I leave for my first elk hunt in the morning.

Good luck omicron. I hope you do as well as my nephew did on his first elk hunt.
My bil took him out a couple weeks ago to Colorado. We all told him you might as well stop right now, it probably all down hill from here.IMG_8921.jpeg

Im on the other side.

Came back this weekend from two weeks of DIY public (CO OTC) elk chasing for the first time. An amazing trip and experience. It has some opportunity. The highlight reel was everything but elk. If i went again- it wont be public unless a high odds harvest and low draw area. CO is breath taking - if youve never been to the western side- GO!

Im on the other side.

Came back this weekend from two weeks of DIY public (CO OTC) elk chasing for the first time. An amazing trip and experience. It has some opportunity. The highlight reel was everything but elk. If i went again- it wont be public unless a high odds harvest and low draw area. CO is breath taking - if youve never been to the western side- GO!
How were the crowds?

How were the crowds?
We hunted three locations, hunted two hard. One, which had some scenic peaks and vista had more folks (not just hunters). Ironically this was also the hardest hikes and highest elevation. The next had far more game, less people, easier topography, but outfitting neighbors. Both had equal size trail heads and access.

Well. That was quick! Group of 100 elk walked right through pinch point as I wanted at 8:10 this morning. 2 bulls and I took this one. 140yard shot with 6.5prc. He didn’t take a step, but I put a second insurance shot in. Both shots hit within 2 inches of each other!

IMG_5305.jpeg

Found both bullets in offside hide. Both hit heart, it was mush.

Sounds like my buddies hunt last year,his outfitter called and said several bulls were hitting wallow and when could he come out.So he left early and got there in afternoon had bull on ground by dark and back home next evening

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G990U3 using Tapatalk

Awesome

Congratulations!

Flat out AWESOME! Congrats!

My youngest son is really into chasing elk, he goes out every couple of years into the mountains and has really enjoyed it.
Like Bill said...some GREAT eating.

Flat out AWESOME! Congrats!

My youngest son is really into chasing elk, he goes out every couple of years into the mountains and has really enjoyed it.
Like Bill said...some GREAT eating.
I ended up just getting a processor, and there’s a company with a refrigerated truck that will drive it down over the next couple of weeks to my house in Alabama. I guess I’m buying another deep freeze!

I ended up just getting a processor, and there’s a company with a refrigerated truck that will drive it down over the next couple of weeks to my house in Alabama. I guess I’m buying another deep freeze!

You are going to love it!

My son rents a couple llamas to pack out meat then drops it off at a local processor to cut&wrap and flash freeze, then he packs it in coolers for the drive home.

IMG_8399.jpeg

IMG_8400.jpeg

You are going to love it!

My son rents a couple llamas to pack out meat then drops it off at a local processor to cut&wrap and flash freeze, then he packs it in coolers for the drive home.

View attachment 69557

View attachment 69558
We used mules. Llamas, that’s cool.

This part of the country is WAY different than where I come from. Killed mine at 8500’. I live at 300’. Ha.

IMG_5277.jpeg

We used mules. Llamas, that’s cool.

This part of the country is WAY different than where I come from. Killed mine at 8500’. I live at 300’. Ha.

View attachment 69559
The scenery out there is nearly as impressive as the wild animals that inhabit the area.