Kansas lawmakers threaten wildlife department funding

Have a buddy in ground zero of cwd in Wisconsin. Zero impact. His hunting is better than mine and they got rid of baiting. Wins all around
Does he eat them? We're sorta a ground zero as well. My 10 acre adjacent neighbor told me all three young bucks he shot last yr tested positive. Not sure what to make of it. He line sits heavily and I post obnoxiously. Otherwise we basically don't talk and just ignore either other. He texted me the news about his bucks after the season ended. We'll also be hunting a 7.5 yr old buck this fall, at the same location. So cwd hasn't taken him down yet. Our herd is growing again. I wish neighbors would take a few more does. They don't, so the snipers do.

Does he eat them? We're sorta a ground zero as well. My 10 acre adjacent neighbor told me all three young bucks he shot last yr tested positive. Not sure what to make of it. He line sits heavily and I post obnoxiously. Otherwise we basically don't talk and just ignore either other. He texted me the news about his bucks after the season ended. We'll also be hunting a 7.5 yr old buck this fall, at the same location. So cwd hasn't taken him down yet. Our herd is growing again. I wish neighbors would take a few more does. They don't, so the snipers do.
Yes but obviously after they test negative. Same with elk, mulies and moose he’s shot where he lives in “ground zero” in Colorado as well.

I think a lot of things make a difference on how cwd regs affect your area - and I am not talking about the disease itself. If you increase the allowable bag limit and do away with any apr’s and it is all private - probably not going to make a lot of difference. Most of us who own private dont shoot the first barely legal buck we see, anyway. If you enact those same regulations on public land where most folks are hunting for the first legal deer they see - big difference. Our ground zero cwd zone is largely public land.

My deer density is such that I would consider thinning a few out if cwd hit.

Our state did NOT ban baiting during season - their thinking it would help to get more deer killed

This thread has turned many corners! I've read and heard about the states that use sharp shooters to eliminate herds to reduce transmission. Makes no sense genetically to kill out all the deer to save them.

In every population there will be individuals that are genetically resistant, individuals that are genetically susceptible, and everything in-between.

Classic disease progression is that the least resistant individuals die first and then the resistant individuals survive to make babies. Some of these babies will carry the same genetics as the parents that survived the disease and boom... you have a population that is resistant to death via the disease. Every deer shot by sharp-shooters may have been one with genetic resistance. Why remove them all and risk killing the golden goose in the process? In a scenario such as this where infected animals run around for long periods of time and can cover great distances before becoming sick I don't see the benefits.

Wisconsin took the approach when CWD hit to thin the herd and issued free doe tags. You could get 4 free doe tags every day if you wanted to. On top of that, they had EAB for the state to encourage the slaughter of does. The population plummeted to the point that neighbors stopped shooting does. The DNR tried to sharp shoot deer but couldn't due to no permission. The hunters won the battle and our deer population at least in the CWD area has returned back to normal.
Now our land is in the heart of CWD country. We have shot 5 bucks that are 4.5 and older that have tested positive for CWD and also found 1 buck that we had pictures of that was sick and he tested positive. I will say that every year we have 4.5+ yr old bucks to hunt.

I would agree shooting countless deer as a way to save the population is ridiculous ...... not unless you can kill all "infected" deer to glow green and then only single them out. However, since the prions that cause CWD can live for several months if not longer in the soil healthy deer will become infected at some point even if you could remove all infected deer.

On another note. Aren’t you glad there isn’t a fish, Game, and Human department run by ???

They would have culled a lot of us over the china virus. 🤔
There’s a vax joke to be used as a response, but I will resist. I’m not clever enough to think of a good one anyway.

Sounds very similar to the big master baiters in ND and the stuff they pull. I like no baiting but don’t have strong feelings towards it in states that have always had it especially since I’m not a resident in them. I even hunted over a buddy’s feeder in ND last year. But the measures and actions these bait addicts take to keep their bait piles really makes it hard to not want to stand against them. Screw those guys.

One of the public land properties I hunt here in Texas has had a no baiting policy for 30+ years, and I find corn every other time I’m out there. I’ve got no problem with hunting over corn… heck I even put a feeder on a piece of family land. But, I would NEVER throw a temper tantrum and threaten people over the matter. I am constantly amazed how we elect the worst of us to lead this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On another note. Aren’t you glad there isn’t a fish, Game, and Human department run by ???

They would have culled a lot of us over the china virus. 🤔
I'd been culled long before covid!

Recent studies indicate that ticks can carry enough prions to infect other deer.

