All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much acreage needed for soybeans?

Overall, what are your thoughts on forage beans? I would imagine out weather here is pretty similar to yours, so first frost is going to be between Oct 15 and November or so. I'm curious to see if these have any draw during November. Or, if it is going to be be one of those things up to October, and then back again in December they bring them in.

I'm not sure where you are at. Add a location to your profile when you get a chance. I can comment on my situation. First, I don't need pods. Unless we have a mast crop failure in my area, deer don't use soybean pods. Turkey do, but not deer. Second, I'm far enough south that summer is a bigger stress period than winter here. So, my main focus is on summer forage. Also, weed competition is as much of an issue as browse pressure. I'm not in big Ag country and the only ag within a few miles of me is pasture. So, my plots are the only game in town in the summer and we get some immigration. While Gly resistance due to improper use is not a big issue in my situation, recently we have had an issue with a weed that is naturally resistant to gly, Marestail. The combination of RR Forage beans worked well for me for a number of years. The only downside for me was the seed cost of Eagle beans. After we had a big decline in population, I was able to use less expensive ag beans for a few years. Eventually the Marestail has caused me to abandon beans all together until I can get a handle on Marestail control.

My beans had a good draw through most of October. It did wane somewhat in the second half. Any draw after that came from the cover crop.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm not sure where you are at. Add a location to your profile when you get a chance. I can comment on my situation. First, I don't need pods. Unless we have a mast crop failure in my area, deer don't use soybean pods. Turkey do, but not deer. Second, I'm far enough south that summer is a bigger stress period than winter here. So, my main focus is on summer forage. Also, weed competition is as much of an issue as browse pressure. I'm not in big Ag country and the only ag within a few miles of me is pasture. So, my plots are the only game in town in the summer and we get some immigration. While Gly resistance due to improper use is not a big issue in my situation, recently we have had an issue with a weed that is naturally resistant to gly, Marestail. The combination of RR Forage beans worked well for me for a number of years. The only downside for me was the seed cost of Eagle beans. After we had a big decline in population, I was able to use less expensive ag beans for a few years. Eventually the Marestail has caused me to abandon beans all together until I can get a handle on Marestail control.

My beans had a good draw through most of October. It did wane somewhat in the second half. Any draw after that came from the cover crop.

Thanks,

Jack

Located in SW Missouri. Basically, due west a few hundred miles I believe!

I'm conducting an experiment so will let you know the outcome in a few weeks. I'm in ag country with hundreds of acres of soybeans in the immediate area. I've got about 120 acres of production beans on my farm that were planted in May so they're off and running. This past weekend I planted 2.5 acres way back in the timber with the hope deer were concentrating on the already established beans and would leave these alone until they got a good start. I also drilled HEAVY to maybe withstand what browsing does occur.

Soybeans ... at least 3 acres, put a clover plot by it to take off some pressure.

I have a few small plots that are quite secluded. The deer found them and continued to browse them constantly. I am guessing that your 2.5 acre plot way back in the timber will be browsed to the ground. You did not mention your deer density. I harvest a decent number of does each year for meat for the freezer for myself and my helper who is allergic to red meat and his family.
I am interested in your results so please keep the forum updated in a couple of weeks. Interesting experiment.

I am in northern Wisconsin and have 2.5 acre plot that does well each and every year planted with beans. I use early maturing ag beans and I overseed with rye and brassicas to help but have never been eaten to the ground, produces pods and is the staple of my 80 acres. I plant at 75 pounds per acre, broadcast with my over the shoulder seeder and fertilize at 250 pounds per year. I am in a non-ag area with average deer numbers.

I am in northern Wisconsin and have 2.5 acre plot that does well each and every year planted with beans. I use early maturing ag beans and I overseed with rye and brassicas to help but have never been eaten to the ground, produces pods and is the staple of my 80 acres. I plant at 75 pounds per acre, broadcast with my over the shoulder seeder and fertilize at 250 pounds per year. I am in a non-ag area with average deer numbers.

Where is northern Wisc?

Some areas up there have DPSM of 10-12 deer....

Where is northern Wisc?

Some areas up there have DPSM of 10-12 deer....
Sawyer County.

you bet baiting is all over. However I have seen what having consistent hidden food sources in this case soybeans do and I think it evens out what a pile of corn has to offer. My numbers have improved each year and I am surrounded by public land. I love the magic of soybeans.

Well I checked my experimental plot today and consider it a failure but can't blame the deer alone...TURKEYS! There was 5 or 6 in there when I came down the hill, it was full of tracks and poo, and once they find a seed source its game over. They'll camp out day after day if not disturbed. Got germination and could see where deer nipped some off but I think the birds may have scratched out many more before they ever sprouted.

Overall, what are your thoughts on forage beans? I would imagine out weather here is pretty similar to yours, so first frost is going to be between Oct 15 and November or so. I'm curious to see if these have any draw during November. Or, if it is going to be be one of those things up to October, and then back again in December they bring them in.

Their value to me is changing over time. When I first started using Eagle beans, they were the best bet. Even if deer would not let them canopy, deer would not kill them like ag beans. They would just eat each leaf the beans produced as soon as the produced it. With ag beans, one bite and they were gone. Gly + Eagle were workable when nothing else was.

Eventually, we got our deer densities down, probably even too far. I was then able to use ag beans. If you can establish them, they are just as good. However, after we thinned the pines, marestail grew like crazy from the seed bank and infested our fields. Gly won't touch it. That really reduces the value of RR Eagle beans. Other forage beans like Tyrone are not RR but much less expensive. They may be a better fit if I end up not using gly.

Right now, I'm taking a break from beans and using 24D Ester to manage marestail and planting buckwheat as a smother crop. We will see how things go in the future....

Thanks,

Jack

when I see how low the price of beans is I keep getting tempted to try again, I however can't spring for an exclusion system, and would have to try brute force, making three of my closest plots all beans of some sort, seeing if that would be enough to survive the pressure. the three I am thinking f would total about 4 acres worth. Sadly I know deep down that they would be hammered into oblivion. and plan b would see me chasing the plot with ptt, cc, ghr, and wr.

Well, if you haven't heard...Missouri is in a big ole drought. We are 40% down on rainfall average for the year, and the next couple of weeks doesn't look any better. Bad year to start beans! That being said, last week on the 4th we headed to the farm. There were some (not many) beans going. Deer had eaten them like candy. And, without any rain, they had no chance. Heck, even if we had a E-fence around them I don't think they would be very good at all. In fact, I'm not so sure it hasn't been a good thing that they weren't fenced....Reason being, is we saw more deer poop where we planted than we've ever seen. I am very glad we had / have forage beans, because even though they've been nipped down, they are continuing to sprout where they can. It will definitely be easy to broadcast our fall greens this year! There was also quite a little bit of native forbes mixed in with the beans (due to the beans not being able to canopy without rain), and I also think that this may end up being a good thing as this is a good draw for forage for the deer during this drought. Last time it was this bad, was 7 years ago. As you can tell, I'm trying to stay positive. I was a bit crushed when I saw how things were looking until I saw the amount of poop everywhere. One thing is for sure, I think we are going to be going on a doe mission early fall.