced me to take a few other trees home with me (not a hard sell by any means) and the growth on that drop tine and a few of the redfields has been way greater than all of my other trees.
I'm in zone 7 My Droptine and 30-06 planted in 2020 have been my fastest growers , I have one crossbow planted the same year but it hasn't put out any fruit yet. If no birds or animals pick off the few dozen fruit I have, I hope to get an idea of their drop times this fall here in the south. I'm thinking about getting a Redfield or Antonovka to try from Whitetail crabs next spring. If you don't have a .30-06 tree I suggest you get a couple .

I'm in zone 7 My Droptine and 30-06 planted in 2020 have been my fastest growers , I have one crossbow planted the same year but it hasn't put out any fruit yet. If no birds or animals pick off the few dozen fruit I have, I hope to get an idea of their drop times this fall here in the south. I'm thinking about getting a Redfield or Antonovka to try from Whitetail crabs next spring. If you don't have a .30-06 tree I suggest you get a couple .
I am in zone 5 so I would expect a little less growth. I am definitely going to get some of the .30-06 (hoping for ~4-5) along with several more droptines. I could always subtract a few weeks from your drop times or just keep a real good eye on mine next year. I also will be getting some of the crossbows, as Terry did a demonstration with those and the droptines about how the limbs are super flexible and can just flex and spring back when a bear gets into them....as bears are my only real concern for the trees that I have besides bugs, bunnies, groundhogs, too much rain, too little rain, hail, wind, too much fertilizer, not enough fertilizer, weeds, vines, poison ivy, etc etc etc.. haha

The nursery will heel them in for the winter if they dont sell them and their roots and the ground around them will freeze.... Buy them, without the pot, heel them in the spot where you want them for next year - and........ in the spring just forget about digging them up.

Just cage stake and and screen them this fall. Pre plant weed spraying would be smart; I would wait till they are dormant and you can still dig to plant, mulch is good idea if its not up against the bark. Freezing roots isnt an issue otherwise the planet would be devoid of trees in our areas. Freeze thaw cycles are. Our frost depth here can be 42" ground roots and all freeze, that is normal,.... That being said dont over water and turn the root ball into an ice cube, dont fertilize. Mulch will stabilize the surface ground and the first handful of inches of soil and prevent freeze thaw, freeze thaw cycling. Treat the roots with the same care you would if you were bare root planting - root shock is real, they can dry out in the fall in the process of planting.

Late Fall is an excellent time to plant because you can get some good deals on trees. Dont over think it and just reap the rewards on some late season bargains ....