Hunting another property - is a deer a deer?

I completely disagree with a lack of a legit reason. There's been a couple studies, but it just passes the common sense test that if you reduce deer numbers you reduce the spread rate. Now, I see how one can argue that reducing it isn't a solution (and they'd be 100% right) and that there is no reason to reduce the spread (I'd disagree completely, but will concede that is a valid argument). There is a legit reason to kill everything brown, though (to slow the spread). If that's the "right" path or if we should ignore it are the only two questions in my mind.

Which would generally eliminate the U.S. gooberment as a possible leader in the conspiracy :D

Actually, some I spoke too worked for the "gooberment," some were retired and some worked for private universities. So, coordinating the propaganda would be impossible. I have no doubt they believe it.

I completely disagree with a lack of a legit reason. There's been a couple studies, but it just passes the common sense test that if you reduce deer numbers you reduce the spread rate. Now, I see how one can argue that reducing it isn't a solution (and they'd be 100% right) and that there is no reason to reduce the spread (I'd disagree completely, but will concede that is a valid argument). There is a legit reason to kill everything brown, though (to slow the spread). If that's the "right" path or if we should ignore it are the only two questions in my mind.

There is no right or wrong, only speculation of the consequence of policy. I speculate fewer deer means fewer hunters and a smaller voice. But I could be wrong.

Does fewer deer mean fewer hunters?

Anybody who knows me very well, knows I'm a bit of conspiracy theorist (maybe more than a bit).

I have pondered the possibility of CWD being the "boogie man"....i.e. someone somewhere knows that it can/does cross the species barrier. That has led to the teaching of less deer is better in universities, DNRs who don't value deer, and very liberal antlerless quotas almost across the board where deer exist.

Probably not the case...

Don't sell yourself short. When did CWD cross the propaganda border?

Popped up in CO in '67 and I first herd of it in NE in 2003 or so?

Where did Bueller go? I need to talk to his kid.

Kidding.

I have said it before and it still rings true. I don't come here to have everybody agree with me. I come here to learn and share. Forums are great for that.
Ha, I'm still here. Just have to actually work for a couple hours of the 16 hour shift ;). I'm not shooting deer because "the man" told me to do so. I'm doing it because I like the challenge and frankly I enjoy it. One of my most memorable hunts was on that property. Stalking ridge tops and sneaking up on bedded deer on heavily pressured public land in the pouring rain which made the ground silently when it is usually crunchy as hell. I didn't close the deal that today but had several close encounters, including one with a nice buck.

I'd be more proud of my son if he harvested a doe doing what I just described where I described doing it than if he shot a beautiful 8 point out of the elevated blind overlooking our food plot.

I'd be more proud of my son if he harvested a doe doing what I just described where I described doing it than if he shot a beautiful 8 point out of the elevated blind overlooking our food plot.

My endeavors are driven by my kids as well - I get that.

It just pisses me off what has happened across the country in the past 10 to 15 years and I have a drive to stop the bleeding.

Thanks for contributing in a positive manner.

I remember reading about CWD back when I was in high school (very early 80s). It was always one of those "it'll never happen here" things in my mind. When it hit WI in 2002 I was definitely a bit shocked.

..would not surprise me a bit if the 'word' came out in the early 2000's along with every other modern deer manger rationale to reduce deer numbers. and it worked in cold pockets and was ignored in areas of good hunting.

My endeavors are driven by my kids as well - I get that.

It just pisses me off what has happened across the country in the past 10 to 15 years and I have a drive to stop the bleeding.

Thanks for contributing in a positive manner.
And I get that. The public lands near my place in WI used to have what many would consider good hunting, not great but definitely not poor. It has been reduced to poor over the years but I feel that with the herd is being given a chance to rebound with the limited doe tags issued in the last couple years. I hope I'm not wrong. Amazing that public land in IL, less than 2 hours from Chicago, can have better deer hunting than public land in Central WI.

I pray that we have seen the worst here in WI and are now back on track. Wouldn't bet the farm on it though. Hopefully IL and MN and other states are at or near bottoms also and will be given the chance to rebound in the coming years.

There is no right or wrong, only speculation of the consequence of policy. I speculate fewer deer means fewer hunters and a smaller voice. But I could be wrong.

Does fewer deer mean fewer hunters?

