Late dropping apples for Deer

That's interesting. What do you think causes it? Elevation? Terrain?
it’s because we start warming up earlier in the south. And people south of me start before I do.

Before I retired I had a client in Alabama that I visited often. When my pears were still blooming I would find pears down there already the size of a nickel. Warm temps are a major factor in breaking spring dormancy.

it’s because we start warming up earlier in the south. And people south of me start before I do.

Before I retired I had a client in Alabama that I visited often. When my pears were still blooming I would find pears down there already the size of a nickel. Warm temps are a major factor in breaking spring dormancy.
Somehow I brain farted on your zone, my zone and my zone at camp, which is the same as BlueHill.

If you didn't know, Blue Hill isn't that far of a ride from you. You can pick up trees, and they won't be trimmed for shipping.
Do that for all my orders from BH and Whitetail crabs..both within driving distance!! The trees I got from BH were so big last year that I had the tops poking me in the shoulder on my drive home! Some were 8-10’ tall!

Do that for all my orders from BH and Whitetail crabs..both within driving distance!! The trees I got from BH were so big last year that I had the tops poking me in the shoulder on my drive home! Some were 8-10’ tall!
Same. I had to leave the truck cap glass open. This year I ordered the two year old premium trees. I wonder how much bigger they are.

Same. I had to leave the truck cap glass open. This year I ordered the two year old premium trees. I wonder how much bigger they are.
I got a premium once. Wasn't noticeably taller but tree diameter was about double. It's grown much more in the 2 years it's been in the ground.

Larger trees are worth it. Paid 80 bucks for one from a local nursery. Even with the rootball mess ypu cpuld see the difference with a bigger headstart.

If drought is an issue id say smaller with big roots is better.

Whitetsil has fall orders. Thats a huge plus for a good headstart. Especially if you cant water often.

Last edited:
Larger trees are worth it. Paid 80 bucks for one from a local nursery. Even with the rootball mess ypu cpuld see the difference with a bigger headstart.

If drought is an issue id say smaller with big roots is better.

Whitetsil has fall orders. Thats a huge plus for a good headstart. Especially if you cant water often.
I have always bought the standard large size 4'-6' tree from Whitetail crabs , I see Terry even has some Premium 6'+ trees this year.

For 2025 I ordered four of my usual 4'-6' trees , and three 2'-3' foot to try. While I'd rather have his larger trees, this year Finances are a little tight , so I got the smaller Redfield, Golden Hornet and a Death wish to save a buck or two. Has anyone had good look planting Whitetail Crabs smaller 2'-3' trees ?.

I have always bought the standard large size 4'-6' tree from Whitetail crabs , I see Terry even has some Premium 6'+ trees this year.

For 2025 I ordered four of my usual 4'-6' trees , and three 2'-3' foot to try. While I'd rather have his larger trees, this year Finances are a little tight , so I got the smaller Redfield, Golden Hornet and a Death wish to save a buck or two. Has anyone had good look planting Whitetail Crabs smaller 2'-3' trees ?.
Think you'll be fine. IT is easier to get a higher percentage of the roots out i good shape the smaller the tree is. I moved some trees I had in the ground 2 years last year. There were roots over 6 foot long. Likely these trees are alot like home grafted ones. Grafted in the spring and grown over the year.

IF you look closely, you can see the growht line where it stopped growing / pruned, then grew again the next year.

Thanks guys. Just when I swear I'm done planting more trees I find this thread and now you've got me making a list of late dropping apple trees that I want to try next year.