johantorp pear

I grafted 1 scion from my small Johantorp onto a Keiffer. It took and is growing well.

My first Johantorp flowered pretty robustly this year. With luck I'll get a taste late in '22. I was going to suggest it in the MN pear thread since I know this pear comes from Sweden. Then I researched Sweden's growing zones and it looks like they range from 2a to 9. :/

No blooms on my 4th leaf Johantorp, whereas Kieffer planted the same time had a handful. Also noted it leafed out significantly later than the other pears I have around it. I’m wondering if I need to graft something else to it that wakes up and blooms later to ensure adequate pollination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another year has passed. Has anyone been able to taste a pear off this tree yet? I mentioned mine flowered heavily last year, but it didn't pollinate or make any fruit. Maybe frost got it? It's rooted in well now and growing fast. Yesterday I walked past it and snapped a pic while replacing some trail camera batteries. I'd guess it's 18' tall, and there's a similarly sized kieffer next to it. Hoping they can pollinate each other. I have a few Blue Hill pears in that section of the nursery also. Maybe they can pitch in someday.

Screenshot_20230119-133132_Gallery_resized.jpg

Another year gone. Still no pears for me. Any updates outta you guys? My original tree is in a frost pocket, but I still get apples down there.

Another year gone. Still no pears for me. Any updates outta you guys? My original tree is in a frost pocket, but I still get apples down there.
Mine is about the size of yours in your picture from 2023. No pears yet for me, but I've been pretty happy with the growth.

Your tree looks better than mine. I don’t believe I’ve had any blooms yet, I’ll have to get a picture the next time I’m over there.

Went and checked my pears today. We’ve had unseasonably warm weather this “winter”. All my pear trees are starting to leaf out, and most are just starting to bloom. Except for Johantorp, it seems to get a late start, which isn’t a bad thing as it should avoid getting blasted by late frosts. Although I might need a later blooming pollinator next door.