Ice fishing trip suggestions

Peeps

5 year old buck +
Looking for ice fishing trip suggestions. This would be for my family- wife ( likes ice fishing somewhat), son age 14 (loves ice fishing), daughter age 11 (not too into fishing), and myself. The wife is interested in perch and eyes. She said the limit is 12 hrs drive and she wants a hot tub and pool at the resort for her and my daughter when they aren’t fishing. This would be for a long weekend type trip from NE Wi. Not much to ask for rt?

You need to be more specific. Do you want to be able to keep fish? Do you want to catch BIG fish or eater size? What can you afford? Do you want to fish out of hard shacks or portables? Would you pay a guide?

I like to catch big fish and be able to catch them any time of the day and could really care less about keeping them. Lake Mille Lacs is a pretty amazing fishery. The last two winters I have seen close to 30 walleyes over 25" come through my fish house. Usually fish about 10 full days and nights per year. The lake has a 1 fish 21-23" or 28+ limit. That deters a lot of people cause they want to eat their catch. Sunrise is usually pretty cool while your getting rattle reels to go while your reeling up a walleye on your jigging rod and there isnt a soul for miles.
DSCN2161.JPG

If you can stomach the drive, have plenty to spend, and want to keep lots of fish then Devils Lake would probably be the ultimate. Hire some guide to take you out in portables or snowbears during the day and stay in the hotel at night.

Could always go to Sportsmans lodge on Lake of the Woods. That might be what your looking for. Closer to home, can keep fish, only fish during the day in heated shacks and a hot tub. You wont be able to go in and out during the day. They drop you off at the house in the morning and pick you up around dark.

Otherwise there is Lake Erie later in the year or right around Green Bay is good too.

Let me toss a couple more options out there as well, Upper Red Lake, and Leech Lake. Buck gave some good recommendations as well. The only thing is URL I am not sure about it having a resort with a hot tub, because there is a night bite, and I have always stayed in the ice house and fished.

Lake of the Woods would probably be your best bet, lots of resorts to chose from. Seem to always catch some fish there.

STAY HOME! ITS COLD OUT THERE!!!! I remember as a kid standing on a piece of carpet shivering in the cold wind watching some stupid little float slowly freeze in place while the adults drank schnops to "stay warm" and talked about how "fun" it was... "Fun"? No, not to a 12 year old who thinks they are on the verge of freezing to death...apparently it's a lot more "fun" when your intoxicated! I hate the cold...always have....always will....

jbird, you just did it wrong. You dont sit on the open ice, you stay in an ice house. Where you can have it 95 degrees if you wish. There is satellite tv, microwaves, 60 inch big screen tvs, video games, and memory foam beds. There are even indoor bathrooms. I have seen ads for ones with a sauna, and an outdoor hot tub, that is enclosed with the rental. If you can dream it, they will rent it to you!

jbird, you just did it wrong. You dont sit on the open ice, you stay in an ice house. Where you can have it 95 degrees if you wish. There is satellite tv, microwaves, 60 inch big screen tvs, video games, and memory foam beds. There are even indoor bathrooms. I have seen ads for ones with a sauna, and an outdoor hot tub, that is enclosed with the rental. If you can dream it, they will rent it to you!
What you describe is a far cry from my experiences ice fishing. Heck, based on what you describe....can you even call it fishing? Sounds like your chill'n watching the game and your just tolerate if the fish bother you!

This is not my ice house, and while I use to have a really nice wheel house, I sold it because I like to sit in a portable and fish, easier to move around, and chase the fish. But this is just a small example of what ice fishing is now.

Fish house.jpg