I leave for my first elk hunt in the morning.

West_ fork. What state are you in??

If you have too many of something you could always try to hire a couple of MN DNR employees. You can bet your ass they will help you thin the herd. I'd love some good elk meat.

Maybe you missed my point, the elk were never there (my property) until the state planted them to "enhance" a national park that does not contain any elk habitat. The elk have remained on private since. I am one of the few left who understands the history, and one more generation and everyone will believe the elk have always been here and history will be forgotten.

I called rmef a coupe years to see if they would help fund an aerial gunning effort. They said they don't do that, they only support increasing herds. I told them they are very irresponsible, and fix your stupid fake habitat maps.
I’ll be glad to help you!

West_ fork. What state are you in??

If you have too many of something you could always try to hire a couple of MN DNR employees. You can bet your ass they will help you thin the herd. I'd love some good elk meat.
Utah. I always appreciate working with pros.

Last edited:
Maybe you missed my point, the elk were never there (my property) until the state planted them to "enhance" a national park that does not contain any elk habitat. The elk have remained on private since. I am one of the few left who understands the history, and one more generation and everyone will believe the elk have always been here and history will be forgotten.

I called rmef a coupe years to see if they would help fund an aerial gunning effort. They said they don't do that, they only support increasing herds. I told them they are very irresponsible, and fix your stupid fake habitat maps.
Westfork, do you live in the are outside of the map below?

The above is a link to an article on historic elk range and the map below is part of the article.
1728518175234.png

I love Utah! We were there a few years back

Good luck Omicron, is this your first elk hunt?

I’ll be glad to help you!
The depredation hunt runs from August to January, with snow ending it early in late November or early December. This is not a place you want to get caught in weather late in the year.

Westfork, do you live in the are outside of the map below?

The above is a link to an article on historic elk range and the map below is part of the article.
View attachment 69465
1000031473.png

A guy I know named Charles Kay did a repeat photo study of the Lewis and Clark routes which destroys the idea of the pristine myth and native cultures were "in balance" with nature. Basically the only place the explorers found megafauna was in the buffers between waring tribes, and overall there is a dramatic increase in woody plants after euro settlement which ended cultural burning practices.

As far as elk go, no they were never on the Kolob Plateau historically. i can demonstrate this with the downward trend in elder berry, and by the fact that elk could not have possibly been hunted to extinction here because even today with more hunters than ever and modern weapons, the herds continue to increase. In addition, there was very little grass here pre-euros. It was a native forb community that supported mule deer, not elk.

Also, that map is very coarse scale, is not based on empirical data, and includes numerous inclusions that elk still do not occupy, but the map purported by rmef is far worse to increase their customer base.

Last edited:
View attachment 69466

A guy I know named Charles Kay did a repeat photo study of the Lewis and Clark routes which destroys the idea of the pristine myth and native cultures were "in balance" with nature. Basically the only place the explorers found megafauna was in the buffers between waring tribes, and overall there is a dramatic increase in woody plants after euro settlement which ended cultural burning practices.

As far as elk go, no they were never on the Kolob Plateau historically. i can demonstrate this with the downward trend in elder berry, and by the fact that elk could not have possibly been hunted to extinction here because even today with more hunters than ever and modern weapons, the herds continue to increase. In addition, there was very little grass here pre-euros. It was a native forb community that supported mule deer, not elk.
This is a great discussion and like @Wind Gypsy said I hate to hijack the original thread.

I like my argument that elk belong on the landscape out west more than cattle but trust me I understand the need to provide food. I just find it ironic when ranchers or farmers start complaining about things that are supposed to be vs things that have been introduced.
Where do you stand on the wolf issue?

This is a great discussion and like @Wind Gypsy said I hate to hijack the original thread.
I was thinking the same. Apologies to Omicron. I will take my rant elsewhere, I don't want to interrupt the soon to be pictures of dead elk.

We had elk and bison found in native American Indian sites in our own IL farm. Certainly don't need them here now though! Too populated of a state. I'd love to go west and hunt an elk. Interestingly, my dad bought his springfield 30-06 upon his army discharge in '68. Had intentions to hunt large animals out west somewhere along the way. Life happened and all that gun has ever taken are coyotes here in IL. I think time has slipped away.

Deal, PM me. Thanks to screwed up trail cam order, I have a group of West Virginia veterans in there right now. They harvested a cow yesterday, and three more cow tags to fill plus a bull. I have been trying to get a disabled hunter program going the past few years after I decided no more locals are allowed. It's starting to take off.
In other times I may take you up on this. Not this year, my wife is currently undergoing some treatments for her health.....so I gotta stick close. The last time I went elk hunting was nearly 15 years ago....and those mountains were starting to kick my ass. Not sure it would be any fun these days.....tho some ranch hunts are still plausible. Getting old and going elk hunting do not mix very well for us flatlands.

The depredation hunt runs from August to January, with snow ending it early in late November or early December. This is not a place you want to get caught in weather late in the year.
I’m actually thinking about coming out in august for deer, I’m just starting to do research. I’ve been applying for everything for years now.