How to display sheds?

WOW ... If you knew Sandbur and the history of Minn deer hunting, and Dipper's sense of humor, you would understand your ignorance.

Like Dipper, I too was looking forward to Sandburs post of the pic of Minnesota's elusive Whitetail buck ... :)
Awwwww, that's so sweet how you jump in to defend Dipper's honor. Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

I will continue to take the high road and further explain myself.
The size and in my opinion, the type of antlers will influence how I will display shed antlers with a shoulder mount. If that is what u in fact want. Tc is a good taxidermist and his idea is great about doing another mount. That can get expensive for some people.
I get real artsy with sheds. A lot of guys love when I counter sink screws into the antlers and hang them off of anything, than repair the hole so you can't tell there's a screw in there. Antlers floating along the wall, it can be done....
It's all about how much focus u want on the sheds, as well. Things can be as simple as leaving the previous year's sheds on an end table or small dresser below the mount. I have that on a 5 year 8 pt I shot. Mount hangs above tv,also mounted on wall. Year 3,4 sheds are layed out on small table below tv. Visitors love picked up the sheds, and comparing the antlers. Hunters and non hunters alike.
Why didn't you say this the first time? This is positive and helpful; your first post was a belt sander.

Sandbur, that is an AWESOME buck, and you deserve it more than most. Congrats, and kudos to your neighbor for being so generous with the sheds. I'm sure that speaks to who you are that they would make that offer. Many could learn from that....

Great deer! No one more deserving.

Awesome buck sandbur!

Nice buck sandbur! I agree with Jeff, your neighbor giving you those sheds definitely speaks to how the folks in the neighborhood view you. I like the sheds hanging from a cord of some type option, simple and still a great way to display them.

Sandbur, very nice buck! Congrats!

How many points does he have?

It looks like the bottle of Blackberry got passed around a few times! :)

Congrats what a great deer and to have shed also, about as good as it gets,

Congrats on the buck.

Does the neighbor also have a trail cam pic by chance? Would be a cool addition to the mount if you could include it.

I nearly hit this buck with my car in late June, 2014. My neighbor owns land east of me and also 2 miles west. This buck came out of his west property and I told him about it. His sons and nephews put up cameras and got numerous pictures of this nontypical later in that summer. The non typical was called Blackberry, but after looking at the picts they had 2 non-typicals. So they had senior and junior. Blackberry Senior was shot one year ago and had much of his rack busted up by then.

This spring they found the sheds and knew the other nontypical (Junior)made it. They had no pictures of him all summer and could not find him. I don't run cameras and the first day I had seen him was the day I shot him.

Fall of 2013, I shot at a decent buck and he only bled for about 15 yards. This buck had an injured back leg, makes me wonder if he is the same buck. The left side of the rack looks similar.

There is a bit more on facebook.

Morrison County Chapter MDHA page or Minnesota Rack Stars

Great neighbors, I have to say. They even planted the corn foodplot for me.

Sandbur, very nice buck! Congrats!

How many points does he have?

It looks like the bottle of Blackberry got passed around a few times! :)

Fifteen or sixteen if you go by the one inch rule. If you go by hanging a ring on them rule, 17 or 18.

The neighbors have a tradition of passing a bottle of blackberry around whenever a nice buck is killed on their land. Each of the last few years they have named a targeted buck Blackberry.

Very cool buck! Always enjoy the stories and history surrounding a deer. Congratulations Sandbur!

Great buck! It's cool that the neighbor gave up the sheds as well - I guess not all neighbors are bad. I like the idea of a trial cam pic as well. Being able to display a history of the deer is pretty cool. I hope your mount and overall display turn out well - I would like to see it when it's all done. I would include that harvest pic as well - somebody looks pretty happy!

All I am going to say about the rest is IMOGIES can save a conversation! I like giving guys some crap from time to time but in words alone it can be difficult to pick up on and be taken seriously. A simple :D or :pcan make all the difference.

Last edited:
Great buck Sandbur!!!

Why didn't you say this the first time? This is positive and helpful; your first post was a belt sander.
I don't owe u any explanation.

Good to see you have more than one nice buck running around sand. A lot of people won't ever shoot a deer that nice, much less two on the property. You have a lot to be thankful for. Good luck with your display.

That is a great buck Sandbur! Congrats. Your years of patience paid off.

That's a heck of a buck, a once in a lifetime type of deer.

I've never mounted a buck next to sheds (primarily because I've never found matching sheds to any deer I've killed). Having said that, I think being able to hold the sheds next to the buck you killed is fun so maybe put them on a shelf or something next to the buck.

That's a heck of a buck, a once in a lifetime type of deer.

I've never mounted a buck next to sheds (primarily because I've never found matching sheds to any deer I've killed). Having said that, I think being able to hold the sheds next to the buck you killed is fun so maybe put them on a shelf or something next to the buck.
That is the same conclusion that I reached. And it is the cheapest besides!