Ladino Clover, Jumbo and Jumbo II, Whats the difference?

I found this old document on Ladino seed production fields. No info on regular Ladino vs Jumbo, but pages 5 and 6 have some interesting descriptions of older improved cultivars. It might take a minute to get it to scroll through the pages and load, just be aware.

http://ucanr.edu/sites/UCCE_LR/files/180529.pdf

I will take a stab at this from what I remember off the top of my head, as I cannot seem to locate the document where I first saw this information, forgive me, as it has been a few years since I last looked at it.

White clovers come in 3 "sizes". This is primarily a description of overall plant height and leaf size.

Small - clovers such as Dutch white clover falls in this category along with other lower growing white clovers.

Intermediate - Durana clover is an improved selection that falls in the intermediate category. For those that think Durana was completely "bred", it was not, it is simply a very drought tolerant native ecotype that was collected from natural pasture settings in GA that had survived many years of heavy grazing and drought. Only then was it put in a "greenhouse setting" and the parent plants were crossed with some virus resistant large(ladino) types and the result was Patriot white clover.

Patriot falls somewhere in between Intermediate and Large(Ladino), as it is a cross breed. Crusade falls into the Intermediate category as well, and it is also a cross breed(between Haifa white clover and some disease resistant ecotypes). Some of the "New Zealand" white clovers fall in here as well.

Large(Ladino) - Naturalized, large leaved, tall stemmed white clovers. "Ladino" is pretty much a generic name for this growth type, see VNS Ladino. Jumbo Ladino is a selection of native Ladino types that was chosen for it's larger leaf size and taller growth habit than even the native Ladino types, but don't get too excited, we are talking maybe 10%-15% larger leaves. It also has some resistance to common clover diseases. Jumbo II Ladino is a selection of Jumbo Ladino plants that was chosen for it's higher stolon density and ability to spread more readily than regular Jumbo Ladino, again, don't get too excited as the stolon density is really only 10% to 20% higher than standard Jumbo Ladino.

Alice white clover falls into this category(Large) and may be the "height king" of them all. Leaf size is as large as the other types and the stems are typically taller than any of the ones labeled as "Ladino".

I believe Kopu(and Kopu II) falls somewhere in here as well.

Kura clover is it's own animal and even though it's flowers are mostly white, it is not a true "white" clover. I can last just about forever as it is very hardy and persistent. Total PIA to get established though.

There are a lot of "trade names" like the "Orion XL" above. They may be just that, a company "trade name" marketing ploy, or they may have been selected from trials for a specific trait. One would have to research each type in depth to distinguish that fact. True agricultural field trials, however boring to read, will give you the true worth of these "named" varieties. If they are really better than their predecessors, it will show up in ultimate yields over multiple year studies. What does any of that yield information mean to the average foodplotter, not much...............but it might save a guy some money when looking at more expensive options of clover depending on what your ultimate use will be.

If I ever hunt down the document where I found the info on the "differences" in the Ladino types, I will post it in this thread for future reference.

You really want to be confusedo_O:confused:............lets talk alfalfa!!!:eek:

You don't find that shit in quality whitetails magazine! Tks Whip! Much appreciated!

Lots of things you won't find in QW.....too many folks trying to make money!!!!

If Jumbo is actually a legit Clover, the info has to be out there somewhere! If it is just a name Like Orion XL, then guys are getting screwed buying anything named Jumbo! But that would not surprise me in this business!
I didn't realize that jumbo was the brand name, so the last couple years I've been planting a 2-way mix instead of a 3-way mix.

Our deer are sophisticated ......... They will only eat Orion XL Turbo 2.5 vbr. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I sent an email to the UW-Madison Ag Dept to a very highly respected forage crop researcher(yeah, I "know a guy";)) and below are his replies and a link he sent. Nothing real specific, but it does show that Jumbo and JumboII are indeed actual Ladino clover varieties, not just "bag names". Unfortunately, you will not get any other info on how or what makes them different from this list. I thought his comments on "VNS" items was interesting. See below...............

"Hi Dale,

White clover is roughly broken down into three categories based on leaf size: small, intermediate, and large (or Ladino types). So large and Ladino type are synonymous. Variety not stated (VNS) Ladino clover could be anything—it could be Ladino type or even a small type, it depends on the integrity of the grower and marketer. Since its VNS, there is no control of what kind of white clover is in the bag. Often VNS is from an older field of certified seed that has had some contamination and can’t be marketed as the original variety sown.

I have looked for ‘Jumbo’ and ‘Jumbo II’ Plant Variety Protection (PVP) status and registration status, but have found nothing yet. If it has PVP then it is an official variety. I will try to clarify this today.

Ken"

"Dale,

This USDA Marketing site should have all registered white clover varieties. A company can sell seed that is not a registered variety, but I guess would not need to maintain a consistent product (genetics could probably be different from year to year or bag to bag). Or maybe they have a consistent product but just decided not to register it for some reason.

https://apps.ams.usda.gov/VarietyWebSearch/searchform.aspx

Just type in white clover and a variety name. Or type in white clover and mark a “check” in “pass in blank variety” to see the whole list of almost 200 varieties.

Ken"

Basically, if it makes it into this list(and they both did), it is an actual registered variety of seed.

That said, now I am curious on how exactly they differ, but that is a whole different inquiry.

And BTW, the list can be used to check on other crops as well.

Which of the above named types is the most drought, heat tolerant ?

bill

Bill,

Durana is a bit slow to establish but I find it more drought tolerant than most clovers once established. It is also very persistent. It is a good deer clover for the south.

Thanks,

jack

Bill,

Durana is a bit slow to establish but I find it more drought tolerant than most clovers once established. It is also very persistent. It is a good deer clover for the south.

Thanks,

jack
See post #22.........'nuff said.

I sent an email to the UW-Madison Ag Dept to a very highly respected forage crop researcher(yeah, I "know a guy";)) and below are his replies and a link he sent. Nothing real specific, but it does show that Jumbo and JumboII are indeed actual Ladino clover varieties, not just "bag names". Unfortunately, you will not get any other info on how or what makes them different from this list. I thought his comments on "VNS" items was interesting. See below...............

"Hi Dale,

White clover is roughly broken down into three categories based on leaf size: small, intermediate, and large (or Ladino types). So large and Ladino type are synonymous. Variety not stated (VNS) Ladino clover could be anything—it could be Ladino type or even a small type, it depends on the integrity of the grower and marketer. Since its VNS, there is no control of what kind of white clover is in the bag. Often VNS is from an older field of certified seed that has had some contamination and can’t be marketed as the original variety sown.

I have looked for ‘Jumbo’ and ‘Jumbo II’ Plant Variety Protection (PVP) status and registration status, but have found nothing yet. If it has PVP then it is an official variety. I will try to clarify this today.

Ken"

"Dale,

This USDA Marketing site should have all registered white clover varieties. A company can sell seed that is not a registered variety, but I guess would not need to maintain a consistent product (genetics could probably be different from year to year or bag to bag). Or maybe they have a consistent product but just decided not to register it for some reason.

https://apps.ams.usda.gov/VarietyWebSearch/searchform.aspx

Just type in white clover and a variety name. Or type in white clover and mark a “check” in “pass in blank variety” to see the whole list of almost 200 varieties.

Ken"

Basically, if it makes it into this list(and they both did), it is an actual registered variety of seed.

That said, now I am curious on how exactly they differ, but that is a whole different inquiry.

And BTW, the list can be used to check on other crops as well.

I love the list, but I want so bad to find out where it came from and what is the difference! It has to be out there, or it is still a scam in my mind!