How to skin a coyote?

Tap

5 year old buck +
I just killed my first yote and I'd like to do something with the hide. 1st...is it even worth tanning a hide that was shot in early May?
2nd... If it is worth it, I think I'd like it done with feet, claws head etc. I guess it's considered a taxidermy type hide? Does anybody have some good YouTube links for that? A friend said he would like to try doing it (he's never done one before).

I was standing at the kitchen sink and I saw her trotting across the top of my plot 135 yards away. I grabbed the 5.56 and made a perfect shot from my porch
cedaeaa4114da4ebc62004d60d378f0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just killed my first yote and I'd like to do something with the hide. 1st...is it even worth tanning a hide that was shot in early May?
2nd... If it is worth it, I think I'd like it done with feet, claws head etc. I guess it's considered a taxidermy type hide? Does anybody have some good YouTube links for that? A friend said he would like to try doing it (he's never done one before).

I was standing at the kitchen sink and I saw her trotting across the top of my plot 135 yards away. I grabbed the 5.56 and made a perfect shot from my porch
cedaeaa4114da4ebc62004d60d378f0f.jpg

I am sure there is a technique to get the best hide, no expert though.

Save the head and clean the skull for your collection.

I am sure there is a technique to get the best hide, no expert though.

Save the head and clean the skull for your collection.
Definitely. It'll be the 3rd yote skull in my collection (the 1st one that I killed, though). I have a baboon skull, wolverine, otter, beaver, linx, bobcat, and a few other skulls and odd ball bones. I love this stuff!

Being your first yote I understand.
Get a crazy sharp knife and cut it from heel to heel and start peeling it towards the head until your done and it looks like a big sock.
Be very carefull splitting the tail and peeling it's easy to pull it off and ruin tail. Go slow around head and feet skin all the way to claw roots.
You can ball it up then and put it in a big freezer bag and freeze it.
I would pay to have it soft tanned right if it means that much to you, it will cost around $100 to have done into a cased wall hang and will last forever.

And congrats!

Get a crazy sharp knife and cut it from heel to heel and start peeling it towards the head until your done and it looks like a big sock.
Be very carefull splitting the tail and peeling it's easy to pull it off and ruin tail. Go slow around head and feet skin all the way to claw roots.
I would pay to have it soft tanned right if it means that much to you, it will cost around $100 to have done into a cased wall hang and will last forever.

And congrats!
Thanks!

The difference between a prime December coyote and a May coyote is night and day, but they all skin and tan the same. Congratulations! I will see if I can find a link for you.

Youtube - case skinning a coyote by Coon Creek Outdoors

I am sure there are other videos but that one looks pretty thorough. Take your time they are extremely thin skinned compared to a deer and you will put holes in the hide easily. Better to pull the hide down by hand than to try and cut it off the carcass. Just spent a few hours over the last month teaching a dozen high school Ag class kids how to skin and tan critters and they all got it done successfully.

Last edited:
The difference between a prime December coyote and a May coyote is night and day, but they all skin and tan the same. Congratulations! I will see if I can find a link for you.

Youtube - case skinning a coyote by Coon Creek Outdoors

I am sure there are other videos but that one looks pretty thorough. Take your time they are extremely thin skinned compared to a deer and you will put holes in the hide easily. Better to pull the hide down by hand than to try and cut it off the carcass. Just spent a few hours over the last month teaching a dozen high school Ag class kids how to skin and tan critters and they all got it done successfully.
Thanks. I saw a short video on air skinning. It looked extremely simple. Is air skinning an option?

Last edited:
Congrats on the yote!

I skinned and tanned one that my son shot a few years back. Compared to a deer it skinned hard...
Our local taxidermist tells people he will have them tanned but he isn't skinning them.

That one is my only experience. I'm sure there is a trick I don't know but I don't want to do another.

Congrats on the yote!

I skinned and tanned one that my son shot a few years back. Compared to a deer it skinned hard...
Our local taxidermist tells people he will have them tanned but he isn't skinning them.

That one is my only experience. I'm sure there is a trick I don't know but I don't want to do another.
The trick is a warm (freshly killed coyote) and lots of experience. A skinning gambrel is definitely a plus as well. Very few things are harder to skin than a partially frozen coyote and nothing to hang it from.

I have never tried the air skinning method.

You may get hair slippage unless it's still pretty cool there.You can skin fairly easily but I say that after skinning hundreds.It's really not that hard.I usually send mine to FoxxUSA or USAFoxx don't remember which as it's been a couple years since I sent beaver and coons in

And congrats!

Tube skinning is the best way. This is a good description. Once completely skinned DO NOT FREEZE... Leave the hide inside out and salt the entire hide. Copious amount of salt everywhere. Salt, Salt and more salt. Then hang to dry. Once dried send it out to be soft tanned. Yote hides are nice....in the winter.