How to display sheds?

Just awesome Sandbur. The buck and whole story with the sheds and all is just awesome

Glad I checked back on this thread to see the pics.

Nice one Sandbur!

I just checked this thread as well. Congrats, Bur, on a really great buck !! Really happy for you. Very cool pix and having a good neighbor to share some blackberry with after the kill is top-notch !! Sharing the sheds with you is a great gesture and points to YOUR character as a man. Remote handshake to you and your neighbor !!

I really like the odd points - it makes for super character for a wall mount. Keep up the good habitat work and managing your local herd. Again .... congrats on a great season !!!:)

That is a great buck! Congrats.

great buck! i hate when perfectly good sheds get holes drilled in them.....to me the coolest thing about sheds is that you can pick them up and hold them, and look at them, and really get a feel for what they are and what it would be like to have that kind of weight on your head. The coolest thing i have ever been able to do with sheds is ID rubs made by their former owner. YOu could really see how the streaks in the bark lined up with the burs and extra trash growing below and from the brows.

I would absolutely find a way to display on a shelf or table under the mount so they are accessible and can be handled easily.

I have a friend that killed an 8 yr old buck that he had lots of history with, 4 years of at least one shed each year (i think 6 sheds total), lots of trail cam pics, and few pics taken with a hand held camera while out driving around. he opted for a pedestal mount. He cut down a red cedar that the buck had rubbed for several years and built a stand to insert the stump end into. the he cut the tree off about 3 feet above the top of the rub, which gave him basically a 7 foot section of tree about the 8" in diameter. He secured the mount to the cedar tree above the rub and used the 3" to 6"nubs he left from some of the branches he cut off the tree and hung the sheds from those branch nubs by their brow tines. he has this whole thing standing in the corner of his "man cave room" in the basement. It sits out from the corner about 3' from each wall so there is enough space to reach around to grab the sheds that are hanging on the tree. he then framed about 8-10 pics of the deer, trail cam pics, regular hand held camera pics and pics from day he killed the buck and has the hung on the two walls of the corner so they are visible around the mount. I used to have pics of this set up, maybe i can find them...but i think they were lost a few hard drives ago. i also dont live in the area any more so i can just take a few next time i stop by for a beer.

same friend has another buck mounted that he had 3 sheds from. he went with the pedestal mount again and built a cabinet with glass on three sides(back wall was wood, front was glass door, and both sides were glass), he then built 3 shelves in the cabinet to lay each shed on. it does look very nice but you have to kind crouch down to really see the sheds in the cabinet.

I have a pair of sheds from a buck that is being head mounted. My wife does not want the sheds attached to a panel with the head mount.

Does anyone have pictures of different displays they have used?

Are the antlers removable from the display?

She is using the antlers for decorations. One is on the table under the head mount with a candle and the other is on a nearby table with some glass conifers.

It works for both of us!

If you have a wagon wheel hanging light lay the sheds on top of the light ,then take some type of florist or craft wire and wrap the wire around the horns to keep them in place.

Dan here are a couple of pictures. My neighbors had called him Blackberry Junior and they were kind enough to give me the sheds.

DIPPER-please say something nice or nothing at all. This is a warning and I will report you. I have had ENOUGH of your caustic comments!

View attachment 8052

View attachment 8054

Here is how my wife has used the sheds. I like it, they are in the living room, and am especially happy that SHE likes it.
( I had them just piled in a corner.)
View attachment 13337 20170603_175130.jpg View attachment 13337

The Mrs. would call those "dust catchers", and that's why she's not going to be allowed to decorate my future man cave. :)

Of course the vintage chainsaws will be worse.

IMG_6549.PNG I made mine into an antler basket

Looks like it all turned out very nice sandbur! Heck of a buck! Congrats!

Nice buck and mount. Congrats again!

Looks good Sandbur, very nice mounts.

On the shed display I have a few hanging on the wall and a bunch just laying around on top of cabinet or on end table, my boys have pilfered some and I cut a few up for knife handles.
I've never found a matched set, I usually don't find them when I'm looking for them I find them when I'm just walking the property or mushroom hunting. In decades I've never found more than a couple dozen, a few have been nice ones.

bxwQVEy.jpg

Last edited:
They all look good!

My display is lacking.

image.jpeg

I did put one to good use.

image.jpeg