How's the Hunting Going This Year?

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
We talk alot of habitat on here which is great....but....we at least in part do what we do with habitat in order to better our hunting opportunities. That said...how's the hunting going for every one this year?

I have only gotten out twice...one of which I did not carry a weapon...i took my wife on her first cross bow hunt. A good friend of mine let us sit in his box blind over a nice food plot in the woods. we saw one deer...a small yearling doe. My wife decided to let her walk and wait on a bigger doe or buck for the freezer. I was very proud of her for not just wanting to shoot something when given the opportunity. Don't get me wrong....i would have been thrilled for her to shoot that little bugger....she has never killed a deer. But it still was pretty cool when she whispered to me that she was gonna let it walk.

The other sit was a morning sit on my buddy's new property. Saw zero deer, he saw one at about 70 yds. that was my first sit of the year so it was just great to be up a tree again. Here's my view from that morning....potentially a future food plot.

As of now I'm just biding my time before i start hunting my property. Its small...so I can't put too much pressure on the spot early. The way the property lays out, the way the surrounding properties lay out, and my personal observations over the years pushed me in the direction of setting the property up as rut spot. I have one sub par (antler wise) 3 yr old that has been consistently showing up after dark to work my mock scrapes....par for the course on my property. Sometime in the next week or so he will most likely make some day light appearances...and so will other bucks as they show up to check out the does that use my property day in and day out. once that starts happening I will start slipping in to hunt.

Good post. The times I have gone out it has been fairly slow. I've seen some does and fawns. That has been about it. Things will be heating up soon I hope and I will also be hunting more.

Good post. The times I have gone out it has been fairly slow. I've seen some does and fawns. That has been about it. Things will be heating up soon I hope and I will also be hunting more.
yeah...i cant wait for things to heat up!

I have been out the last three weekends and have yet to see a deer. Our numbers are half of last year after the brutal winter. I have one 2.5 four point using the property daily. Tomorrow is the last day of bow season, then a week of muzzleloader, then 6 weeks of riffle. I have been doing short sits when the wind is perfect. Temps have been pretty warm, big cold front coming Saturday and looks like the cold will be staying. I have not sat on my deep deep woods plot, been saving it for a perfect wind which should be Saturday. Hopefully we get an early migration this year because my clover plots have barely been touched. Maybe I can get a few to stick around next year.

Killed doe #11 last night. Have only seen one yearling buck, and only one of my rubbing posts has seen action. There is some big boys around, hopefully things pick up.

Only been out twice so far for short sits and saw nothing. Haven't been to serious about hunting yet or the time for it. I got off of work this weekend, the first in 2 months. Going to hunt hard.

Guiding the kids has been great! I'm patiently waiting for one deer to move during shooting hours on my property.

i have barely been out. haven't been that interested since i don't have any doe tags this year. will start to hunt hard next weekend. taking 6 days of work off over the next 3 weeks and will be hunting all weekend, every weekend through thanksgiving (much of it with the kids).

i did see 3 does and had a bear almost climb up my tree with me. otherwise, it's been slow.

Haven't been out yet due to a family medical issue. From reports I get from camp members, it's been pretty slow. Most years I get really into it around the end of Oct. when things cool down ( temp. ) and bucks are in the seeking phase. I seem to see more daylight activity then. Good luck over in Sully, Phil. Good idea for a thread. If we were all sittin' on a big porch of a cabin lifting some cold ones - this is what we'd be B.S.-ing about !!! :D

Good luck over in Sully, Phil. Good idea for a thread. If we were all sittin' on a big porch of a cabin lifting some cold ones - this is what we'd be B.S.-ing about !!! :D

thanks BnB! Yep...I'm sitting on my hands until daylight activity picks up...getting antsy though! i could use a couple of 12 oz curls...lol.

I've been out twice and had multiple shot opportunities at does/fawns but it's 1 tag 1 buck for me this year. Patiently waiting to get back out once weather cools down.

Guiding the kids has been great! I'm patiently waiting for one deer to move during shooting hours on my property.

I'm guiding the wife now....will be a couple of years before the little guy is old enough...really looking forward to it!

I have been slipping out at least once a wk for an evening hunt. Been seeing lots of doe's and yearlings which makes me extremely happy. Not gonna shoot any doe's for second yr in a row now. I have laid off the food plots and have been hunting in some deep timber trying to catch ol big boy eating acorns. The problem is their are acorns everywhere! Im ready for end of Oct as well. Daylight activity has really slowed down

I have been slipping out at least once a wk for an evening hunt. Been seeing lots of doe's and yearlings which makes me extremely happy. Not gonna shoot any doe's for second yr in a row now. I have laid off the food plots and have been hunting in some deep timber trying to catch ol big boy eating acorns. The problem is their are acorns everywhere! Im ready for end of Oct as well. Daylight activity has really slowed down
One of the reasons I am happy we don't have oaks around me!

One doe down for me, and one down for my dad. We've been hunting sparingly at our place, partly due to being busy, partly because the rut is when it really gets fun and partly because we don't have to try very hard to shoot does. By the end of next week the activity should start to increase. I may try to nab one more doe before the rut hits (we have the farm in DMAP since we have lots of deer in the area, so I have 3 doe tags.)

One doe down for me, and one down for my dad. We've been hunting sparingly at our place, partly due to being busy, partly because the rut is when it really gets fun and partly because we don't have to try very hard to shoot does. By the end of next week the activity should start to increase. I may try to nab one more doe before the rut hits (we have the farm in DMAP since we have lots of deer in the area, so I have 3 doe tags.)

Sounds like the start to a great season for you guys! what part of central PA are you in? I grew up in Clinton County and live in Sullivan County now.

All of a sudden the bucks show up, I've already seen 5 this morning, and around 20 does. The bucks must not be avoiding the does. The borderline shooter I saw was actually with a herd of 5 does.
Way to early for rutting, but interesting none the less.

All of a sudden the bucks show up, I've already seen 5 this morning, and around 20 does. The bucks must not be avoiding the does. The borderline shooter I saw was actually with a herd of 5 does.
Good to hear. Seems like my doe's have kinda taken over the plots lately. Hopefully our Mo bucks will start sniffing around as well!

Good to hear. Seems like my doe's have kinda taken over the plots lately. Hopefully our Mo bucks will start sniffing around as well!

We will find out in the morning!;)

I almost hit a young buck running with does last night about 8:30pm. The buck was first in line. :D