end all, be all, clover discussion... Keying on Longevity of the stand.

Thanks for the info! None of the clover I've planted in Durana and right now the only herbicide I use is gly maybe once a year. Though I do have some weed issues I need to get better at dealing with, so should probably broaden my horizons on that. I'm hoping once I get my tow behind bush hog running that mowing will help with the broadleaf weeds, of which I have a bigger problem with. My biggest plot is needing/getting an overhaul this fall. I was thinking of doing a throw N mow/roll/spray with turnips, but may just go with the clover/chicory instead with a good dose of WR. The other plots will get their cheap clover/WR broadcasting on Labor Day weekend. Cheap enough and seems to keep working.

Question for the clover folks

Have a stand I started last fall, first time trying it for a food source, roughly a 1/4 acre. Did a throw an roll with WR. Seeded with 4# clover an 20# rye. Was not impressed with the results, but attribute this to a dry hot fall as well as planting into a root bound soil structure.

This spring I came back in an frost seeded another 4# of clover into the plot with the intentions of giving it till summer to make a decision on what to do with it going forward. Has been a crap spring if u could even call it spring. Straight from an April blizzard to 90 degrees three weeks later.

Fast forward to today, the WR is heading out.
An I am just starting to see a little bit of clover come up. About the size of a quarter dime, density is ok not great. An have had a total of 1/2 in of rain in the past month. With the hottest may on record.

So, the plan was to work it up an start over this fall.
Or
Spread another 4# this fall with another 20# WR an see what comes up next spring.

Does it really take this long to establish an grow, or was it a complete failure.

Thoughts?

Also, for a side note.
This first day of vacation is feeling great.
First day I haven't planted something in a month.

Attachments

• 20180608_182612.jpg
    20180608_182612.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Got down to the property today and was greeted by about a 7 in tall stand of corn in the plot that I planted just two weeks ago. I also had time to take a few pictures of my one Clover plot that is doing amazing. Hard to find flowers the deer are browsing very hard on it. Below are the photos if anyone has an idea on which Clover it maybe feel free to chime in thank you
f49319f338c01e61e8b12b9f25536a57.jpg
3082925230eec109ba996ba90f40c70e.jpg
fc03bd9fccfc9d61f801aa381352f41f.jpg
dbcc9e9d2f04381efbababc89f013a9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Looks like some type of medium red clover, if that's what you were asking. Did you plant it from a mix?

Question for the clover folks

Have a stand I started last fall, first time trying it for a food source, roughly a 1/4 acre. Did a throw an roll with WR. Seeded with 4# clover an 20# rye. Was not impressed with the results, but attribute this to a dry hot fall as well as planting into a root bound soil structure.

This spring I came back in an frost seeded another 4# of clover into the plot with the intentions of giving it till summer to make a decision on what to do with it going forward. Has been a crap spring if u could even call it spring. Straight from an April blizzard to 90 degrees three weeks later.

Fast forward to today, the WR is heading out.
An I am just starting to see a little bit of clover come up. About the size of a quarter dime, density is ok not great. An have had a total of 1/2 in of rain in the past month. With the hottest may on record.

So, the plan was to work it up an start over this fall.
Or
Spread another 4# this fall with another 20# WR an see what comes up next spring.

Does it really take this long to establish an grow, or was it a complete failure.

Thoughts?

Also, for a side note.
This first day of vacation is feeling great.
First day I haven't planted something in a month.

I'd wait and see. If you get a break in the weather and some rain it might grow.
You'll know by early Sept. Maybe sooner up there when things cool back down a bit. I had a stand coming on like you describe when I left mid May. It's been awfully hot and dry. Keeping my fingers crossed for a stinking thunderstorm or two real son.

I'm with wiscwhip. That purple flower is a red clover.

well that is good news, . figure it should last 3 - 5 years?

if you look at the one pic, you can see all the browsed stems from the deer hitting it hard.

A good quality, improved medium red variety can last 3 to 5 years under favorable conditions, a common or VNS med red might not last that long. That is one reason I asked if it came from a big buck bag mix, sometimes they will use improved varieties in some mixes and you will know which one they used so you can just buy it in bulk next time if it is successful for you.

good, point, I bought pure seed from a smaller farm supply, not sure they would even know what they carried last year when I bought it.

Something to keep track of moving forward. See how long it lasts, and next time you seed red clover, check with your local ag extension office and see what works best for the dairy farmers in NJ, then try to source that variety and see how it does for you. Any one of the following sources should have some information on their websites to help point you to what will work best for your area.

New Jersey Department of Agriculture
New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
Rutgers Cooperative Extension

thanks, Ive been in contact with the Rutgers folk, kinda not impressed with their input, might try the others next.

thanks, Ive been in contact with the Rutgers folk, kinda not impressed with their input, might try the others next.
Well if the Scarlet Knights are no help, Bucky knows as much (or maybe more)than just about anybody else you can think of when it comes to growing food for critters to eat...
https://fyi.uwex.edu/forage/

Heck, I oculd stop by one of the experimental stations, I know where one is about 7 miles from th land I manage. wonder how often there are people on site with knowledge?

I would look into that for sure!

oh my, apparently my asking for a clover plot with longevity didn't spell it out for them enough, I left out the word perennial when I asked for clover recommendations. So I got back an email tonight suggesting I use crimson clover. a self seeding annual if you are lucky. So I explained myself further, we will see what that generates.
in the meantime, my parts came in and repaired tractor/ replaced fuel pre filter bowl as I bullseyed it Sunday with a branch.
ran the tractor for 45 minutes doing some plowing, all good and will be back at it tomorrow.I sat this am looking at my pot map and planned out what I want to plant and where, only have two spots left a total of about 2 acres. they just may be two additional test plots for any new and exciting clovers they come up with, maybe Kura being one as I like the idea of a clover that can go at least 15 years.

thanks, just read it, seems like a bit of work, but also sounds like picking the right nurse crop is key after killing what is there first. I have one area plowed that I may try Kura in, I will let it sit a week, then disc, sit a few weeks, spray with gly once a month after that till mid august. then seed the Kura with a nurse crop of annuals.thinking a light dose of crimson clover and Purple top turnips. the turnips will yield their cover in the spring, the crimson wont over crowd the Kura. Neither will be so tall that I have to mow. any grasses that find their way in will be hit with cleth when time comes, probably after next spring flush/ early summer. testing will be done with 1 0z gly rate on the Kura next fall, and if safe, plot weeds will be hit with that to release the plot to a pure stand of Kura. Maybe one of these years Il'' repair my pto and be able to use the mower in the mix as well.

Great plan, keep us in the loop.

picked up 15 lbs of an improved medium red variety, will have to look at the receipt to see what seedway seed number it was.......

FSG 402
Red
Clover
Farm Science Genetics®. High yield potential, unmatched forage quality, excellent disease resistance,
superior persistence. Highly resistant to Northern and Southern anthracnose and powdery mildew.
Performs across wide geography and variable conditions.
Seed at 10-12 lbs. alone, 4-8 lbs. in mixes.

Last edited: