Labradar Chronograph

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
As I'm preparing for retirement, I'm hoping to do some more range work, especially with my new smokeless muzzleloader: https://habitat-talk.com/threads/journey-to-stop-smoking.13254/. With the little bit of range work that I've done with this gun so far, I've been getting some somewhat inconsistent results from my shoot-thru chronograph. Is it inconsistency in the load, or in the way I load, or fouling, or chronograph setup (not level, muzzle blast issues, lighting issues...)?

I decided to eliminate issues related to the chronograph by buying one of the Labradar chronograph that uses microwave radar to track the projectile. While I understand that aiming is critical, it does not have many of the issues the shoot-thru style chronographs do.

I've been looking for one for over a year but they, like large rifle primers, seem to be out of stock everywhere. Finally I found one. It is the "Lite" version without bluetooth for phone app control, but I don't need that.

I think I understand the basics of using it, but if any of you have hands-on experience with one, I'd like to hear any tips. I did order a cheap sight mount for it as I understand sighting is important. I also already have a brick I can use to power it, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jack

I bought one the week they were released to market. I also have an optical chrono and magnetospeed that have been basically unused since i got it. They are by far the most convenient way for me to check velocities. They allow you to clock every bullet during load development without having to align a optical chrony perfect or have a POI/harmonics change with a magnetospeed. I've shot with it and the magnetospeed both on and gotten consistent readings that gives me confidence in it's accuracy.

It's very easy to use. Aiming it is not difficult in the slightest and an aiming device isn't needed at all for muzzle velocity. It might be a little more finicky if you want it to track the bullet to 100 yards or whatever but I haven't ever paid attention to anything but muzzle velocity. I place it in different spots depending on if i'm shooting with a bare muzzle, suppressed, or with a muzzle brake.
-roughly beside the muzzle with a bare muzzle but it's forgiving of placement with bare muzzles
-behind the muzzle a ways and tight to the rifle if shooting with an aggressive muzzle brake so it doesn't get blasted by diverted gasses
-beside to slightly forward of the end of the suppressor when shooting suppressed to make sure it triggers

They make dedicated bases for them but I use a little cheap tripod. Just not great if the wind is really howling because it’s very light and prone to blow over.

F5F1220F-D9F0-4A68-BB09-3DF173B6AF09.jpegC3915637-045B-448B-A685-939B8B64F6B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Also in relation to the smokeless ML topic, saw this when flipping through pics - chrono readings from my smokeless encore .45 shooting 275 gr XLD and the corresponding 100yd group.

FBCD8549-8FCC-4941-8B40-6FBB70368E5A.jpeg6802AE71-54D0-46A2-AC6A-9324CBD48972.jpeg

Great info, Thanks! ES of 9 is outstanding for an SML.

I have a Labradar, which replaced my shoot-thru Shooting Chrony. I really like it. Aiming is not hard at all. Getting it to trigger can be, it is somewhat sensitive to where it is placed in relation to the muzzle. But it hasn't been a major PIA. Getting shoot-thru lined up properly is WAY harder than aiming a Labradar.

The only complaint I have is battery life. You're supposed to be able to plug into an external supply. I've tried that a couple times and it didn't work, so I just turn off the radar in between shots while I'm letting the gun cool.

I have a Labradar, which replaced my shoot-thru Shooting Chrony. I really like it. Aiming is not hard at all. Getting it to trigger can be, it is somewhat sensitive to where it is placed in relation to the muzzle. But it hasn't been a major PIA. Getting shoot-thru lined up properly is WAY harder than aiming a Labradar.

The only complaint I have is battery life. You're supposed to be able to plug into an external supply. I've tried that a couple times and it didn't work, so I just turn off the radar in between shots while I'm letting the gun cool.

Mine came in yesterday. I'm working on the range so I won't be able to shoot it until I'm done with that: https://habitat-talk.com/threads/rifle-range-upgrade.12599/. I have a brick. I plugged that in and did the initial setup yesterday. It seems pretty intuitive. I'm looking forward to using it. I won't mess with internal batteries. That brick should run it all day.

Thanks,

Jack

My cheap external battery pack will run my lab radar for quite a few range trips before needing a charge. Didn’t even know you could use internal batteries.

When I had some spare time, I built a case for my labradar.

3aa5ad53-7857-452e-84fd-bac4ed48b819.jpg

The item to the left of it is a charging brick. I put a bulkhead USB connector through the top of the case so I could keep the brick charged when not in use by plugging a charger in to the connector on the outside of the case.

3d73e331-fe5e-4ea5-b1fc-bdfc3321bbe1.jpg

I had an old slik head so I simply attached it to a 2x6 and clamped it to the shooting bench.

cdd7278a-2e6e-4c56-a35b-353e1ed919be.jpg

Here is my setup. I had no issues at all aiming or using the unit. The results of my first use are on this thread: Stop Smoking

I am so out of touch......I never heard of a Labrador until this post. Used to know most everything new. Now....not so much. Thanks.

I have to say, I'm really happy with it. I find the setup and use much easier and more consistent that I was able to get with an optical chronograph that I first tried in the "Journey to Stop Smoking" thread. I especially like the measurement of velocity at different distances. You can see in that thread how I had the measurement distance set to 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 yards. It also calculates KE but that is just a formula based on the projectile weight.

It was expensive and hard to find, but I'll never mess with that old chronograph again.

Thanks,

Jack

I have to say, I'm really happy with it. I find the setup and use much easier and more consistent that I was able to get with an optical chronograph that I first tried in the "Journey to Stop Smoking" thread. I especially like the measurement of velocity at different distances. You can see in that thread how I had the measurement distance set to 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 yards. It also calculates KE but that is just a formula based on the projectile weight.

It was expensive and hard to find, but I'll never mess with that old chronograph again.

Thanks,

Jack
Just read a review in the American Rifleman. Pretty impressive kit.....tho it's a bit pricey.

Just read a review in the American Rifleman. Pretty impressive kit.....tho it's a bit pricey.

I was planning on refining my load and then ordering a CDS dial for my Leupold scope on the smokeless but the extreme spread from the optical chronograph was so wide I was afraid to order it. With this labradar the ES dropped down to 20 fps which gives me confidence to order the CDS dial.

I don't know what the American Rifleman review looks like. So far, I'm very happy with the unit. I've heard tell that there can be issues if you have radar reflective surfaces near the target or if you are on a public range with multiple shooters (false triggers). Some folks talk about aiming issues. I had none of these problems on our private range. You are certainly right about it being pricy and that has gotten worse during COVID supply chain issues.

Thanks,

Jack