I speculate that you are correct, but I also speculate that CWD is a serious deer disease. I share your belief that it doesn't currently posse a threat to human health. I was able to conclude that easily by a lack of an increase of brain diseases in CO, and they've been wittingly and unwittingly eating CWD infected animals for many years. Will it jump to humans? I don't pretend to be smart enough to know, but I'd be ling if I pretended I was very worried about that. I'm sincerely worried about what it does to deer populations. Pat Durkin has written about studies in syndicated newspaper columns. Pat is a very straight, show me the data type shooter. Some pockets are fugly with incident and mortality rates. I think we'll survive it, but am equally convinced this is a very bad thing for deer.

^^^Durkin appears to either be loved or hated by WI deer hunters. He does dig into the facts on CWD, but he also tends to put his own "spin" on things. I suppose that's what a good writer does

Oh, he has strong feelings on things, some I agree with and some I don't. He's doesn't hesitate to interject his thoughts on a piece, but I also don't doubt him for a second when he writes stuff like "XX% of bucks of # years old and older have been found within "this" area to have contracted CWD. "Farmer Jones sent 3 bucks in for testing found dead on his ### acre property in Sfsdfsdfsdfg Country. Five neighboring properties, consisting of an additional #### acres, also found ## bucks of # age and older came back testing positive for CWD." Knowing him as I do, I'm confident those types of statements are well researched and accurate.

to actually answer J-bird's ?, When it comes to bucks I have 3+ years history on some of these properties, it's a completely different feeling then when arrowing a buck on public land. There's a connection for me with the buck I've followed since 2.5 or 3.5 years of age, only to kill him as an 5 or older. There's a buck I'm going to try to kill this year at 7.5 that I've followed VERY closely since he was 3.5. If I get him, it will be a bit surreal, as it has been with others like that. On the flip side, it's impossible for me to beat the feeling of arrowing public land 3.5+s. They're both rewarding in their on way, but there's no denying a stronger connection to the ones I've followed closely for multiple years.

to actually answer J-bird's ?, When it comes to bucks I have 3+ years history on some of these properties, it's a completely different feeling then when arrowing a buck on public land. There's a connection for me with the buck I've followed since 2.5 or 3.5 years of age, only to kill him as an 5 or older. There's a buck I'm going to try to kill this year at 7.5 that I've followed VERY closely since he was 3.5. If I get him, it will be a bit surreal, as it has been with others like that. On the flip side, it's impossible for me to beat the feeling of arrowing public land 3.5+s. They're both rewarding in their on way, but there's no denying a stronger connection to the ones I've followed closely for multiple years.
Do you feel any different taking deer on places where you are personally invested vs deer from places where you simply are not?

My place I have worked my butt off so shooting any deer is my decision and it's as simple as that and it is very rewarding. I fear that if I take a deer off my folks place it will have sort of a "hollow" feeling since I am not personally invested in the property. Not sure if that makes any sense or not......

If I was hunting somebody else's land, my harvest goal would be based on what the owner wanted.
Couldn't have said it better.

Do you feel any different taking deer on places where you are personally invested vs deer from places where you simply are not?

My place I have worked my butt off so shooting any deer is my decision and it's as simple as that and it is very rewarding. I fear that if I take a deer off my folks place it will have sort of a "hollow" feeling since I am not personally invested in the property. Not sure if that makes any sense or not......

I get what you are saying, but think it's probably impossible for even you to answer that either way until it happens. So long as I scouted & set up the stand myself, I wouldn't feel "hollow," but I'm not you. I grew up hunting deer on grounds I didn't have any control over and still hunt those places today. Way more deer I've killed came from grounds I had no control over than grounds I do. To me, it's "how" I hunt them that matters to me, but you may be completely different.

I get what you are saying, but think it's probably impossible for even you to answer that either way until it happens. So long as I scouted & set up the stand myself, I wouldn't feel "hollow," but I'm not you. I grew up hunting deer on grounds I didn't have any control over and still hunt those places today. Way more deer I've killed came from grounds I had no control over than grounds I do. To me, it's "how" I hunt them that matters to me, but you may be completely different.
Thanks Steve!

In MN the bowhunters are whispering enough is enough at Camp Ripley. Take the numbers back too far and the hunters will quit coming. Its a fear of mine as President of a deer group. Bring the herd back far enough and hunters leave the sport. ducks. pheasants. deer.
That is not a fear. It IS happening!

I get enjoyment out of finding/placing a stand/setup and actually seeing a deer from that location.
My own land is a different feeling as I know it so well.
Occasionally, during mid week rifle season, I will pick a pick a public land location based on a map (electronic or otherwise).

Take a wooden stool, and a camouflage face mask and go in and sit there for the day. I enjoy the solitude, the good book, and if I see a deer the day is a success. This is usually up in large tracts of zone 1 forest. I have seen fisher, otters, one wolf, and other animals.