Hybrid oaks.

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Any thoughts, observations about hybrid oaks?

I ordered some Burgamble hybrids from the Idaho state nursery last year I’m very happy with there growth this year but I clearly have no info on acorn production of them quite yet.

No acorns from mine yet, but I'm real happy with the growth from two hybrids. Schuette's, which is Swamp white x Bur and Riparian Oak which is a cross between Northern red and Shumard. Besides English oak, these have been my favorites out of about 10 different varieties that I've planted. I do have high hopes for a possible hybrid "Heritage oak" Bur x English. I received the acorns from b116757 last fall. The seedlings out grew everything else that I started this spring. Also, the place I got the Riparian from gave me a couple Pin x Nuttall crosses to try. That sounds interesting and should be a late dropper.

I direct seeded several of those possible Bur x English crosses myself but my life right now is pretty crazy and I haven’t even been around to check on them. I got my RM18’s cleaned out in the last couple days and am probably going to start some of them in the RM’s this weekend. Guys I should have no issue securing another batch of them this fall for anyone wanting some to try some next spring.

I told myself I wasn't starting anymore oaks! :emoji_grinning:

How much were them Idaho oaks?

Do you live in Idaho?

Do u want any scarlet seedlings?

I have boo coo

I direct seeded several of those possible Bur x English crosses myself but my life right now is pretty crazy and I haven’t even been around to check on them. I got my RM18’s cleaned out in the last couple days and am probably going to start some of them in the RM’s this weekend. Guys I should have no issue securing another batch of them this fall for anyone wanting some to try some next spring.
I would love ❤️ some please

Anyone have a good source on Schuette seedlings or acorns for next year? Oikos has some nice sounding varieties. I have a portion of a poorly draining, fallow hay field adjacent to food plots i'm converting into transition/bedding with conifers and dogwood that i'd love to get some schuettes planted right on the food plot edge.

I have a few of @b116757's english x bur acorns sprouting and direct planted but wasn't fully ready to act on em when i got them. Still have a few in the fridge i might get in RM18s and put in the wife's garden for the winter after she's done with it this fall ala @Wild Thing's method in my rootmaker oak planting thread.

I would love ❤️ some please
I may even have some now I can spare shoot me a PM with your address I’ll check on them in the nut fridge. I had quite a few last fall but have shipped out several batch’s to forum members.

The Idaho seedling where cheap maybe $45 for 15 and I don’t actually recall the price it may have been cheaper. I do not live in Idaho they had no issue shipping to me. Be ready September 1st to place your order they sell out quickly. I set a calendar reminder on my phone so I don’t forget about it.

No acorns from mine yet, but I'm real happy with the growth from two hybrids. Schuette's, which is Swamp white x Bur and Riparian Oak which is a cross between Northern red and Shumard. Besides English oak, these have been my favorites out of about 10 different varieties that I've planted. I do have high hopes for a possible hybrid "Heritage oak" Bur x English. I received the acorns from b116757 last fall. The seedlings out grew everything else that I started this spring. Also, the place I got the Riparian from gave me a couple Pin x Nuttall crosses to try. That sounds interesting and should be a late dropper.
Here's a schuette's shooting out of a 5' tube. Second year in the ground.

Attachments

• 20220618_184444.jpg
    20220618_184444.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 39
Trivia fact: Idaho is the only state in the lower 48 that did not have any native oaks prior to 'European' settlement. Any oaks currently present in or originating from ID are the result of oaks being planted there by settlers over the past 200+ yrs.

One of my most productive - and sweetest - acorn producers is one of 3 'Sweet Idaho' bur oak seedlings I bought from the defunct Bear Creek Nursery, back around 1996. Supposedly, these came from three isolated bur oaks... planted by settlers.

I have the 'McDaniel' BurXEnglish grafted here - big acorns, and lots of them, but it's a weevil magnet.

Good timing on this. I went and planted a pile of oaks in my yard this spring(okay my parents and uncle did as I broke my ankle) as I have some old oaks in the estate and many have fallen and are dead/dying with no native stock to take over when the landscape is clear of these majestic beasts.

I spoke with a local arborist and he recommended looking at Schuette and Bebbs oak hybrids as they have vigor and not susceptible to bur oak blight that is plaguing our area. (we only have bur oaks in my area).

My issue is that I like direct seeding acorns and want to restock the shelves wherever I can. Espeically in areas where my plan is to convert to old field/pollinator plantings. I tried emailing morse nurseries who sells hybrid oaks on acorn availability but they haven't responded. If anybody knows where is a source, I have a baganut contraption that I will loan out to anybody looking to harvest a bounty.

Or, if anybody has a handful to spare, I will pay for some spare acorns and get them going in root trapper bags over the winter.

Hybrids can be next to impossible to correctly identify; man at West Chester University- with a forestry degree and experience as an arborist - believes a big tree on campus is not a Bartram Oak but another hybrid. Google the history of the Bartram Oak tree and you will learn DNA has determined it is indeed a hybrid - a cross between a willow oak and a northern red oak.
An interesting read and information regarding where folks in Pa (and surroundinfg states) might look for acorns on campus. Enjoy!

Quad's Big Tree Grove Features a “Champion”

https://www.wcupa.edu › documents › treeTourMay Click on the title Quad's Big ,,,,,,,, and you will get the story

PDF

Last edited:
I have quite a few different acorns still in my nut fridge now that I haven’t had time to plug if your interested I’d be willing to ship some of them to you. Most of what’s left in the fridge is acorns from different red oak trees specific species unknown. One is an extremely heavy annual acorn bearing tree likely a Shumard. I’m zone 6B

I have planted a fair amount of oak the last few years. My property has a good supply of native red oaks, especially young ones. I'm adding the accessories. 26 months ago I planted 30 size 25 burr oak plugs from Itasca greenhouse and tubed most of them. Also have a few schuttes, about dozen burr oak gamble, maybe 20 swamp white oak. My burr oaks planted 2 years ago are growing like crazy. 75% of them are right at the top of the tube. A few overachievers are already out and look really good. They have a weed mat, mulch, and fertilizer. They went through major drought last year with no watering. This year they are pissed off and taking revenge. I injected a little fertilizer into the soil about 3 weeks ago. They look very happy and healthy. Wanna cut the tube down 2 feet and slip a cage on a few of these.

IMG_9884.JPGIMG_9900.JPGIMG_9923.JPG

I prefer Swamp Bur Oaks. Anything with a Swamp white mix had done well for me. Including just straight SWO !

I get acorns on direct seeded bur oak acorns in about 10-13 years at my place. I have two that I planted as acorns producing their first crop this year. These are in my yard so full sun, regular water, fertilizer so babied but I’m tickled they started putting out acorns so young. Bur oak isn’t my favorite deer oak but they are majestic massive trees when mature. I have direct seeded several dozen bur acorns out on the one farm not so much in my orchard but different areas I’d like some nice trees some day.

Here are some of the hybrids you sent me!

Thanks
John

Attachments

• 1FE5CC16-F5CD-4D30-9305-F7C8EAB97CCE.jpeg
    1FE5CC16-F5CD-4D30-9305-F7C8EAB97CCE.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 17