ID this weed please

Nova

5 year old buck +
I have a bunch of this popping up lately.

20180731_182355.jpg

That would be giant ragweed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, after looking at pics I believe you are 100% correct. time for some 2-4D

Have you noticed any browsing on it? If it is not interfering with your other plantings, you might consider mowing it down to keep it from seeding out but keep it alive. Deer usually browse the crap out of ragweed.

Giant Ragweed is heavily browsed on my place. Common Ragweed is barely touched.

Have you noticed any browsing on it? If it is not interfering with your other plantings, you might consider mowing it down to keep it from seeding out but keep it alive. Deer usually browse the crap out of ragweed.

I have 2 small patches of it and I looked them over pretty close last night. Doesn't seem to be touched, and it's 6' tall. It's right on the edge of 2 of my plots and I know it is gly resistant. I am already dealing with pigweed in these plots and don't want another problem weed to fight.

I have 2 small patches of it and I looked them over pretty close last night. Doesn't seem to be touched, and it's 6' tall. It's right on the edge of 2 of my plots and I know it is gly resistant. I am already dealing with pigweed in these plots and don't want another problem weed to fight.
Then yes, 2,4D will be your friend...

DEA agent Bristlecrotch here ………… :emoji_spy: That plant looks like a member of the Cannabis family, possibly a hybrid. You're surrounded - come out with your hands UP !!!!!

It's strange that some of the plants that are allergens to people are food for critters.

DEA agent Bristlecrotch here ………… :emoji_spy: That plant looks like a member of the Cannabis family, possibly a hybrid. You're surrounded - come out with your hands UP !!!!!

It's strange that some of the plants that are allergens to people are food for critters.
There is some resemblance, but I think the real question is....How do you know what a cannabis plant looks like Bowsnbucks???? :emoji_thinking:

If it's only a couple of small patches, I would just cut it off low and toss it in the plot to add organic matter as it decomposes. Make that biomass work for you!

I would get rid of as soon as possible. It invaded and area of my place and took over 4-5 acres very quickly. It out competed everything else and destroyed a pine planting I had.

Bueller - I'm a student of Native Hunter - he knows ALL about plants. :emoji_astonished: :emoji_grin: :emoji_laughing:

See how I diverted attention away from my 27.4 acres of …......……….. O :emoji_poop: !!

Yep giant ragweed and YES you could very well get a visit. I have had a blackhawk chopper almost land at my place once as I was working on an area and the giant ragweed took over.....from a distance I am sure it looked like weed. They should know I'm smarter than that.....grow weed in the basement....Duh!

I have it browsed even when large fields of soybeans are right next to it, so the deer do like diversity, however they like it on my place when its in the younger growth stages. It will/can get 8' tall or more as well, but once it dies in the winter it makes poor cover as you simply have a patch of sticks.

Strange, It's the exact opposite where i'm from.

Reactions: Tap

Strange, It's the exact opposite where i'm from.

Same for me. They nail common but leave giant ragweed alone. If it’s 6’ tall and you don’t need the cover, you might mow it down to where the deer can reach it again after it sprouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good, you spend all your time investigating him and leave my place alone

They pound the common, here.
The giant rarely gets touched, but the other day, I decided to hack down several giant and I sat them out in my plot...every leaf was eaten over night.

They pound the common, here.
The giant rarely gets touched, but the other day, I decided to hack down several giant and I sat them out in my plot...every leaf was eaten over night.

I think one reason the eat the GR better here is because there isn't much of it around. There is so much of the CR that they have it in front of them all the time.

It’s funny how often I see the geographic differences in deer preferences, particularly to how it relates to giant/common ragweed. I always smile when I see the giant on my place nipped off in the midst of soybeans that are being ignored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think one reason the eat the GR better here is because there isn't much of it around. There is so much of the CR that they have it in front of them all the time.

Our ratio of common to giant rag is also very skewed. We have tons and tons of common but giant is much less and still my deer prefer the common more than almost any other weed, or crop for that matter. I remember the 1st year that I owned an E fence. I protected a 1 acre bean plot but the common ragweed got quite established among the beans. It was probably 20% ragweed. When I removed the fence, the deer didn't touch the beans until 90% of the ragweed was eaten. To be fair, I'm not sure my deer ever saw a bean plant at that time so it's possible they just didn't know that they liked them. I haven't done beans since that year so I have no other year/use to compare to.