Landlord's habitat improvements (I hope)

At least you don't have to dig any waterholes ;)

I would like some opinions on this idea. The woods next to my house in menomonee falls has a lot of wild grape growing in it. It seems to kill some trees it grows on, so I am not sure about taking some cuttings up to the cabin. I don't see many vines up there when walking the woods, but I don't want this to be invasive... comments and opinions are appreciated.

At least you don't have to dig any waterholes ;)
That I don't, but I have read that they will get used if I put them close to the food. So I was thinking of adding one on the edge of the plot. So much work, so little time.

So your soil is very much like BJE's place with the standing water in the woods. That will make it even more important to choose your future plot locations wisely.
who??? can you give me a link and I will check out his posts.

bueller got it.......his land is near Antigo, so it is a ways away(about 2 hours east), but very much the same situation as you.

I would like some opinions on this idea. The woods next to my house in menomonee falls has a lot of wild grape growing in it. It seems to kill some trees it grows on, so I am not sure about taking some cuttings up to the cabin. I don't see many vines up there when walking the woods, but I don't want this to be invasive... comments and opinions are appreciated.
I would not purposely plant wild grape vines, but that is just me. I dislike the way they choke off good trees. Pretty hard to control if they do become invasive.

I would not purposely plant wild grape vines, but that is just me. I dislike the way they choke off good trees. Pretty hard to control if they do become invasive.
That was my thought just from observing it at home but I wanted others opinions, Thanks for yours.

Landlord - You came to IN for Andy's property tour (all things whitetail) this past spring? I was there as well - I wish I had known, hell for all I know we may have talked and didn't even know it. I had my youngest daughter with me so I was trying to keep her entertained. That's a pretty good haul for a property visit. I look forward to seeing your progress. As for your grape question.....it can be a nice browse for deer, but it has to be managed. When it gets big and up into your trees it can do damage, but it will provide food for birds and the like as well. Down at ground level it can give the deer some cover and browse.

Landlord - You came to IN for Andy's property tour (all things whitetail) this past spring? I was there as well - I wish I had known, hell for all I know we may have talked and didn't even know it. I had my youngest daughter with me so I was trying to keep her entertained. That's a pretty good haul for a property visit. I look forward to seeing your progress. As for your grape question.....it can be a nice browse for deer, but it has to be managed. When it gets big and up into your trees it can do damage, but it will provide food for birds and the like as well. Down at ground level it can give the deer some cover and browse.
Yes, came down Friday. The free time with Jim Ward was VERY informative, and worth the trip by itself. Not often you get FREE time with a $2000/day consultant. My property is nothing like Andy's, but the theories should hold up. Learning as much as I can before I rush in (which I tend to do) and make a bunch of mistakes.
I'm going back up today for the rest of the week. I'll take lots of pics and give an update after I get back.

Last edited:
Welcome Landlord

After looking at my planned food plot on the edge of a swamp opening I came to the realization that this is too big of a job for me to do by myself with the tools I have. So I had a guy from Craigslist come and take a look at it. I need an idea what it should cost for me to get about 1 acre of sedge meadow brush hogged and then disked to expose the soil. Not a good pic, most of it is left of the atv. Water is in rutted trail across swamp so most of it is not as wet. It will have to dry up a little for him to do it. He wanted me to give a price. Any ideas??? He will do whatever I suggest but funds are limited, so I will lime and spray.003.JPG

Can anybody confirm that this is hackberry? That is the best I can come up with trying to identify it. I have a ton of these growing. They do seem to hinge good to get horizontal cover.008.JPG

I watched 10 deer leave my land at 9:30 yesterday morning. Crossed the dirt road on to my neighbors. I think I need to work on improving my bedding to get them to stay.

Before you put money and time into making that area a foodplot, are you sure it has the capability of growing common food plot plants? It sure looks wet and "boggy".

Before you put money and time into making that area a foodplot, are you sure it has the capability of growing common food plot plants? It sure looks wet and "boggy".
It is wet now, it is not bog. It usually dries after spring on the end I an thinking of planting. The pic is facing west and it gets wetter as you go west, but the east side dries up nicely most years. I know it needs lots of lime.

It is wet now, it is not bog. It usually dries after spring on the end I an thinking of planting. The pic is facing west and it gets wetter as you go west, but the east side dries up nicely most years. I know it needs lots of lime.
I'd offer the guy $200 and see what he says. That being for brush hogging plus disking/chopping that acre. If he does a good job you should be able to spary and plant a couple weeks afterwards.

I watched 10 deer leave my land at 9:30 yesterday morning. Crossed the dirt road on to my neighbors. I think I need to work on improving my bedding to get them to stay.
Or they could've been just roaming around to feed. I've found that this time of year the deer are on their feet a lot during the daylight hours instead of laying in beds.

Or they could've been just roaming around to feed. I've found that this time of year the deer are on their feet a lot during the daylight hours instead of laying in beds.
I hope so, they have been using this crossing for years. They do bed in the tags, so I am looking to improve the area and add more bedding spots along the edge where it comes up out of the water. This crossing is used all year. I was hoping I could improve my side so they don't move out during hunting season as much, the neighbor has a stand right on the trail on his side and I found a small dead buck this spring that must have been shot from there and crossed to my side to die from the hole in it. I can't believe they didn't find it unless they never looked.

If you were a little closer, I would help you out, but I don't have a trailer big enough to transport both the brush hog and tiller...

I'm a little sketchy when I transport just the brush hog....This picture is from before I bought my truck, so I would feel better putting more weight forward now to get more of the brush hog on the trailer.

Last edited: