Interesting Food Plot Success/Failure!

M

MoLandOwner

About 2 months ago I sprayed a spot of weeds between the woods and a small bean field with 3 qts per acre of round up. Then an hour later I drove down the middle of the plot 3 times with my 4 wheeler mounted spreader and broadcast some radish and turnip seed. The funny thing is the seed in the tracks down the middle came right away. The seed off to the side just started to germinate 10 days ago. That seed has been laying there almost a month and a half! This is one time rolling down the weeds after planting may have been very helpful! Some of it is looking good!Line of Radish.jpg turnip.jpg Radish1.jpg turnaround radish.jpg

Or maybe the seed on the sides had germinated and just sat there until the tall weeds fell over enough to allow the light in enough so they could get growing?

You see similar things on bare dirt, reseeded, logging decks as well. Great, quick growth in the tire tracks and everything else plays catch-up.

The part that has me wondering is how those seeds on the sides stayed alive that long under all that weed mass and then started to grow. If we have 3 more weeks of no frost, those may make it into a pretty good food plot!

I would have to guess that it is much like you suspect, they must have germinated under that thatch and just took forever to poke there way through? I find it hard to believe with the amount of rain we have had, that they would not have germinated over that amount of time and just sat there on the top of the soil?

I would have to guess that it is much like you suspect, they must have germinated under that thatch and just took forever to poke there way through? I find it hard to believe with the amount of rain we have had, that they would not have germinated over that amount of time and just sat there on the top of the soil?

me also!

I've seen the same thing with brassicas. I made the mistake of overseeding after 12 days...then all of a sudden everything germinated and the plot was overcrowded. I like it when this happens with cereals though so that there is staggered ages within the plot.

Sent from 25 ft up a tree

Did you notice a quicker and/or better kill where the tire tracks were?

Did you notice a quicker and/or better kill where the tire tracks were?

At 3 qts of gly per acre, kill was the same everywhere.

I've seen the same thing with brassicas. I made the mistake of overseeding after 12 days...then all of a sudden everything germinated and the plot was overcrowded. I like it when this happens with cereals though so that there is staggered ages within the plot.
Sent from 25 ft up a tree
We pulled off that feat two years in a row now.