I think you guys ruined me

Our growing seasons are pretty short here, so if a farmer is planting soybeans or corn for grain harvest there isn't enough time for a cover crop to do much (if planted after harvest and not aerial seeded by plane). Cover crops can look impressive when planted after sileage corn is harvested in late August or early September, but cover crops don't do much when planted in November after the grain corn is picked.

I saw a few soybean fields that were top seeded with winter rye last fall after harvest. Right now those fields have a tiny amount of green growth on them, so I'm not sure that the expense of seeding could be justified by the tiny gain in organic matter before corn will be planted shortly.

Our growing seasons are pretty short here, so if a farmer is planting soybeans or corn for grain harvest there isn't enough time for a cover crop to do much (if planted after harvest and not aerial seeded by plane). Cover crops can look impressive when planted after sileage corn is harvested in late August or early September, but cover crops don't do much when planted in November after the grain corn is picked.

I saw a few soybean fields that were top seeded with winter rye last fall after harvest. Right now those fields have a tiny amount of green growth on them, so I'm not sure that the expense of seeding could be justified by the tiny gain in organic matter before corn will be planted shortly.

My WR that I broadcast spread last fall is only about 10-12" tall right now. Normally it would be 2' by now.

My WR that I broadcast spread last fall is only about 10-12" tall right now. Normally it would be 2' by now.
Did you broadcast after the soybeans were harvested or did you broadcast while the soybeans were still growing? I've had poor luck in general broadcasting any seed on my sandy soil, but seed is relatively cheap so I keep trying different things.

I conventional tilled and planted a rye/clover combo last August that is looking really good right now and probably 18" tall.

Did you broadcast after the soybeans were harvested or did you broadcast while the soybeans were still growing? I've had poor luck in general broadcasting any seed on my sandy soil, but seed is relatively cheap so I keep trying different things.

I conventional tilled and planted a rye/clover combo last August that is looking really good right now and probably 18" tall.

I always broadcast WR in early Sept. My soil leans towards sandy loam. Germination is great as WR will germinate anywhere, even in the back of my Mule dump bed.

I do find it interesting sometimes that with some breaking the ground is of the devil but we dont talk about all the poison we are spraying everywhere and on that soil. For the record, i dont till any soil currently and use a sprayer. Im still trying to figure out where i am with all of it but i will say I certainly dont like the spraying either. I‘m sorry but when im out there with protection on and a respirator spraying and it smells like death after im done no one is going to convince me that’s the greatest thing to be doing either. I dont have the answers and certainly not going to fault someone for tilling if they feel thats the best way to do things at there place.

You are absolutely right! There is a big downside to deep tillage as we destroy the natural soil microbiology and reduce nutrient cycling. On the upside, weeds are turned upside down and you can grow stuff without herbicides. There are risks and rewards both ways. Highly fertile soils seem to be able to tolerate tillage much better than the marginal soils most of us are using for food plots. The most fertile soil is usually farmed as it is more economically viable than trying to farm on marginal soils. That is why most of us who own land for deer hunting and recreational use don't have the best soils.

I find that the less I bend nature to benefit deer or other specific species, the more benefit I get for less time and money. The more I try to bend it, the less the marginal benefit and higher the cost. For most of us who are managing for deer, I think the balance favors no-till methods judiciously using herbicides. As I have evolved in deer management, I've significantly reduced both tillage and herbicide use. What is a weed to a farmer may well be more nutritious to deer than the crop we plant. So, weed tolerance has worked its way into my process.

I find that clover is the anchor of my deer program. I no longer want a clover field that looks like a clean farm crop. I no longer spray grass selective herbicides. I burn down a field, use a WR nurse crop, and use best practices to establish a clean field of clover. After it is established, I just tolerate weeds. In the summer you wouldn't even know it was a clover field from a distance, but after I mow in the fall just as evenings are cooling off and fall rains start, the clover that was under the weeds all along, dominates the field again. Eventually, grasses and other weeds will become dominate even after a fall mowing, but by then the field is 7 to 10 years old and it is time to rotate into an N-seeking crop.

The other thing I've found is that there are plenty of crops we can plant that benefit deer that are tolerant of poor fertility and low pH. They also seem to compete better with weeds. Why? Because the weeds that are growing in your area are the ones that are well adapted to the soil and climate. By choosing deer crops that have similar characteristics, I'm bending nature less and still covering our summer stress period.

While I'm generally an advocate of no-till/min-till for food plots, there is no one answer that is a fit for every situation.

Thanks,

Jack

^^^You can send just about anyone out to the field to run tillage equipment with minimal experience so its a lot easier to find bodies. Set the tractor up for autosteer, set the implement up for them. Then its just basically one hydraulic remote for up and down, try not to fall asleep, dont hit anything, and watch for broken shit.

Finding someone qualified to understand no-till, the importance of seeding depth for corn, and how a no-till application needs to go is an ENTIRELY different animal, especially in regards to corn. Planting depth really matters for corn, not so much for beans. Then you have to understand seeding rates, row cleaners, sidewall compaction, downforce and closing wheel pressure.

If you phuck it up planting then you have to live with it all year. Planting hands down is the most important pass a farmer makes all year. Doing conventional tillage greatly reduces the chance of having major planting malfunctions in most instances.

We need to remember when it comes to cover crops that many times it is the growth below the surface that matters. Even those fields with 4" tall covers can have a root system that is 20" or more below ground.

I had turned a woods into a food plot in 2014, and I plant winter rye every fall, with some sort of summer crop planted mid summer. The black soil was only about 2-4 inches deep when I first started. Now it is about a foot deep of pure black soil. Not bad for 6 years.

I also converted my old camp site, which had 2-3 inches of gravel over it, I just lightly diced and planted winter rye into it, and there is over 6 inches of black soil in that spot as well. The deer seem to like it in the fall, and spring, and it makes black gold in my plots. I am a believer of winter rye!