Ladino Clover / Cereal Rye??

To be honest, I had a full clover crop for a couple years, I never seen deer in it. I assume they were, but I never got pictures, or seen any. Then I just used clover as a green fertilizer, and planted other things in it. I have White Dutch clover planted in most of my yard, and the deer are in my yard during the summer eating, so I know they do eat clover, I just dont see it in the plots when clover was planted alone.

Does your ground stay snow covered all winter?

Do the deer dig down for the brassicas?

All of that is just crazy for me! It rarely ever snows here. Summer is probably our hardest time on the deer.
Yep. I have seen the deer dig through 2 feet of snow to get at turnip bulbs and brassica leaves. A good plot looks like a mine field some winters. Holes dug all over the place. We had well over 2 feet here all last winter.....the browse gets sparse on the trees at lower levels.....and many guys will drop some trees for the deer. Many starved here last winter.....a tough one. Northern MN is like a winter desert at times.....not much available for the deer. The deer find places to yard up in this area. In spring....you can see the ribs sticking out from lack of nutrition. The deer can look pretty rough. THAT is where that rye comes in......some serious food at a high stress time. The clover comes on behind....when the rye gets a bit stemmy. Provides well for my deer all summer.

Other critters too.....grin. This morning......Damn Bears took out a camera after this pic.

Attachments

• 3 O four.jpeg
    3 O four.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 17
Yep. I have seen the deer dig through 2 feet of snow to get at turnip bulbs and brassica leaves. A good plot looks like a mine field some winters. Holes dug all over the place. We had well over 2 feet here all last winter.....the browse gets sparse on the trees at lower levels.....and many guys will drop some trees for the deer. Many starved here last winter.....a tough one. Northern MN is like a winter desert at times.....not much available for the deer. The deer find places to yard up in this area. In spring....you can see the ribs sticking out from lack of nutrition. The deer can look pretty rough. THAT is where that rye comes in......some serious food at a high stress time. The clover comes on behind....when the rye gets a bit stemmy. Provides well for my deer all summer.

Other critters too.....grin. This morning......Damn Bears took out a camera after this pic.
Have you read much about mineral stumps? Instead of hack and squirt junk trees just cut them off low to ground and let sprouts pop up. Gives deer browse low to ground. I’m sure you know all that though.

That’s wild stuff. However, yalls deer are so big compared to ours, so you have that.

Just saw my first fawn yesterday. Our rut was first week of february last year.

Have you read much about mineral stumps? Instead of hack and squirt junk trees just cut them off low to ground and let sprouts pop up. Gives deer browse low to ground. I’m sure you know all that though.

That’s wild stuff. However, yalls deer are so big compared to ours, so you have that.

Just saw my first fawn yesterday. Our rut was first week of february last year.
Had my land "logged" about five years ago now. Lots of great re-gen from doing so. I got allot of burr oak that was released by logging off red pines also, birch, and aspen, and more young pines. Also took out mature aspen.....and the shoots from those stumps provide lots of nutrition....as does the willows, hazel brush and so on. Mature pine does little for deer. Logging was the best thing I ever did for my land.

Had my land "logged" about five years ago now. Lots of great re-gen from doing so. I got allot of burr oak that was released by logging off red pines also, birch, and aspen, and more young pines. Also took out mature aspen.....and the shoots from those stumps provide lots of nutrition....as does the willows, hazel brush and so on. Mature pine does little for deer. Logging was the best thing I ever did for my land.
Mine was logged 2019-21. There are deer everywhere.

Regen and early successional stuff certainly helps a lot. It takes a lot of it because that browse can get cleaned out pretty quick if there is over a foot of snow on the ground for 3+ months straight.

Corn can help a lot of you've got the acreage (i dont) so it seems a stout plot of tubers/bulbs is the best thing going once the grains get buried in snow. It can be hard to get the brassicas through november without being wiped out.

Does your ground stay snow covered all winter?

Do the deer dig down for the brassicas?

All of that is just crazy for me! It rarely ever snows here. Summer is probably our hardest time on the deer.

This is mid Feb, deer digging them up. Ezposed groung will allow some WR to green up.

1660327876695.jpeg

Last edited:
I think seeding rye into clover can be beneficial in absorbing excess nitrogen and providing additional forage. I would overseed half the clover plot and see what happens. I never spray for broadleafs as I want the clover plot to function as turkey brood cover. I frost seed every other year or yearly in thin spots. Mow around July 4th and again labor day, If I sprayed for broadleafs I would never mow as there is no reason to. I do spray with clethodim in early may. I thought for a minute we might be neighbors as my farm is near West Point, Illinois.

Last edited:
I would recommend to the original poster, and anyone else who wants to know if over seeding rye helps or hurts your clover, to do both. Overseed half and leave half alone. The best way to learn these things is too see for yourself.