All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting "paper" on fertilizing apple trees...

wiscwhip

5 year old buck +
I found this yesterday while perusing some info on fertilizer.

http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/support/library/pdf/fertilizing_apple_trees.pdf

Probably old news to the apple gurus on here, but it looked like a good read for the novices like myself. A lot of it seems to be geared towards commercial growers and backyard trees, but the basics should apply equally as well to food plot orchards.

Nice article.

I've sent in soil samples for my apple plot to the U of MN and I believe they could recommend fertilizer additions specifically for apple orchards - that was a relatively cheap way for me to find out the status of my soils when I started my orchard. I've also read or heard that using 1 pound of 10-10-10 fertilizer per year of tree age is a good plan, so that's what I've been using. I don't even remember where I initially heard that, but so far the results have been decent. I will say that my growth rates are typically in the 12" per year range and I wonder if bumping up the fertilizer amount would help me or hurt me. I think I would get more annual growth, but I'm always a little worried if that added growth will cause more problems with winter injury if they grow longer rather than hardening off for the winter.

Michael Phillips has written a couple of good books about apple trees and also fruit trees that I really liked. His books are geared toward organic orchards, and a lot of his recommendations revolve around building up the soil which in turns helps the apple trees. I tend to use a combination of what is found in the article you posted and Phillips' books. I use mulch, leaves, rotten hay, etc. to build the soil and smother weeds and I also use synthetic fertilizers.

Thanks Whip, for posting the link on fertilization. By reading thru this paper, I learned the importance of pre-planting soil amendments to greater depths. This year we'll have a member using his small backhoe to do the digging, so we should be able to get the soil profile in good shape to a greater depth. We'll add lots of aged mushroom compost to the holes and mix it in, lime, etc. Good info.