If you could buy land in any State?

That is a dandy T-Bone shot! I am not trying to say you are wrong... it sounds like a good area!

Where I hunt is Iowa, I have seen at least 4 bucks over 200 inches this year, and I know in Decatur County Iowa, there was one cool front evening where (3) 190-200 inch bucks were shot with the bow.

any of you Iowa guys have access to a piece of land to let an out of stater hunt for a week with the bow?

I'd have the points next year, but don't wanna do a guided or public land hunt. If anyone has a chunk of land they want to set a guy loose on for a week or so, let me know.

That is a dandy T-Bone shot! I am not trying to say you are wrong... it sounds like a good area!

Where I hunt is Iowa, I have seen at least 4 bucks over 200 inches this year, and I know in Decatur County Iowa, there was one cool front evening where (3) 190-200 inch bucks were shot with the bow.

from an outsiders perspective at least, Iowa is on this crazy high pedestal. And rightfully so. I think this area would surprise a lot of people though. Back in the mid 2000’s I was in a bow only club down there with 140 inch minimum. That’s pretty strong for anywhere in the country and it’s only gotten better. But at the end of the day it is Georgia and Iowa is still Iowa. Here’s a 200 from that county.

41FEA744-B314-43CC-8940-C4C9F7491A3B.jpeg

New Zealand (if money was no object), Baker's place, or Kodiac Island. Don't consider KS guys, hunting and fishing here is below par. Nothing to see here... move along. ;)

I imaged searched that county and saw plenty of monsters.

In Iowa, last I thought, $4k would still get some awesome ground bought in the south. I think Winke sold his 900 acre farm for around that price, this year.

any of you Iowa guys have access to a piece of land to let an out of stater hunt for a week with the bow?

I'd have the points next year, but don't wanna do a guided or public land hunt. If anyone has a chunk of land they want to set a guy loose on for a week or so, let me know.
I've considered trying to trade hunts or fishing trips with forum members. I think that would be a fun way to get to travel some and meet like minded people.

I would stay in the mid-west. OH, IN, KY, IL, MO, KS, IA. My thinking is pretty simple....not too north, not too south and the rivers provide fertile soil and areas of fertile soil grow big antlers! I would be looking for land in the transitional areas of these state. Places where the river valleys and hills start to level out a bit and farming is fairly common. I want a 50/50 to 70/30 mix of hardwoods to ag if I can find it.

To be honest...if I had the money, I doubt I would even leave the state....I may not even leave my county. Deer hunting is important to me....but there are more important things. All depends on the situation. I still have kids in school and lots of family not too far away...some of that is good...some of that is bad...

no .., but don’t be afraid to make a trip to Iowa and ask permission to hunt . I’d say you will go 1-10 but that one could be the ticket.

There are some small CRP/pasture farms that don’t get hunted as much and they can be very good.
Archery is easier than gun. Public land in Iowa is better than my private land in MN ... not uncommon to see multiple 130-170 inchers cruising if the conditions are right in November

Last edited:
I've considered trying to trade hunts or fishing trips with forum members. I think that would be a fun way to get to travel some and meet like minded people.
Only thing I got to trade is a possibly once in a lifetime opportunity to FLY a corolla! We would have to set the ramp back up.... We will take videos for sure... You may have to drive...I think the pilot from the maiden flight may have retired....

Only thing I got to trade is a possibly once in a lifetime opportunity to FLY a corolla! We would have to set the ramp back up.... We will take videos for sure... You may have to drive...I think the pilot from the maiden flight may have retired....
Lol, that was a great video! Would you believe that I've done similar... ramped a car into a pond. It sat there for quite a while with only the top out of the water. Used to do a lot of figure-8's and demo's. Ramping and crashing cars was our favorite pasture past-time.

West Virginia. You can still find land there for <$2K an acre (without mineral rights). The southern counties are bowhunting only and while not on par with the midwest, 140-160's are not uncommon. Possible new state record was killed this year (188) in Wyoming County.

Plus with the proper tags you can basically shoot anything that walks past you in archery season. Archery runs from Oct 1 to Dec 31st.

Lol, that was a great video! Would you believe that I've done similar... ramped a car into a pond. It sat there for quite a while with only the top out of the water. Used to do a lot of figure-8's and demo's. Ramping and crashing cars was our favorite pasture past-time.
The "good old days"....I struggle to get in and out of a car any more as it is....not sure I want to "fly" one! The flight is the easy part....the landing...well, that's a different topic! I have been around enough actual pilots and they all say a "landing" is nothing more than a "controlled crash"....and "every landing you walk away from is a good one".

How much land am I getting? I'd love to own a decent sized ranch out in Wyoming. Mule deer, elk, bear, antelope & more would all be fun and its beautiful country. It would sting to walk away from Iowa whitetail hunting though.

Southeast Texas. Great whitetails and lots of other hunting opportunities.

Good luck buying in Minnesota or Iowa for 5K an acre. Maybe with a time machine if that is on the table.
Has SE MN gone north of $5k now? I know there were awful parcels around Houston going for $4k 20 years ago already.

If I could purchase any land it would be a tossup between Wehle State Park in New York and simply adding to the property we already have. Wehle State park has some serious Lake Ontario frontage which would give good access to lakeside stands. It also has tennis courts, walking a trails, dog cemetery, white cedar, and it could grow deer to older ages. Deer would be large and antlers would not generally take up so much wall space as other states. On the other hand the winds at our property are not nearly so bad as they would be at Wehle’s.C504ED58-5BC8-4B08-8718-A4F79C4E46B5.jpeg
The deer here though can be rough on cedar trees.

Last edited:
Has SE MN gone north of $5k now? I know there were awful parcels around Houston going for $4k 20 years ago already.
I've seen good ag ground go for 14K/acre. Wooded is much less but you are going to want somewhere to plant plots and you also are going to want a piece you can access without having to own a helicopter.

I am from Delaware and can literally drive my entire state from one end to the other in 1 hour and 20 minutes and 30 minutes across...My dad went deer hunting out west a while ago and said that the land owner drove them to a gate and let them through...Told them to drive down this lane around 10 miles and they would be "about" in the middle of his property....I cannot even imagine.