how to handle potential seeding rate problem

Bc4abc

5 year old buck +
my most recent food plot may have a problem ...I seeded WR and Durana.....the rye is coming on fast ...maybe too fast, it looks awfully thick. I fear I have put too much rye seed down and it will not allow my Durana to do well. is the best way to combat this to mow frequently? or should i be doing something else?

Thanks

It won't be a problem. For Durana, each time the WR hits a foot or so, mow it back to 6". Durana is low growing and once established, drought tolerant and persistent. This is only needed the first spring. This will allow enough light in. Try to mow when rain is in the forecast if possible. Don't take equipment on a wet field.

Perennial clover spends the first fall, winter, and spring putting its energy into a root system. Once that is established it is fairly aggressive. The WR is keeping the weeds at by while the clover is establishing. Durana is slower to establish than other clovers. Keep an eye on the WR and mow it back to let light into the durana. Mowing won't hurt the rye. It is an annual and will eventually die in the summer and the Durana will fill in.

I typically shoot for about 10 lbs/ac of Durana and 60 to 100 lbs/ac of WR. If you were in that ballpark, you will be fine.

Thanks,

Jack