Frost clover begining of winter?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
I am going up north to camp, it is in lake effect snow area. Some years we get hit light, others there's 2-3ft of snow still in mid-late april. Bringing up the seeder and some clover.

What do you bad snow area guys do? I am rebuilding about 1/2 the plots up there. So, I will be only doing a 1/2 acre or so, not a huge gamble. May spread it all incase I dont redo all the places I plan to.

Might seed a spot I started to make a food plot trail like 3 years ago, but another new member has a stand up there and plans to do a little plot work.

My experience is limited but I can say that I planted mine in the spring after several sprays of glysophate to take out any green stuff. The second year it was awesome! Don't forget you may have to add fertilizer (not for a frost seed though - in the spring).

Caught redhanded in the act. I almost forgot where this tree camera was. I made this plot in april 2021. Where the poorly placed treestand is is another plot about the same size. Lower lot is very sandy and river rocky the upper plot is very rich organic matter. Litterally day and night differences 50 yards apart. The lower plot has a dug out eorsion control ditch. Thinking the DEC complained about the mud n mess the loggers did back when they logged up here 2005ish or so. Loggers are always in and out of the lease.

I am moving that stand this spring. Was tmpted to do it this weekend, but I was alone up at camp. Bad enough I used the chainsaw without nobody around. Besides, moving treestand is the few ativities my club mates like to do up there. Takes about 2 or 3 beers to get it to sit on the tree just right............

Put durana, dutch white, medium red, and crimson clover. I used to just do ladino and medium red, but last 2 years been doing clover mixes, sometimes even with alfalpha. I ordered patriot clover, but the place I got it from was out and sent durana instead. Zone 3b up there. Oddly enough, seem to like the result a touch better with fancy clover. Seeded a day before snow. Likely going to be solid snow for this year. More coming this weekend. Besides this spot, had another old log landing and the snowmobile trail.

Not sure if the rye didnt take that well. Looked so so mid october, now i think the deer hammered it to death. Better them than the trail mower. Be interesting to see what the winter rye does in the spring.

Attachments

• MFDC0124.JPG
    MFDC0124.JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 17