How's the Hunting Going This Year?

Put hunt #8 in the books this am. First time I have been skunked this year, which has been all too common in the past. I had several does and fawns pass by me the other night. I have seen a couple small bucks and one ok 4x4 that I would have shot, but killed 2 of similar size last season so he got a pass from me. Holding out for the biggest one I have on camera or maybe my 3 legged buck that is 5.5 yrs old now. Of course once the rut kicks in something new might show up.

I've been out 4 times since 10/1 opening. Seen 4 does, 2 fawns, no bucks. Crops are still mostly all still up in my area, so once they get harvested, I think it'll pick up.

I HAVE seen 4 dogs, roaming my woods. They're on the hunt too. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sounds like the start to a great season for you guys! what part of central PA are you in? I grew up in Clinton County and live in Sullivan County now.
I live in Huntingdon County, and the farm is in Centre County. I just drove through Clinton County yesterday- saw a roadkilled coyote on 80 between Loganton and Jersey Shore. It's been an interesting season since there's so many acorns and still a lot of corn standing, which both make it difficult to pattern deer. We have had our success by going to historic travel corridors, and we have so many deer it's just a matter of putting in a little time before one wanders by. I actually feel bad saying that knowing how tough deer hunting is for so many in PA right now, but we have a combination of factors that make our little area abnormal. We will probably try to take somewhere around 8-10 does total between us and guests.

I live in Huntingdon County, and the farm is in Centre County. I just drove through Clinton County yesterday- saw a roadkilled coyote on 80 between Loganton and Jersey Shore. It's been an interesting season since there's so many acorns and still a lot of corn standing, which both make it difficult to pattern deer. We have had our success by going to historic travel corridors, and we have so many deer it's just a matter of putting in a little time before one wanders by. I actually feel bad saying that knowing how tough deer hunting is for so many in PA right now, but we have a combination of factors that make our little area abnormal. We will probably try to take somewhere around 8-10 does total between us and guests.
I hear ya about feeling guilty saying you have a lot of deer...we have pockets of high deer densities and I have access to them, then just a few mikes away on state land people go all season seeing 3 deer.

I agree, Jeff & Phil. State land is def. the worst when it comes to deer. It seems like the best deer numbers are on private ground where food plots, fruit trees, and some ag.crops are available. I'm happy more people / camps are planting spruce, pines, hemlock, etc. for heavy cover too. I wish the state would do the same. At least there ARE some good pockets scattered around.

I'll give the state credit in one area, guys. There is a lot of logging going on in state forests where it is desperately needed. There will be an increase in cover and food in those areas, and if they can better utilize antlerless harvest to achieve a sustainable population, better hunting is just 2-3 years away in those places. I bear hunted south of Coudersport last year (and will again this year), and there is a good bit of logging going on. We saw deer and fair amount of deer sign in those areas, so there is hope!

I pretty much only hunt private land in archery season...by the time rifle season comes in I need to stretch my legs! I head for the big woods up in the mtns on state forest land. Just a few short years ago I would see deer every time out....I have only ever pulled the trigger up there 3 times though. Now when I go up there I have to work a lot harder to get on the deer...definitely a lot fewer deer around up there now.
The state has done a decent amount of logging up there in the last 5 yrs....in fact right in the middle of one my favorite spots....a great funnel. The problem is that they fence the cuts within months in order to keep deer out! The fences stay up any where from 8-10 years or more. They do this to get the new growth above the deer! The DCNR is definitely not as interested in deer as they are timber revenue...which is what the state forest system is managed for...I get that.

i used to be a branch officer and BOD member for a local QDMA branch (now defunct...dont get me started on that). We worked with hand in hand with the local PGC food and cover corps and we planted 30-40 acres of food plots on SGL 13 every year for several years. we would of had almost double that planted in the next few years but the soil is so sour we had to lime 2-3 years in advance. we had an additional 30 acres in various stages of lime prep. Another branch is very active on SGL 57 and they have a lot of food plots and browse cuttings going over there. The nut that we wanted to crack was the DCNR and the state forest land. We just ran out of man power to start that process...then things went south and we dissolved the branch. the loyalsock state forest has some real potential....i would have loved to have worked with the DCNR to have done some food plotting and cover plantings.

I pretty much only hunt private land in archery season...by the time rifle season comes in I need to stretch my legs! I head for the big woods up in the mtns on state forest land. Just a few short years ago I would see deer every time out....I have only ever pulled the trigger up there 3 times though. Now when I go up there I have to work a lot harder to get on the deer...definitely a lot fewer deer around up there now.
The state has done a decent amount of logging up there in the last 5 yrs....in fact right in the middle of one my favorite spots....a great funnel. The problem is that they fence the cuts within months in order to keep deer out! The fences stay up any where from 8-10 years or more. They do this to get the new growth above the deer! The DCNR is definitely not as interested in deer as they are timber revenue...which is what the state forest system is managed for...I get that.

I've found really good hunting around those fences. At the corners about 100 yards back. After a few years they will even open up the gates. Pretty hard to hunt inside as you can't shoot only about 10 feet but that's where the deer are. I love finding these areas.

I know what you mean about the shooting ranges on the pipelines. And the competition w/ food plots. My camp has 2 pipelines near our borders and the clover is outrageous. No apple trees on them though - WE have the fruit trees ! Apples, crabapples & pears. But the pipelines have cut down on our plot usage. That's why we altered our plantings a bit. We planted winter wheat & winter rye and 2 plots of brassica for when the cold makes the clover go dormant. Hopefully we'll have the greens to draw 'em in when the pipelines get matted down. So far our fall/winter plots look pretty good, but usage is not much right now - too many acorns in the woods. As the acorns start to decay, business should pick up.

As far as the shooting on the pipelines goes, the biggest, smartest bucks have gotten wise it seems. The first year in our area, when the clover was just getting started, bucks of all sizes were seen in daylight. Not so any more. Now, on many trips around my mountain area, at last light I see young bucks & does w/ fawns. Same at first light. Like any other situation, the older & wiser ones get picky about sticking their necks out. My concern is road shooters. Pipelines in my area run right along roads and there's no way to screen them. But the other side of that coin is with gas traffic on those roads all the time, it would be a risky trick to poach one & not get caught. From my experiences the last 3 - 4 yrs., I think the gas workings and daylight attention given around the pipelines has driven the best bucks into the thickest, heaviest cover. I believe completely that areas w/ the best cover will hold the better deer.

I agree with your take on the " Sock " state forest. As in many places around the state, management for timber crop does little for ANY game animal. The " telephone - pole " woods loaded w/ hay-scented ferns is a habitat disaster. No food or cover for anything except acorns which are seasonal at best - and scarce in some years. Fern - infested areas are super tough to get tree regeneration going because of ferns' dense root system. Foresters have told me this in person. We've also had a lot of logging/timber sales over my way. One BIG problem is the overabundant amount of striped maple taking over where logging has been done. Timber & food - wise it's a worthless tree. A weed essentially. It out - competes other more desirable tree seedlings trying to get a foothold. I talked to a forester on a ridge-top near my camp and he was going off the road to look at a " clear-cut
fail " as he called it. The state had done a clear-cut some 20 years prior and it was taken over by ferns and a sea of barberry. No tree regeneration except scarce red maples. I agree with you logging is needed. That helps ALL animals. I just worry about the follow-up care given to the forest once logged.

I've found really good hunting around those fences. At the corners about 100 yards back. After a few years they will even open up the gates. Pretty hard to hunt inside as you can't shoot only about 10 feet but that's where the deer are. I love finding these areas.

not sure what you mean....but one of my favorite funnels is partly caused by the corner of a fence, a bench below the ridge and a saddle in the ridge. the fences can be used to help out..but i think some of the cut areas would be more beneficial to deer if the fences weren't there in the first place....the fences are there to keep deer out, and often the best habitat for deer is inside the fences.

Last edited:
Sat both Friday & Saturday afternoon's/evenings saw a shit load of tree rats and one fox.

Had a small 6 come by this am, and got winded by a decent buck right after. The wind has switched out of the south, and the deer have shut off. Time to head home early.

I know what you mean about the shooting ranges on the pipelines. And the competition w/ food plots. My camp has 2 pipelines near our borders and the clover is outrageous. No apple trees on them though - WE have the fruit trees ! Apples, crabapples & pears. But the pipelines have cut down on our plot usage. That's why we altered our plantings a bit. We planted winter wheat & winter rye and 2 plots of brassica for when the cold makes the clover go dormant. Hopefully we'll have the greens to draw 'em in when the pipelines get matted down. So far our fall/winter plots look pretty good, but usage is not much right now - too many acorns in the woods. As the acorns start to decay, business should pick up.

As far as the shooting on the pipelines goes, the biggest, smartest bucks have gotten wise it seems. The first year in our area, when the clover was just getting started, bucks of all sizes were seen in daylight. Not so any more. Now, on many trips around my mountain area, at last light I see young bucks & does w/ fawns. Same at first light. Like any other situation, the older & wiser ones get picky about sticking their necks out. My concern is road shooters. Pipelines in my area run right along roads and there's no way to screen them. But the other side of that coin is with gas traffic on those roads all the time, it would be a risky trick to poach one & not get caught. From my experiences the last 3 - 4 yrs., I think the gas workings and daylight attention given around the pipelines has driven the best bucks into the thickest, heaviest cover. I believe completely that areas w/ the best cover will hold the better deer.

