Identifying management mistakes is easy, correcting them is hard

Greta&Gus

5 year old buck +
Short backstory first, the neighbor to our S/SE used to be an old farmer that did not hunt much. We shot a number of bucks coming from his property into ours and were quite successful doing so. In 2003 he died and his family put his land up for sale. There was a chance it was going to get developed and a road was going to be put in on our eastern and southern boarder.

In order to combat this my grandfather installed a 1.25 mile 8 ft fence. The property was sold to a heavy machinery school which does not allow hunting and was never subdivided so it worked out in our favor. A portion of the fence was removed but there was still at least 3/4 of a mile intact which made great funnels for us. From 2003-2010 we shot 1 six pointer, 2 eights, 3 nines, and 2 tens. We were consistently taking 2-4 year old bucks.

Between 2010-2011 we got access to plant some of the machinery school's property straight south of us so we moved the fence back to its shortest distance of 3/5 of a mile. It became where 10 out of our 14 acres of food plots were on our southern boarder and we started to see a trend of much more night activity. From 2011 to 2015 we have only harvested 2 eights, 2 sixes, a fork and a spike.

We are getting nice bucks on camera but never seeing them during daylight. I went back to my catalog of old trail camera pics and this is what I found. When the fence post was up on the eastern boarder and the food was in the northern portion of our property we got daytime movement and killed nice bucks. When the fence post is on the southern boarder we see all of the bucks leaving before daylight.

It took a few years to figure out this pattern but now, to me, it is clear. The only negative is that we have invested a lot of time/money into our southern food plots and the fence is out. I am proposing we return the fence to its old position but it is being met with opposition by some family members. Regardless of what we do it is not 5 years of throwing good money after bad and we are stuck with needing a major overhaul in our property.

The moral of the story, plan everything before you do the work and make sure to factor in all of the negatives that go along with it.

Attachments

• 10-17-09 7.50.JPG
    10-17-09 7.50.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 10-27-10-08-24-51-0.JPG
    10-27-10-08-24-51-0.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 11-1-08-1.JPG
    11-1-08-1.JPG
    556.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 11-5-08-1.JPG
    11-5-08-1.JPG
    688 KB · Views: 36
HUNT0089.JPG Nighttime pics of bucks leaving when the fence is on the south out of the southern food plots.Cdy00006.JPG Cdy00018 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMAG0059.JPG
    IMAG0059.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 14
Planning first always helps but sometimes things just don't go as planned. The fact that you have collected the data and identified the pattern is the key - you can now make adjustments as needed. The power of data can be a great thing - many times we have "gut feelings" but we struggle to back them up. Data is difficult to argue with.

Making deer move how and when you want is very difficult, but predicting what they'll do is impossible! I associate day or night usage with proximity to cover; if there is now more food, but it's farther away from the security of cover, it isn't surprising bucks aren't as visible during the day. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but is it possible to adjust without setting everything back to what it was? It's smart to carefully plan changes, then be ready to adapt if the deer fail to read the script! ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

G&G, making mistakes only makes us human. The key is doing what you've done, learn from them, try to fix the problem and do your best not to repeat them

It's smart to carefully plan changes, then be ready to adapt if the deer fail to read the script! ;)

Words of true wisdom right there

Making deer move how and when you want is very difficult, but predicting what they'll do is impossible! I associate day or night usage with proximity to cover; if there is now more food, but it's farther away from the security of cover, it isn't surprising bucks aren't as visible during the day. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but is it possible to adjust without setting everything back to what it was? It's smart to carefully plan changes, then be ready to adapt if the deer fail to read the script! ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
We are a 1/2 mile from a 30,000 acre state park that is basically a huge sanctuary. When we moved the food south the bucks do a big loop. Enter property at 8 pm and leave at 4 am. We for some reason thought that they would want to stay up in our place during the day but they consistently go back south. It is a frustrating situation.

I have a mistake I need to fix also. No big fence project but have a 10 acre field with hedge rows on both sides. Bucks used to run the hedge rows looking for does in the field until I planted Indian and bluestem. Now the field is void of deer and the hedgerows see very little activity.

It's been this way for years and I've ignored it. Next year I'm keeping the Indian and blue mowed and spraying it late summer. Time to lightly frost seed some switch and clover.

I am big fan of trial and error. Your changes made perfect sense, the deer just didn't get the memo. I would put the fence back or it will torture you fo years to come. If that is not an option try another change. Either way it seems like doing nothing is not an option. Is there a couple acres you could hinge cut closer to the food. Alter where they are bedding so they don't bed in the park. Certainly easier to make new bedding than moving a fence of that length.

I did not plant my ridge with NWS like I should have 5 years ago so in my case I moved too slow. Good luck as you continue down your property journey!