How much venison do you have left?

Started with 2 bambis and a decent buck. At least 40# burger left. Minimal jerky. Lots of round steak and at least 15 packages of backstrap. I'm doing "okay" and should be able to clean most of it out before November.

I used up my last package 9 years ago.

#HuntMN

Are deer that scarce in MN or are you guys just being very selective? I feel spoiled here in IL, seems like I could take 2-3 and not decimate the population. I do also hunt 3 different (but very small) properties. Although the numbers certainly weren't what they once were.

Are deer that scarce in MN or are you guys just being very selective? I feel spoiled here in IL, seems like I could take 2-3 and not decimate the population. I do also hunt 3 different (but very small) properties. Although the numbers certainly weren't what they once were.
Northern MN has a host of problems. Forests are getting old, pressure is consolidating, shall-issue tags, a kill everything culture, fabricated herd numbers, wolves, and poaching.

The last couple years have been better for seeing deer, but to shoot one, majority of the time you'll be killing a fawn, or the only doe near your property that can raise a fawn.

Northern MN has a host of problems. Forests are getting old, pressure is consolidating, shall-issue tags, a kill everything culture, fabricated herd numbers, wolves, and poaching.

The last couple years have been better for seeing deer, but to shoot one, majority of the time you'll be killing a fawn, or the only doe near your property that can raise a fawn.

And now we have CWD in domestic herds in the area. I suspect there will be excess doe permits offered.

And now we have CWD in domestic herds in the area. I suspect there will be excess doe permits offered.

There were too many before. It's going to be a rough ride for our deer for the foreseeable future.

That guy in Becker with the pigs might be onto something.

Jim- I assume you mean too many doe permits and not too many deer?

We will be facing less deer and a younger herd.

It always scare me when people shoot deer and give them away or donate them. I have seen us hit a bad winter (or too many bullets) and the herd is depressed for years.

RESPECT THE RESOURCE, and evaluate each situation carefully. You don't have to fill every tag and every neighbor's tag.

I feel for you guys that still have low deer numbers here in MN. It's hard for me to understand because in west central MN I feel we have too many deer. I can't sit in a stand on a given night and not see 20 plus deer. I do have a buddy 20 miles east of me that hardly sees deer at his place. Hard to comprehend how we can be over run with deer and he doesn't see any just 20 miles away, but I have been to his place and hunted there and they just aren't there.

To the OP's original question, I am half way thru 4 deer, but we have venison once or twice every week. I should have enough to make it to bow opener.