I agree with your take on the " Sock " state forest. As in many places around the state, management for timber crop does little for ANY game animal. The " telephone - pole " woods loaded w/ hay-scented ferns is a habitat disaster. No food or cover for anything except acorns which are seasonal at best - and scarce in some years. Fern - infested areas are super tough to get tree regeneration going because of ferns' dense root system. Foresters have told me this in person. We've also had a lot of logging/timber sales over my way. One BIG problem is the overabundant amount of striped maple taking over where logging has been done. Timber & food - wise it's a worthless tree. A weed essentially. It out - competes other more desirable tree seedlings trying to get a foothold. I talked to a forester on a ridge-top near my camp and he was going off the road to look at a " clear-cut
fail " as he called it. The state had done a clear-cut some 20 years prior and it was taken over by ferns and a sea of barberry. No tree regeneration except scarce red maples. I agree with you logging is needed. That helps ALL animals. I just worry about the follow-up care given to the forest once logged.

Around my area, gas traffic gets redirected over all sorts of back country roads so as to spread the road damage and subsequent road work out. One road with a pipeline ROW on it may see heavy traffic for a few weeks, then there will be next to none for several weeks. I have seen MANY giants while spot lighting on pipelines....I'm positive that poachers have as well. I had a conversation with the local WCO about this as well...he said that he has seen a strong correlation between poaching and the ROW's. areas that were once a solid block of timber that a poacher couldn't have effectively jack-lighted a deer, now have perfect shooting lanes planted in food. All that said, poaching in terms of jack lighting isnt nearly as bad as it was years ago in my area. We have had several great WCO's in this area over the last 10 years or so and that has really helped.

uuugggghhh....barberry is no good! luckily i have not seen any around the areas that i hunt! striped maple is prevalent though....I have several forester friends...and they tell me stories like you have relayed.

Yesterday was rifle opener here. Morning was quiet--saw a big black-headed grey fox squirrel, though. We have been trying to manipulate our pine tracts to attract them and they seem to have started to find it. Saw a solid black one in the same spot last year. Yesterday afternoon, deer came out of the ground. They were everywhere. I decided at last light to put a doe in the freezer. Should be a good year.

This has become scary bad now. I had perfect winds for all my sits this weekend and saw nothing. Four weekends in and I still have not seen a deer. I am not sure this is the problem but there has been a huge increase in coyotes. I am getting pics of them all day and night in my plots. Three years of running cameras and I don't think I have ever had a daytime pic and I probably had 10 different times of pics in the last two weeks. One day there was two of them laying down right in front of the camera. They are hunting these plots around the clock. Last year my plots were almost gone by now, this year it looks like they have not been touched. Worst than that I grabbed the chip on the way out today of the plot I sat yesterday morning and there was a big yote standing there at 730am. Everyone in the area is reporting no deer. My fear is another bad winter with all these yotes and it is going to get much worse.

No food and a bad winter will put a hurtin' on the yotes, too. Need to trap them suckers.

The season has gone pretty well so far, every sit I 've seen a good amount of deer and had a few encounters with one doe down. The encounters with bucks I would shoot have been at a longer distance, movement here in MI seems to be picking up.

This has become scary bad now. I had perfect winds for all my sits this weekend and saw nothing. Four weekends in and I still have not seen a deer. I am not sure this is the problem but there has been a huge increase in coyotes. I am getting pics of them all day and night in my plots. Three years of running cameras and I don't think I have ever had a daytime pic and I probably had 10 different times of pics in the last two weeks. One day there was two of them laying down right in front of the camera. They are hunting these plots around the clock. Last year my plots were almost gone by now, this year it looks like they have not been touched. Worst than that I grabbed the chip on the way out today of the plot I sat yesterday morning and there was a big yote standing there at 730am. Everyone in the area is reporting no deer. My fear is another bad winter with all these yotes and it is going to get much worse.

My neighbors land is covered with them right now, and they are coming over on me too. I never heard such a racket in my life in his woods when I came out tonight. This is getting ready to change. They are mowing the neighbor's fields this week, and my dad has his rifles ready to hunt. In years past he has taken as many as 6 after a mowing in those fields. I wouldn't want to be a yote in the same county as him. I've had three on camera at the same time recently, but I think that will change soon.

Go get 'em Dad !!! Keep a tally for us!