All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humic acid

Charles Clear

5 year old buck +
I've been doing some reading about the benefits of humic acid for root building and overall soil health. I have a few spots that would benefit from it if it works. Anyone every use it around their trees?

Last edited:
Humic acid started getting alot of pub about 7 years ago in the ag sector. Been using it now for around 3 years in the home orchard. Essentially microdosing with it to help build up the relatively light soils I planted into.

I'm trying to run a no spray program but am focusing on soil health to provide my defenses.

So far the verdict is out.

If it were me, I'd simply mulch with organic matter if I was low on any form of humas. It breaks down over time.

If it were me, I'd simply mulch with organic matter if I was low on any form of humas. It breaks down over time.

That's exactly what I do at my home orchard, but my hunting orchard is far less accessible by vehicle.

I've been doing some reading about the benefits of humic acid for root building and overall soil health. I have a few spots that would benefit from it if it works. Anyone every use it around their trees?

Around what type of trees?

In what type of delivery?

Around what type of trees?

In what type of delivery?

crabapples, apples, and a couple of pears. 1 ounce to a gallon of water sprayed

horse.PNG

Humic acid forms naturally in healthy soils. Its what makes them black. The best illustration I ever saw of this was when crimson and camo documented the change in his sand over a couple years of mowing with no dead period for his soil. I believe he turned his sand black 3-4" deep simply because he didn't stop the natural production of humic acid by stopping the growing cycle with tillage or spraying.

If anything, stimulate life with a little lime or gypsum, and some clover and chicory. Then you won't be able to stop the formation of humic acid. All that foo foo sprinkle is to band aid the biological damage done to soil in pursuit of monospeciation.

View attachment 31921

Humic acid forms naturally in healthy soils. Its what makes them black. The best illustration I ever saw of this was when crimson and camo documented the change in his sand over a couple years of mowing with no dead period for his soil. I believe he turned his sand black 3-4" deep simply because he didn't stop the natural production of humic acid by stopping the growing cycle with tillage or spraying.

If anything, stimulate life with a little lime or gypsum, and some clover and chicory. Then you won't be able to stop the formation of humic acid. All that foo foo sprinkle is to band aid the biological damage done to soil in pursuit of monospeciation.

Thank you! I have a beautiful stand of legacy, renovation, and durana clover in the hunting orchard. I’m hoping it helps the trees. Thank you for the info

SD ... can you elaborate on this process and how to go about it?

"..change in his sand over a couple years of mowing with no dead period for his soil"

SD ... can you elaborate on this process and how to go about it?

"..change in his sand over a couple years of mowing with no dead period for his soil"

https://www.soilbiotics.com/files/7373-soilbiotics-humicacid.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk