Lack Of Acorns

Steve Oehlenschlager

5 year old buck +
It is that time of year now that I start mowing the trails. I noticed that there were virtually no acorns on my Burr Oak (white oak type). Last 2 years have been descent so it was about time for a dud year.

It is that time of year now that I start mowing the trails. I noticed that there were virtually no acorns on my Burr Oak (white oak type). Last 2 years have been descent so it was about time for a dud year.
Maybe a good year for turnips
Our deer will over look the turnips if there are acorns but on a bad yr of acorns they hit the turnips early and hard until they are gone

I have not really looked hard yet, but I have noticed that the water oaks are loaded here.

mast production is always a big IF - planting plots and diversifying your mast resources helps off-set this to some extent. I have started looking and it appears that I will have a weak acorn crop this year as well - I had a decent one last year.

The burr oaks in SE MN are loaded this year. Last year the big acorn crop allowed my soybeans to catch a break from the deer browsing pressure and I'm hoping this year will be the same.