Ironwood, hop hornbeam control

Turkish

5 year old buck +
I have a few areas that could use some TSI to allow a bit more sunlight. It's mostly sweet gum and ironwood. Has anyone successfully killed ironwood with the hack and squirt method?

I'm guessing arsenal would be the preferred herbicide for these species. I'm trying to avoid using a chainsaw as much as possible.

Why no chainsaw?

Probably doesn't want to sharpen his chain after each tree.......

I swear I have seen sparks fly when cutting Iron wood.......

You do indeed see sparks fly when cutting the stuff. I've seen it many, many times. I did some reading on it....it's due to the mineral content of the wood.

Really?.......why is the mineral content so high in Ironwood and not others I wonder?

Ironwood is incredible for camp fires. We cut some just for that. Yes definitely sparks fly!!

Why no chainsaw?
Call me a wuss. Family friend was recently paralyzed due to a saw accident. If I can come close to achieving the same objective with a hatchet, that's what I'd prefer.

Stu - X2 on multiple saw chains. I can't see going in the woods to make good headway with only 1 chain. I take everything I may need for an all-day stay when sawing. Cooler with grub and non-alc. drinks, too - no alc. while cutting !!! Safety first.

One other thing. Ironwood gets way worse once it has dried. I usually dont have too many problems cutting it down. Just make sure you cut it into firewood right away if thats what you are doing. We use it for fence posts and even legs on stands but you need to make sure you get the nails in early.

One other thing. Ironwood gets way worse once it has dried. I usually dont have too many problems cutting it down. Just make sure you cut it into firewood right away if thats what you are doing. We use it for fence posts and even legs on stands but you need to make sure you get the nails in early.

I have bent many a nail and broken many a screw trying to use ironwood for stands:(