Hunting Boots

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
My feet seem to get cold every season regardless of the boots I wear. Does anyone have a pair of boots they swear by and can say their feet NEVER get cold during the hunting season? If so, please tell me the name of the boot and where you purchased them. The price don't matter as long as they keep your feet warm. I'm aware it's not just the boot, but you need good socks as well.

Best boots I've ever owned are a set of military surplus "Micky Mouse" boots. I hate cold toes and will go to great lengths to keep them warm. These work well for me.

Some people will get cold feet with 2000 gram insulation boots in 40 degree weather... just the way it is. Some people, like my brother, have poor circulation that makes it super easy for them to get cold. A bigger boot and thicker wool sock will help, but if you're like my brother the only real answer is to get electronic boot warmers. A heat source is much different than trying to conserve heat. Get a quality pair and don't look back.

Last edited:
...and its important to get the boots a bit oversized with the socks you will be wearing, so that they don't bind your feet and cut off circulation....

My feet get cold easily too. The Sorel Caribou has worked better for me than anything else I've ever tried. I can't say my feet have never been cold in them, but they are pretty darn warm. I will be watching this thread to see what others recommend as well....

I hear you my feet get cold super easy too. My wife made me some things to slip over my boot also bought a pair of work n sport 2000 g insulated boots for farm and fleet few year back. Got them in wide and half size bigger to get some nice thick wool sock in them. I have always wonder about battery powered sock.

I use a 800 g insulated rubber boot all season. When it gets cold I bring my boot blankets with me to the stand and throw them on over my rubber boots for the sit. If it's really cold I throw a couple hand warmers in my boot blankets and my feet stay toasty warm.

I bought a pair of Baffin boots a few yrs back and consider them one of my best hunting purchases I've ever made. Not very bulky for how warm they are, and easy to walk in for a warm boot.
The other route that I have done in the past like others have mentioned is a pair of decent boots, and put boot blankets on when you get to the stand. Hand warmers in the toes will guarantee no cold toes that day

Try wearing Alpaca socks they much warmer then wool.

I have been wearing a silk pair, or wicking pair only with my Baffins.
Do alpaca Socks make your feet sweat ?

+1 for boot blankets. put them on when you get to your stand and have warm feet, not after your feet start to get cold.

1200 gram high rubber Burleys 1 size bigger. Fleece under-socks with thick wool socks over those. I put Toasty Toes pads under my toes on the outside of my wool socks before pulling on boots. For long sits - boot blankets as soon as I get in the stand.

If your feet get cold from sweating, you might try an anti-persperant.

I hunt in MN and I have struggled with this before. This is what I have found to work.

First, the rest of your body has to be warm. If your core, head, arms or legs are cold it may be more bearable but your feet will also be cold. Secondly, I like boots with plenty of room so I can wear 2 pairs of wool socks (1 thin and 1 typical thickness). Then I like 2000 gram Thinsulate PAC boot. I have the Cabelas Inferno 2000 but others work. I also recommend bringing boot blankets and put them on in stand. Finally, try to not keep your legs bent for extended periods. Alternate straightening them if you need to. This is not foolproof but each of these things have helped.

I have been wearing a silk pair, or wicking pair only with my Baffins.
Do alpaca Socks make your feet sweat ?
My feet sweat less and the alpaca socks seam to have less odor at the days end.

These days it doesn't seem to get too cold here in our part of Missouri until after firearms season. I've had a pair of Mickey Mouse boots for probably 25 years that do work very well in the cold. They always feel kind of clunky though so I don't wear them as much as I used too. For the most part I wear good socks and a pair of rubber boots. My son has kind of taken over my old pair of 800 gm insulation boots. So I wear my newer 600 gm ones. If it's below freezing I throw a hand warmer in each one. My hands and feet get cold easy so a hand warmer in the backhand of my gloves and in my boots are routine. I'm not too often uncomfortably cold that way, but again, I'm in south central MO and we just don't get real cold weather here.

I hunt in NW Wisconsin, I have hunted in temps in the 80's, and minus 40 below zero. Neither is comfortable to hunt. I am still wearing my pair of 2000 gram boots from Gander Mountain I bought in the early 2000's because they are light enough to walk in, and warm enough to sit in. They arent as warm as they use to be, and they arent water proof anymore, but I have bought several new pairs of boots since then, and they just dont hold up. The quality isnt there anymore. I wish they still made the same boot from back then, but they dont. I would love a good recommendation of a good warm, light-ish boot that will last, but I am afraid that I will never find another good pair.

I'll add this, one of the BIG reasons peoples feet get cold is due to feet sweating on walk into stand and then that sweat cools and drops toe temps, your toes are the farthest from your heart, so they tend to go cold first
a few things I can suggest to help you is this
ONE< when you get to your stand, CHANGE into WARM dry socks, sounds silly and wasted time, but if your going to be on stand a while(or possibly,we all hope its a short sit to a fast BIG buck) I used to carry mine in an inside coat pocket, so they stay warm!
NEXT, and it comes down to a personal thing here, as like above, some folks feet get cold long before others will!

BUT get yourself a pair of boot blankets
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Icebreaker-Insulated-Boot-Blanket-Overboots/748998.uts

I have the ice Breaker one's they can do wonders for me on super COLD days and 12+ hr sits
in a ground blinds I have been known to use them without my boots on at all, and just stick a heat pack in each and then the boot blankets, and have toasty toes all day long/
I do this too in SOME Of my stands, but due to the fact its NOT easy for me with a bad back to so do in a small treestand platform, I only do so in larger two person stands

THAT or I put on at bottom of stand and climb in with them
BOTH over boot or again just socks inside and boot OFF!

HEat SHield makes some as well, there WAY thinner, the boot blanket one are BIG and Bulky!

http://www.basspro.com/ArcticShield-Boot-Covers-for-Men/product/55198/

I have used a few of there products and they do reflect heat, like a space blanket, I would think they would be very good in a boot blanket, but never actually used them

they also NOW sell some pretty decent heated sole inserts for ANY boot you already have
that might be a good answer to those that get cold feet FAST

I seen some run off of cordless tool battery packs, NOT light or easy to add to all we carry
but could be a solution and NOT make you spend more money on new boots

Micky Mouse Boots are a LONG standing top cold weather boot, but to be they suck to walk in!
but there a great boot for stand hunting!

Mickey mouse boots are super. However when I sit all day in Canada I wear either my mickey mouse boots and a fresh pair of dry wool socks, or my heater body suit with no boots on at all. Perspiration is your worst enemy, along with poor circulation. I sit all day in Canada brutal temps with fresh wool socks regardless of what I wear. The key is keep feet dry of sweat.

I'm trying some alpaca socks this year. See how it goes

Thx for all inputs.