Hunting during logging

chummer

5 year old buck +
Well my logging process has not gone according to plan. A very wet June cost the loggers a month. They were suppose to be done by Labor Day but are only half done. They are estimating another month. The contract states they can not cut during deer season which starts on the 27th. They are asking me to waive that. This is the first year I have had the property and I dont want the logging to go into next year. I did get them to throw in dozing about 5 acres of plots and they will leave their temporary bridges (don't think they wanted them anyway). My question is has anyone hunted a property while active logging was going on. They said they will not work on weekends. I imagine bow season will be tough and riffle starts third week off October. The half they have done is going to be the sanctuary so there is about 30 acres that will be quiet. That area is also across a big ravine so the logging way not push the deer to far. Should I just let it sit till the rut?

If they log when food is gone and the deer have not left for wintering, it is unreal. But your neighbors may score as well. Never seen so many deer as when they log in the winter here in MN.

They will be logging afer frost so the deer will be on their 6 month woody browse diet.

If its like where I hunt you will be calling deer from a long ways. Drive my truck through mid day and deer everywhere. Wolves come shortly there after and the loggers say you can or cant sit and watch them as well.

But get it done. Food plots grow in year one. Everything else takes years and most of us itch for progress.

a lot of nice deer have been taken during logging operations in our neck of the woods.they will hone in on these spots when food is tough.the question is what food supplies are available in the area then.we dont have the oaks,apples or other natural mast crops that you may have that could change that.farm crops and food plots to consider too.also if conditions are dry ,damage from logging equipment is greatly reduced.

a lot of nice deer have been taken during logging operations in our neck of the woods.they will hone in on these spots when food is tough.the question is what food supplies are available in the area then.we dont have the oaks,apples or other natural mast crops that you may have that could change that.farm crops and food plots to consider too.also if conditions are dry ,damage from logging equipment is greatly reduced.
There are no oaks, ag, or food plots within miles and very few apples. Maybe this will be a good thing.

If I'm able to log this fall, I'll buy a license. If not, I'm not hunting at all. The tops are better than any food plot you can grow.

You will see deer, but you may not be alone.

If I'm able to log this fall, I'll buy a license. If not, I'm not hunting at all. The tops are better than any food plot you can grow.
Do the leaves need to drop before they cut the tree for the deer to browse it? My guess is they are after the buds.

You will see deer, but you may not be alone.
My only neighbor doesn't hunt and I am surrounded by the back side of 17k acres of state land. I better keep an eye on the loggers!

Logging dictates bedding. Bedding dictates predictable success for the overall plan. House the deer and you can predict/dictate what they will do. Sometimes. Kind of.

Attached leaves are still good browse.

Last fall I dropped a dozen or so aspens in a pocket where I was hunting (stand site) and the only deer I saw all nibbled on the fresh tops.

Attached leaves are still good browse.

Last fall I dropped a dozen or so aspens in a pocket where I was hunting (stand site) and the only deer I saw all nibbled on the fresh tops.
How long are tops viable? I might have a herd of deer by the end of November.

Let 'em do it all. The year they did our soon to be place, you could see dozens of deer in there cleaning up the tops. I'd even go so far as to ask them to save some work for right up to season. They're putting fresh chow on the ground.

Loudest and most expensive deer call on the market right here.
MS%20250%20zoom.jpg

They'll eat them all winter from what I've seen.

Drop em with or without leaves - they eat both.

They'll eat them all winter from what I've seen.

Drop em with or without leaves - they eat both.
Good to know. I will be hinging a lot in March too so they will have some good eats for a while.

Let 'em do it all. The year they did our soon to be place, you could see dozens of deer in there cleaning up the tops. I'd even go so far as to ask them to save some work for right up to season. They're putting fresh chow on the ground.
I am not to upset about it. I wanted to get some of the plots planted with WR but I will probably miss that window. They will be cutting well into the season so I will find out.

Ours are all in their wintering cover by then. If you have deer around, they'll love the browse though.

Ours are all in their wintering cover by then. If you have deer around, they'll love the browse though.
Based on what I saw when I walked the place last winter they all leave. Maybe some migrating through will stay for a bit and come back in the spring.