Is this bloom buds on my persimmon tree?

Redarrow

A good 3 year old buck
Tree is around 6 years old planted from seed. I think it maybe my first bloom but not sure. If so hope it is a female.20170516_200252_001.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Definitely blooms, but looks like it's a male...

Definitely a male.

Female trees (or branches on a perfect tree) have a single flower coming off the shoot coming from the stem. If you look at those pictures, you will see several coming from each shoot off the stem. Cut it down now if it is 1" to about 5" in diameter and bark graft female scions to it. Here is the thread with details and pics: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/sex-change-operation-transfered-from-qdma-forum.5547/

Thanks,

Jack

Quality whitetails had an excellent article on the topic in december 2008 issue

bill

Thinking I will leave it as a male. Reason being is I am further north then it's normal range. Doubt there is any others close by. I live North West ohio. I also have two grafted females planted, one being a meander and the other deer candy. They have been in the ground a couple years now. Can't wait.

Thinking I will leave it as a male. Reason being is I am further north then it's normal range. Doubt there is any others close by. I live North West ohio. I also have two grafted females planted, one being a meander and the other deer candy. They have been in the ground a couple years now. Can't wait.

You don't need to leave it a male. Just cut it at chest level and graft female scions. It will produce water sprouts for a year or two below the graft. Simply wait until the graft has taken for sure and then keep one or two of the water sprouts just below the graft. These will be male and provide pollination for this an any other trees in your area.

Thanks,

Jack

Ok thanks Jack I was actually going to ask that very question. Sounds good to me.

Ok I decided to take another look at my meader persimmon tree and I was shocked at what I found. I know why so excited. My grandma is from Kentucky and moved up to columbus ohio at 16years old in 1940. and 25 years ago when I was a kid there was a huge persimmon tree that was loaded on the family cemetery. By the time I got older and interested and went back down it had came down and was no longer. And being North of its natural range it has been a endeavor of mine the last 6 or 7 years to try my luck at getting them to grow and produce. My grandma is now 93 and we'll you know anytime is getting closer. Can't wait to show her.

20170517_162119.jpg

Great picture of what a female tree looks like!