Recent studies indicate that ticks can carry enough prions to infect other deer.
They discussed that with a wildlife disease ecologist on a recent meat eater podcast. It didn't necessarily sound like they think it can spread that way.

So what I’m hearing is the only beneficiaries of the government policies concerning CWD are the insurance companies interesting very interesting.

Generally one only has to follow the money concerning politicians and government bureaucrats to figure out what’s really going on.

Wisconsin took the approach when CWD hit to thin the herd and issued free doe tags. You could get 4 free doe tags every day if you wanted to. On top of that, they had EAB for the state to encourage the slaughter of does. The population plummeted to the point that neighbors stopped shooting does. The DNR tried to sharp shoot deer but couldn't due to no permission. The hunters won the battle and our deer population at least in the CWD area has returned back to normal.
Now our land is in the heart of CWD country. We have shot 5 bucks that are 4.5 and older that have tested positive for CWD and also found 1 buck that we had pictures of that was sick and he tested positive. I will say that every year we have 4.5+ yr old bucks to hunt.
What percentage of 4.5 yr old bucks you kill are infected with cwd?

What percentage of 4.5 yr old bucks you kill are infected with cwd?
We've killed 7 bucks 4.5+ yrs old and 4 bucks have come back positive.

This turned into a CWD thread real quick. I sure don’t have the answers but I cringe every time someone acts like it’s not a problem just because there’s a lot of deer where prevalence is high. If we get to a place where hunters are just killing deer and dumping most of them into CWD dumpsters we’re in real trouble!

On one hand, I’m frustrated with cwd regulations in northern MN where my family’s land is because it’s hurting a deer population that was already in trouble. I hate hearing it used in other parts of the state as a reason we can’t manage for a balanced age class.. On the other hand, I’d rather see the herd piss pounded and not have mature bucks than have 50% prevalence of CWD!

I feel for mule deer more where they are struggling in general across their range. Whitetails on the other hand can rebound easily in many places so shooting the hell out of them only impacts population temporarily.

Killing the herd to save the herd was dreamt up in an insurance board room not any science guys this is ridiculous.

These two guys are trying damn hard to make good on their threats to the Wildlife department. And trying damn hard to hurt the mature buck population in KS.

These two guys are trying damn hard to make good on their threats to the Wildlife department. And trying damn hard to hurt the mature buck population in KS.

I was thinking that maybe we had discussed this previously on here, but it could have been somewhere else. I watched one of their propaganda videos that they released last Fall. The issue aside which in my mind simply comes down to those who produce and sell wildlife "feed" to those who capitalize on it to increase the harvest on their pay to hunt operations. There is no benefit to supplemental feeding of deer or wildlife in my opinion outside of a emergency situation. But that is simply my opinion. The latest thing I have seen is that they are claiming that commissioners on the game and fish commission are hand selected non hunters that have been put on the board. I need to research more on how they are appointed. I will say that I feel any commissioner who is appointed MUST show proof that they have held a hunting, fishing, trapping or state park permit for a minimum of 10 consecutive years prior to being nominated. There have been states where random anti-hunting, environmental wackos have been appointed and caused major issues. I also FIRMLY believe that commissioners should ONLY have the capacity to vote on and approve regulations that qualified agency personnel have put before them. We hire and hopefully have vetted our biologists to do what is best in terms of the wildlife and the consumer groups that fund the departments.

I was thinking that maybe we had discussed this previously on here, but it could have been somewhere else. I watched one of their propaganda videos that they released last Fall. The issue aside which in my mind simply comes down to those who produce and sell wildlife "feed" to those who capitalize on it to increase the harvest on their pay to hunt operations. There is no benefit to supplemental feeding of deer or wildlife in my opinion outside of a emergency situation. But that is simply my opinion. The latest thing I have seen is that they are claiming that commissioners on the game and fish commission are hand selected non hunters that have been put on the board. I need to research more on how they are appointed. I will say that I feel any commissioner who is appointed MUST show proof that they have held a hunting, fishing, trapping or state park permit for a minimum of 10 consecutive years prior to being nominated. There have been states where random anti-hunting, environmental wackos have been appointed and caused major issues. I also FIRMLY believe that commissioners should ONLY have the capacity to vote on and approve regulations that qualified agency personnel have put before them. We hire and hopefully have vetted our biologists to do what is best in terms of the wildlife and the consumer groups that fund the departments.

That’s what happened in MN. They didn’t allow one pro-deer group on the deer plan team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk