how to get rid of clover in lawn

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
I had some recent threads about food plots and how to properly grow things. Well I was out mowing my lawn (which is attached to my hunting property) and I must have spilled clover seed on it last fall because I have noticed some pretty large sections (like 3ft by 3ft) areas where clover is really starting to take over (actually looks better than parts of my food plots haha). Anyways, what is the bet way to get rid of the clover in my yard? Thanks for the advice!

2 4 D

Trimec or 2 4 D.

Yep - 2,4-D. It is the same active ingredient found in Ortho Weed-B-Gone (6.42%).

2.5 - 3 oz per gallon of water in you tank sprayer should do the job.

I smacked my yard once to kill the broadleaf weeds with a product called crossbow/crossroad and a few weeks later the wife was upset because, "You killed half the #$%@ yard!"......well, half the yard was weeds! It is 2-4D ester & Triclopyr. You can find both, I find crossbow at $115/2.5 gallon & Crossroad at $100/2.5 gallon and $45/gal at my local Rural King stores. The crossroad is a generic version of the crossbow product.....works just as good in my opinion.

Do you guys add any Dawn or another sticker to the 2,4-D ??

I tend to add some AMS - but that is because of the heavy iron content of my well water (the iron can weaken the active chemicals in the herbicide). I only use a "sticker" when spraying grasses.

Check the ingredients if it has surfactant in the mix your ok. If not give the mix a few squirts of liquid dish detergent. The detergent will break the surface tension of the water and allow the ingredients to stick to the leaves. Note to self don't add the soap until you have filled the tank completely or you will end up fighting suds.