I need fall food plot advice please

silver pigeon

Yearling... With promise
I am in west central illinois. I am a novice when it comes to food plots. I have four acres of corn that will be harvested in the next month or so. Is it possible to no-till drill right into the corn stalks after it is harvested? I have several bags of Outfitters Blend which is 63% wheat, 14% oats, 6% rye, 3% brassicas, 2% radish, and 1% berseem clover that I need to use up. I am hoping to just drill this seed blend right into the corn stalks and see what happens. It will be planted back into beans next spring. Can you suggest another type of seed to add, more Brassicas, radish, turnips? I don't quite have enough Outfitters Blend to plant four acres. Should I leave some standing corn? I am not a farmer someone farms it for me, so I have access to some equipment.

How many pounds of seed do you have?

I would add peas and radish. How many pounds of each will depend on how many pounds of seed you have. Probably go with mor wheat or rye.

Again it will depend on how much seed you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer your 1st question... Yes, you can drill into corn stalks. Have you considered leaving some of the corn standing through the winter? If you can afford to do so, I suggest leaving some of it stand through the winter. Mow it off next spring before bean planting time. You will need to burn down the wheat prior to planting beans next spring too.

I am in west central illinois. I am a novice when it comes to food plots. I have four acres of corn that will be harvested in the next month or so. Is it possible to no-till drill right into the corn stalks after it is harvested? I have several bags of Outfitters Blend which is 63% wheat, 14% oats, 6% rye, 3% brassicas, 2% radish, and 1% berseem clover that I need to use up. I am hoping to just drill this seed blend right into the corn stalks and see what happens. It will be planted back into beans next spring. Can you suggest another type of seed to add, more Brassicas, radish, turnips? I don't quite have enough Outfitters Blend to plant four acres. Should I leave some standing corn? I am not a farmer someone farms it for me, so I have access to some equipment.

It may depend on the size of your drill. I have a little Kasco Versa drill that does not handle debris well. The good news is that that mix doesn't need to be drilled. You can surface broadcast it before a good rain, or cultipack after broadcasting it. That mix is light on legumes. I would consider adding Crimson Clover (another annual clover like berseem). I's shoot for a total clover component of about 10 lbs/ac.

one final thought. Farmers are often subsidized to broadcast a cover crop after harvesting corn or beans. Your mix is quite similar to cover crop mixes. I'd chat with your farmer.
Thanks,

Jack

Depends on your drill, like Jack mentioned many can't handle corn stalks very well..

If all else fails wait before a good rain and broadcast ahead of it. Will come up just fine.

I would add overseeding with WR (winter rye). Great fall/winter browse.

Corn leaves a lot of thatch behind. I don't think broadcasting the seed will work very well unless you have the stalks baled first. If your farmer isn't doing no till, a light discing would increase your success a lot.