How would you graft this one - got photos too.

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I am going to give you some updates on my Fireblight battle that started last year. I have three Wolf River trees that were probably third leaf trees that were not salvageable by cutting out the blight. So I cut them back and think I will graft a new variety on to them. The trees are about 2 inches in diameter. What type of graft would you use? A cleft graft seems to be my only option unless I want to try a whip graft on the
leader that is shooting up on this tree. The other trees do not have a leader to whip graft.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 16
For those of you who are new to grafting here is a photo of a cleft graft. I am certainly not the one to be teaching the classes but I really do like the folks on this forum and with the loss of some members I will try to do what I can to pass on some information.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 8
I personally would do a rind/bark graft. Cleft grafting just seems too invasive to me.

Here are a couple photos of my attempt to dig out the cankers in a couple of my trees. In the first tree I feel pretty good that I got every
Thing out and it will be fine. It is on an Aztec Fugi that has some resistance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 15
Now on the second tree - well I carved out as much of the damage as I thought I could without making the tree to weak. Honestly
I considered this one to be an "experiment" for the entire forum. After I cut out the damage and sprayed it with copper, I coated the wound
with Treekote.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 8
Experiments are good, thats how we all learn. Besides that cleft graft, Honker's reference to bark grafts is also a good option.

Bark grafting is my favorite way by far had great success, but on trunks as small as the one pictured the bark is very thin and hard to slip and get the scion in.

I didn't know you could cut out an infection, interesting...

I didn't know you could cut out an infection, interesting...

I have seen it done but have not tried it myself. I will keep everyone aprised as time passes.