John Deere adjustable lift arms

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
My JD 5045E has solid lift arms .. my old Kobota had lift arms that would allow about 4” of travel in or out length wise movement of the “eye” sure made hooking up lots easier in one man hookups …
Anyone have or seen such a critter for the “E” series of John Deere

Bear

I think telescoping arms can be optional on some models.....and some have them as standard. I have them on my Kubota....but seldom use them. I Got the Pat's EZ change on my lift arms and that makes hook up pretty easy. If I were using the eyes of the three point....the adjustable arms would sure be nice. Do you not use a quick hitch or a Pat's EZ change set up?

You would be one of the last hold-outs. lol

So far I have not used a quick hitch as I am just now moving from old junker pull type hookups to 3 point stuff but …
My 3P606NT has all 3 boxes and the weight is much heavier than a non NT plus it sticks that weight a lot further out behind the point hook up point
I am maxed with my tractor’s balance as it is without giving more leverage further behind the 3 point

^ Yep...than don't add a quick hitch or the Pat's. They will only add to your issues. Back in the day (50's and 60's)....I used to hook up all kinds of three point stuff on the little N fords. Then I would put the tractor in nueteral and rock the tractor at the rear wheel to align the 3 point a bit. Or, we always kept a long steel bar too....in order to put a little persuasion on the implement end. Was allot more work hooking up in those days.....lol. Now I can do most things from the driver's seat with my PATS an a hydraulic top link
Maybe you can buy telescoping links for your tractor? Check this out.

.https://www.greentractortalk.com/threads/telescoping-lower-links-for-5045e.197357/

Last edited:
^ One thing I find to make hook-ups easy on some of these pieces is to set the implement on some kind of wheeled dolly or platform truck. Of course you gotta have a concrete floor. Then you can jockey the implement to help hook it up. I keep my drill on a platform truck I found at a rummage sale one day. I also made one from some heavy duty caster wheels. I also use some of those cheap furniture dolly's you can buy at Harbor Freight. They cost about $15 or so.....but those would be too light for your drill. Facebook marketplace is s good place to search.

I hook up one lift arm and then the top link. I can screw top link in or out to match the other lift arm. Isnt bad once I figured that out. PTO shaft on my 7 ft bush hog can be a pain

I've gotten pretty good with moving my tractor back and forth slightly by rolling the bucket one way or the other. I roll the bucket half way, leave tractor in neutral and if I'm off an inch or whatever, just roll the bucket in or out to move the tractor slightly. Thank me later!

The draft links come in two versions on the 5E series. The base is fixed, the option is adjustable. The adjustable links can be added, but require either welding or total arm replacement. I highly recommend Pat’s Easy Change that attached to the draft links. Here is the optional adjustable links for the 5E series.

IMG_0222.jpeg

Here is Pat’s Easy Change.
IMG_0225.png

I already owned a set of PAT'S EZ Change for my old JD 3520 tractor. When I bought the Kubota 3560 .....it came with telescoping links.....so I put the PAT'S on those links. I dont use the telescoping feature too often....but have used it a few times on some stubborn hook ups. The Pat's fit. I think the Pats set up with a hydraulic top link is the best I could own.

Surprised that no tractor company offers lower links with the QH type connection....such as Pat's or the other QH's. That would be the real deal. I suppose there are patents and $$ preventing this.

Surprised that no tractor company offers lower links with the QH type connection....such as Pat's or the other QH's. That would be the real deal. I suppose there are patents and $$ preventing this.
My quick attach gathers dust since I went with the Pat’s Easy Change. I love that the 5045E does not use turnbuckles for the sway adjustments.

Oh... John Deere offers the telescoping lift arms as an option when buying the tractor new ...as an OEM parts department purchase a pair of telescoping lift arms are a flat $1000.00
...That's $1K ..a full "Grand" ...and that does not even include the sliding pin type lift arm stabilizers to replace those obnoxious turn buckle straps/links !!!!!!

Bear

Oh... John Deere offers the telescoping lift arms as an option when buying the tractor new ...as an OEM parts department purchase a pair of telescoping lift arms are a flat $1000.00
...That's $1K ..a full "Grand" ...and that does not even include the sliding pin type lift arm stabilizers to replace those obnoxious turn buckle straps/links !!!!!!

Bear
Try Worthington Tractor Salvage or another salvage place. Sometimes they have parts from a tractor that burned or other bad juju. 1/2 price OR LESS for used parts. Those guys can locate the whole shebang......if your willing to pay a reasonable $$.

I'd hate to have turnbuckles for a stabilizer system. Argh.

Bear
I agree that the price is way out of line. Your post got me looking for other options, and frankly, there are not many out there. The nice part about Pat's Easy Change is that getting "close enough" is enough. I really can not think of an application where adjustable/telescoping arms would be helpful given the functionality Pat's Quick Change provides. Unlike the quick hitch, Pat's does not get in the way of PTO hook-ups, and is useful for tools such as Post Hole Diggers that can not be used with a quick hitch. The key to success is setting up the Pat's system per the instructions the first time, with everything aligned and measured right. Once done, the system works great.

The downside to Pat's Quick Change (and other quick hitch options) is that they extend the arm about 4". If you are lifting a load that is already at capacity at the rated 24", the additional 4" will make a difference.

The current 5045E/5050E models no longer use the turnbuckles.

My neighbor's 2020 5045E with Turnbuckle
Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 4.54.06 AM.png

The new 5045E/5050E with adjustable sway control
Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 4.53.09 AM.png

So the benefit of the Pat's model is that your quick hitch isn't in the way when making a PTO connection? Any other benefits?

So the benefit of the Pat's model is that your quick hitch isn't in the way when making a PTO connection? Any other benefits?
It works with most any three point implements......even the old ones that are not quick hitch comparable. Cheaper and better than a Quick Hitch IMO.......and immensely better if you add a hydraulic top link at some point.

This "Ask Tractor Mike" you tube channel has lots of tips on operating tractor stuff. He's a straight shooter.